Appeal to trace man who outran police on electric scooter

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
The plod say they're strapped for cash...
They can afford all-terrain Police tractors and ATVs as well to stop Norfolk-Suffolk border smugglers / rural crime. All very Dukes of Hazard esp with the US airbases dotted around.

Suffolk Constabulary has a small but dedicated team determined to help rural communities tackle wildlife and rural crimes.
Rural crime is defined as any crime of an agricultural, livestock, wildlife or heritage nature.
The team has an Inspector, a Sergeant, two Police Constables and three Special Constables. In addition there are seven police officers on the force who have also been trained to tackle wildlife crime. They use tractors, 4x4 vehicles, which are marked up in rural crime livery, as well as a small all-terrain vehicle (ATV). If needed they have access to drones (small unmanned surveillance aircrafts), Apache attack helicopter, satellite (hi-res optical and radar) surveillance to help with intelligence gathering and operational policing.

The team’s current priorities include rural thefts (machinery / plant / diesel and technology such as GPS equip- ment), hare coursing, poaching, raptor persecution, damage to habitat, policing of hunts and heritage crime, including theft of lead from churches. The team also deals with badger baiting, stag hunting with dogs and other unlawful activities which can cause damage to fields, property and vehicles. The team are also trained in CITES (Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species) offences, such as illegal ivory, Rhino horn etc, as well as live specimens of illegal animals. It is also noted that there is a clear link between the aforementioned crimes and serious organised crime groups who are involved with other criminal activity such as turnip and sugar beet smuggling & drugs, trafficking, and slavery.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 33385

They can afford all-terrain Police tractors and ATVs as well to stop Norfolk-Suffolk border smugglers / rural crime. All very Dukes of Hazard esp with the US airbases dotted around.

WTF?!?!!? Are they expecting Norfolk to invade? Norfolks seemed quite friendly when I met a whole bunch of them while out drinking in Spalding many many years ago, but they did ask if I was from Suffolk...

• :D

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
It's all very tribal between the two counties...

The East Anglian derby is for the pride of Anglia. It is those three little words that mean so much for Norwich and Ipswich supporters. Forget El Clasico and the Merseyside derby; the East Anglian derby is extraordinarily tribal. It is difficult for outsiders to understand why this rivalry is so heated.

Forty-three miles separate the two football clubs, and it is a rivalry deeply rooted between the only two professional clubs in Norfolk and Suffolk. It is a contest that forms antagonistic work banter and can create the destruction of friendships and even on the odd occasion families too.

Norwich and Ipswich are like brothers, who have a hate-hate relationship. Jealousy runs deep in the blood. There is a substantial back story of resentment that simmers continuously and boils on derby day.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 33385

It's all very tribal between the two counties...

The East Anglian derby is for the pride of Anglia. It is those three little words that mean so much for Norwich and Ipswich supporters. Forget El Clasico and the Merseyside derby; the East Anglian derby is extraordinarily tribal. It is difficult for outsiders to understand why this rivalry is so heated.

Forty-three miles separate the two football clubs, and it is a rivalry deeply rooted between the only two professional clubs in Norfolk and Suffolk. It is a contest that forms antagonistic work banter and can create the destruction of friendships and even on the odd occasion families too.

Norwich and Ipswich are like brothers, who have a hate-hate relationship. Jealousy runs deep in the blood. There is a substantial back story of resentment that simmers continuously and boils on derby day.

Blimey. It did seem tense till I said "No, I'm not from Suffolk". I'd best not ask what side you're on... in case all hell breaks loose all over these forums...

Do both sides hate Lincolnshire/Yellowbellies?

Police Apache helicopters seem excessive despite all that! Sheez... Maybe they're expecting a Russian invasion?

• :D

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thankfully no one was seriously hurt in the incident, which occurred while the Apache was chasing down a bicycle thief,
It's pretty unusual to get the police to take any notice of bicycle thieves.

