Appeal to trace man who outran police on electric scooter

D

Deleted member 33385

Colony disorder collapse is a Yank issue, it doesn't exist elsewhere certainly not in the EU. Cases of complete colonies absconding due to heavy untreated virus loads or varroa occur as also does absconding due to a poor queen, often the occupants simply up root and beg their way in too another colony.
In the UK Honey bees are a plenty every where, where managed. Wild colonies less so due to varroa and virus impact, managed colonies numbers ebb and flow depending on if the beekeeper wishes expand or decrease during the year.
All pollinators in general are the real issue with habitat loss following WW2, climate change and pesticide use which is now less but the damage has been done. Another serious threat is looming on the other side of the channel is with the Asian hornet/Vespa veluntina, so far it hasn't been able to get a foothold over here with incursions being successfully located and eradicated.
All of the older generations who were about in the 60' /70's will notice the impact on pollinators, today the affect can easily be seen by how clean the front of vehicles are. The days of seeing windscreens, headlights and grills splattered with many 100's of dead insects is a thing of the past.

I discovered an old abandoned beehive box at the end of the garden, when I first moved in... some epic story has obviously played out there on a tiny scale. Beekeeping does look very complicated and involved, and it's been tried before here. Are "Poor" queens lacking in requisite bossiness? I see that many Councils are leaving grass verges to grow wild, which I'm sure will help bees and other wildlife, but probably not hedgehogs - only bridges will help hedgehogs:

https://interestingengineering.com/29-of-the-most-heartwarming-wildlife-crossings-around-the-world

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing