Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Iodine tablets are pretty useless if they are issued after exposure.
My understanding is that they are useful even after the exposure for children, since they are likely to still be low in thyroid iodine, depending on their age. They don't prevent radioactive iodine takeup of course, but can limit it.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Radio 4 said the same thing I think this only applies to England, I’m not sure if you can do the same thing in the rest of the U.K.
The very fact it was Javid rather implies it is England only. Though they are so careless with their language, you can't always be sure.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
My understanding is that they are useful even after the exposure for children, since they are likely to still be low in thyroid iodine, depending on their age. They don't prevent radioactive iodine takeup of course, but can limit it.
I'd like to see carefully performed research to prove that. At the moment, I am remaining agnostic on the specific issue. If they have already taken up some radioactive iodine, it is conceivable that extra iodine would mean the radioactive iodine does not get turned over as quickly as it would without further iodine intake.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'd like to see carefully performed research to prove that. At the moment, I am remaining agnostic on the specific issue. If they have already taken up some radioactive iodine, it is conceivable that extra iodine would mean the radioactive iodine does not get turned over as quickly as it would without further iodine intake.
The radioactive iodine has a half life of 8 days and decays into Xenon. The beta particle at 660kev will do a lot of damage . . Because the half life is short it is very potent., and the thyroid a very important gland. Now there is always a dynamic equilibrium between atoms in solution , so if you swamp the person with non radio actIve iodine, it displaces within hours the concentration in the gland with the general concentration in the bloodstream

Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The radioactive iodine has a half life of 8 days and decays into Xenon. The beta particle at 660kev will do a lot of damage . . Because the half life is short it is very potent., and the thyroid a very important gland. Now there is always a dynamic equilibrium between atoms in solution , so if you swamp the person with non radio actIve iodine, it displaces within hours the concentration in the gland with the general concentration in the bloodstream
Do you make this stuff up Danidl or is it true.. Damned impressive either way. Bet you are brilliant at interviews.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The radioactive iodine
Stop! There's 131, 132 and continuing degradation of 132Te.

The iodine content of the thyroid is not due to a dynamic equilibrium from being in solution. It is actively transported into the thyroid. That depends on the need for iodine.

The iodine content of the thyroid (of an adult rather than working with the variation by age of children) is around 20 milligrams. And the typical daily iodine uptake is around 120 micrograms.

If the thyroid has taken in one day's worth of iodine that happens to be radioactive, then the effective washing out of that could even be slowed down by further iodine uptake! You really need to see detailed, atomic level iodine movements within the thyroid lumen to know.

You could imagine a thyroid that is, at the start, slightly low in iodine. Along comes some radioactive iodine, possibly more than is usually available, and it is avidly transported. But by the time the prophylactic iodine arrives the thyroid could be replete and uptake at a very low level.

As I said, I'd want to check detailed research before accepting either story of what happens.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Now there is always a dynamic equilibrium between atoms in solution , so if you swamp the person with non radio actIve iodine, it displaces within hours the concentration in the gland with the general concentration in the bloodstream
The iodine content of the thyroid is not due to a dynamic equilibrium from being in solution. It is actively transported into the thyroid. That depends on the need for iodine.
After the Chernobyl accident, The Poles gave iodine to children. The dose does not remove the iodine in the thyroid but stops the uptake of radio-active iodine present in the environment thus limits the damage.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
After the Chernobyl accident, The Poles gave iodine to children. The dose does not remove the iodine in the thyroid but stops the uptake of radio-active iodine present in the environment thus limits the damage.
Yes, quite right. But it really needs to be given before they are exposed. If you know the reactor is blowing, or the cloud is coming your way, take some.

Also, although many can take substantial doses of iodine without too much by way of side effects, it can make others very ill, and precipitate long-term thyroid disorder.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know what you are referring to.

I see ten stories - none appear to be vaccine-related:

View attachment 44594
I only see the Covid vaccine story. Try this link:

The link title's text gives the gist.

Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Stop! There's 131, 132 and continuing degradation of 132Te.

The iodine content of the thyroid (of an adult rather than working with the variation by age of children) is around 20 milligrams. And the typical daily iodine uptake is around 120 micrograms.

If the thyroid has taken in one day's worth of iodine that happens to be radioactive, then the effective washing out of that could even be slowed down by further iodine uptake! You really need to see detailed, atomic level iodine movements within the thyroid lumen to know.

You could imagine a thyroid that is, at the start, slightly low in iodine. Along comes some radioactive iodine, possibly more than is usually available, and it is avidly transported. But by the time the prophylactic iodine arrives the thyroid could be replete and uptake at a very low level.

As I said, I'd want to check detailed research before accepting either story of what happens.
But Oyster, half that radio iodine is totally gone and is a completely different atom within the week. So it is depleted at the rate of about 15.0% per day, without any reference to dynamics. The Xenon is an inert gas and just evaporates . At the molecular level its all about dynamic exchanges ..driven by Ficks Law of Diffusion and then the bonding energy of the Iodine in to its biochemical molecule..and since is all aqueous chemistry , the bonds are weak. So any atom of Iodine can be replaced by another . Its not as if the thyroid was encased in glass. So saturating the bloodstream with safer iodine will reduce the uptake and the concentration of the RA Iodine. While RA anywhere in the body is bad, keeping it away from away from the most sensitive glands and organs is important.

We had a similar event here in Noth Louth and South Down .. the famous Mountains of Morne sweeping down to the sea. When Chernobyl blew, it carried the plume over the UK and deposited a heavy load in showery weather over these upland areas. The Caesium 137 was metabolised by the sheep in competition with Calcium , and then excreted. Because the soils were calcium deficient. the cycle repeated year on year. Had the lands been dosed with lime, the sheep could have been harvested years earlier

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, quite right. But it really needs to be given before they are exposed. If you know the reactor is blowing, or the cloud is coming your way, take some.

Also, although many can take substantial doses of iodine without too much by way of side effects, it can make others very ill, and precipitate long-term thyroid disorder.
Three years after the Fukushima Daiichi plant meltdowns, Japan introduce pre-distribution of iodine tablets to everyone living within 5 kilometres of a nuclear power station. But this was with local physician oversight to ensure those possibly vulnerable to the iodine didn't get them.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
But Oyster, half that radio iodine is totally gone and is a completely different atom within the week. So it is depleted at the rate of about 15.0% per day, without any reference to dynamics. The Xenon is an inert gas and just evaporates . At the molecular level its all about dynamic exchanges ..driven by Ficks Law of Diffusion and then the bonding energy of the Iodine in to its biochemical molecule..and since is all aqueous chemistry , the bonds are weak. So any atom of Iodine can be replaced by another . Its not as if the thyroid was encased in glass. So saturating the bloodstream with safer iodine will reduce the uptake and the concentration of the RA Iodine. While RA anywhere in the body is bad, keeping it away from away from the most sensitive glands and organs is important.

We had a similar event here in Noth Louth and South Down .. the famous Mountains of Morne sweeping down to the sea. When Chernobyl blew, it carried the plume over the UK and deposited a heavy load in showery weather over these upland areas. The Caesium 137 was metabolised by the sheep in competition with Calcium , and then excreted. Because the soils were calcium deficient. the cycle repeated year on year. Had the lands been dosed with lime, the sheep could have been harvested years earlier
Impressed again. All I know about is sailing and engines... And that tends to be more opinion than fact... But hey... Still sailing in silly conditions and enjoying it...
And I have a degree in physics... Forgot most stuff tho... Not much use when I, m sailing.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Advertisers