D

Deleted member 33385

It's pretty unusual to get the police to take any notice of bicycle thieves.
While returning home on my bike late last night after a 16.5 mile ride in the pouring rain (to test waterproofing, hidden potholes everywhere - I think potholes are more numerous and deepr than I remember in the 80s, because of the constant digging up of roads which communications companies have to do)... I was travelling through a deserted town centre at around 1.43am and all of a sudden, two big shifty looking guys ran out in front of me as an alarm went off loudly in a shop. It suddenly crossed my mind that if I was robbed of my bike, it'd probably be classed as just a mugging, and there would be no chance of a Apache helicopter being deployed for a search and destroy mugger mission...

Odd that such powerful military hardware is sold to community policing, particularly unmodified - and apparently fully armed - advanced war hardware. They have to find new markets I suppose.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
:rolleyes: Looks like a few have been taken for a ride with fake Suffolk Apache chopper, these thing's aren't available for UK civilian force use. Most forces use the widely used Eurocopter's which the Suffolk plod use, the registration # for G- SUFF is a Eurocopter EC135. Also once a Uk G- xxxx registration is issued it isn't re - issued to another aircraft.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have seen fake pics of a Great Western Air Ambulance Charity G-WAAC chopper.

The reason I know is that I am the owner of the de- registered craft which is now currently stored WFU and still in my possession. Originally built and owned by British Airways.

Here is my craft owned since early 90's pic taken in 1995 in Chambley, France.
Chambley was bi -annual event and I flew there over a period of 10 years, up to 600 craft were present and mass ascensions occurred most days over a 7- 10 day period twice a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

I have seen fake pics of a Great Western Air Ambulance Charity G-WAAC chopper.

The reason I know is that I am the owner of the de- registered craft which is now currently stored WFU and still in my possession. Originally built and owned by British Airways.

Here is my craft owned since early 90's pic taken in 1995 in Chambley, France.
View attachment 40189

Have you ever had to do a autorotation landing? Helicopters seem crazy complicated to operate.

Is that you looking at the camera? Travel by air balloon at height (only ever tried it at a funfair) looks really peaceful: no wind noise, silent apart from the occasional burst of ignited hot gasses... I once lived at the top of a twenty storey building on the edge of a cliff - you could see for many miles - about twenty on a clear day, and it was a bit like that - nailed to a point in the sky. The difference was I could easily go get a fresh cup of coffee.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No not this time. The guy in Blue Mike was a qualified instructor he was checking out an acquaintance/syndicate member I sold a part share to before I again owned the craft outright for second time.
I have part owned three other craft in my flying days.
This was the first one I checked out on and went solo in the late 80's owning a third share.

G-RINO.

The second was Ex VH-HIH re- registered as G - BTRX a 50/50 ownership.

In between owning G- WAAC twice I also owned a third share in G - WOOL.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

No not this time. The guy in Blue Mike was a qualified instructor he was checking out an acquaintance/syndicate member I sold a part share to before I again owned the craft outright for second time.
This was the first one I checked out on and went solo in the 80's owning a third share.

G-RINO.
View attachment 40192

View attachment 40194

View attachment 40195

That looks like a great holiday passtime! What's the most memorable journey you've ever made in one? I hesistate to ask about the longest or highest.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are all memorable in their own way & too many to list.

My pre check out flight prior to going solo was one, a very windy day with low cloud we flew along at a great rate of knots over the Berkshire countryside. I made three different approaches to land at about 14 knots nailing all three, he said he hadn't had such a fast fun flight for ages and signed me off for my solo flight to be carried out approx two weeks later.

Another time I took off just South of Horsham and averaged about 22 - 24 knots before a bumpy drag landing on Newtimber Hill at Poynings, the flight was only about 27 mins, next stop was the channel.

I did once land on the beach to the east of Shoreham, having taken off from the Aerodrome a land breeze took me and my passenger out in to the channel for about 1km. I had to opt for skimming low above the sea to catch the evening sea breeze to head inland on to the beach.

Max I ever flew was about 1hr 45m, max altitude was at Chambley to about 6700 feet.
Usually more then 6 or 7 knots ground speed then flying balloons has more risks, a 77k cu ft envelope makes for a good wind catcher.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

I had to opt for skimming low above the sea to catch the evening sea breeze to head inland on to the beach.
That was some quick thinking! Else it'd be criossants for you! Have you stopped hot air ballooning or do you still take to the skies? The highest I've been lately was while bungee jumping... like Dolly Parton: fun but short.

D

Deleted member 33385

Max I ever flew was about 1hr 45m, max altitude was at Chambley to about 6700 feet.
That's seriously high! Did you get any time to take any photos? Must have been quite the view.

D

Deleted member 33385

Max I ever flew was about 1hr 45m
I suppose any longer and you'd be looking at carrying a portaloo... which brings me to the next obvious question: How often did you pee over the side and did you select specific targets when you did?

The parents of a friend of mine own a share in the south of France, they love it. I haven't got around to visiting yet.

D

Deleted member 33385

This was the first one I checked out on and went solo in the late 80's owning a third share.

G-RINO.
View attachment 40192

View attachment 40194

View attachment 40195
I was going to try hang gliding but decided against it after a deeply traumatised fireman friend of a friend told me grisly details about the many hang gliding accidents he'd attended. Your hobby seems far more sensible...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No longer flying but still a PPL holder.
Para sailing and Micro lights did enter my mind to get in to, but never followed them up.
My bees and ebikes mainly occupy me as past times and still some diy as being a retired Joiner still like to keep my hand in at doing any type of diy. Must admit the lock down etc,etc has spurred me on to do a lot more over the last year to our little castle.

Reactions: georgehenry
D

Deleted member 33385

No longer flying but still a PPL holder.
Para sailing and Micro lights did enter my mind to get in to, but never followed them up.
My bees and ebikes mainly occupy me as past times and still some diy as being a retired Joiner still like to keep my hand in at doing any type of diy. Must admit the lock down etc,etc has spurred me on to do a lot more over the last year to our little castle.
I'm imagining a bee and improvised electronic gadget filled little castle, surrounded by hot air balloons - it's great that you're helping the bees, they certainly need it, and we need them. Colony Collapse Disorder is still rife, and it's cause remains a mystery... Bayer's pesticides? They're incrediby smart for such tiny creatures:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/intelligence-test-shows-bees-can-learn-to-solve-tasks-from-other-bees

As an occasional fruit and veg grower, I plant a load of bee friendly flowers every year. What does the honey from your hive(s) taste like? Can you set up a little side business selling it Amazon or ebay? Urban honeys can taste very interesting due to the greater variety of pollens. Do you count them out and count them back in, like racing pigeons?

I think I might grow 6ft tall Tree Spinach this year, because it requires zero maintance and I'm feeling exceedingly lazy, plus wildflowers for the bees...

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Colony disorder collapse is a Yank issue, it doesn't exist elsewhere certainly not in the EU. Cases of complete colonies absconding due to heavy untreated virus loads or varroa occur as also does absconding due to a poor queen, often the occupants simply up root and beg their way in too another colony.
In the UK Honey bees are a plenty every where, where managed. Wild colonies less so due to varroa and virus impact, managed colonies numbers ebb and flow depending on if the beekeeper wishes expand or decrease during the year.
All pollinators in general are the real issue with habitat loss following WW2, climate change and pesticide use which is now less but the damage has been done. Another serious threat is looming on the other side of the channel is with the Asian hornet/Vespa veluntina, so far it hasn't been able to get a foothold over here with incursions being successfully located and eradicated.
All of the older generations who were about in the 60' /70's will notice the impact on pollinators, today the affect can easily be seen by how clean the front of vehicles are. The days of seeing windscreens, headlights and grills splattered with many 100's of dead insects is a thing of the past.