Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
95% of our current Hydrogen Production produces Co2 and not in inconsequential amounts. So your premise that since Bozo used liquid hydrogen he didn't contribute to C02 is BS. And, you know better than I do.
As for looking for experiments to conquer new worlds and boldly go like Captain Kirk, the first priority should be not destroying this one. Bozo (the Amazon one) is just paying lip service to environmental issues. He is simply competing with the third Bozo of Tubular Bells fame. And flying about pretending to care in his private jet.
I do know that 95% hydrogen are currently made from fossil fuel, nevertheless, his project of Blue Origin has good prospects and using liquid hydrogen as propellant for his rocket is the way to go for now.
More and more CCS systems are added to hydrogen production ('blue hydrogen') to limit CO2 release into the atmosphere.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I do know that 95% hydrogen are currently made from fossil fuel, nevertheless, his project of Blue Origin has good prospects and using liquid hydrogen as propellant for his rocket is the way to go for now.
More and more CCS systems are added to hydrogen production ('blue hydrogen') to limit CO2 release into the atmosphere.
I said you know, obviously you know. Good prospects for what exactly? Sending some more old actors into space isn't exactly colonising space is it. Like, I said to flecc, we simply can't carry on like this. You justify his silly (mis) adventure. Somebody else justifies a coal mine (as Australia, UK and Poland seem prone to), somebody else justifies something else... Before you know it... We are fecked. (well to be precise next generation are).
There is no way on earth we can legitametly justify on either environmental reasons, wealth distribution, and a whole host issues why this research should be done.
World is facing climatic disaster, with millions likely to face more severe water shortages, flooding, poverty etc etc and here we are justifying spending billions burning tons and tons of hydrogen because some rich idiot can afford it... Whilst folk are starving... Unbelievable. The Bozos of this world should be sorting its problems out, not adding to them. Cant understand how anyone can justify such a waste of money, time, resources and damage. He, s on an ego trip with Branson.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we can only save this planet with technology.
Better solar panels, more wind turbines, more electric transports etc.
Ask yourself why a train ticket from London to Glasgow cost 4 times a plane ticket. It's not because of the cost of fuel.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
we can only save this planet with technology.
Better solar panels, more wind turbines, more electric transports etc.
Ask yourself why a train ticket from London to Glasgow cost 4 times a plane ticket.
What on earth as that got to do with lighting a fecking great firework.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he spends his money developing rocket engines, re-useable booster rockets, vertical take off and landing. They are part of global research effort.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
This is exactly why we are in such a mess.
Folk simply pretend to care about environment. Porsche, Tesla, F1, the lot of them, haven't developed ecars, energy recover systems, hybrids and fantastic battery systems to save the planet. They have done it on back of that but so they can supply all the rich idiots pretending to be environmentally aware with fast, stupid expensive toys that folk think are good for environment. No, what would have been good for environment was legislation excluding stupidly fast cars, motor bikes and the likes... Forcing rich and famous not into Tesla but into light, efficient small cars. Bezos, Musk, Branson want their fast cars, yachts, space ships so they convince some its for planet. BS. Its not. Porsche, Ferrari, Tesla want to sell stuff... Trouble is its destroying planet. Wonder how environmentally friendly Bozo's plane, yacht, space ship and car actually are. And, you, ve bought it Woosh.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
he spends his money developing rocket engines, re-useable booster rockets, vertical take off and landing. They are part of global research effort.
Going where... Like there isn't better, cleaner, more valuable things to be doing. Give up Woosh. It's all a waste of money. Tell the kids starving in Africa we can't feed you Bozo wants his space ride.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This is exactly why we are in such a mess.
Folk simply pretend to care about environment. Porsche, Tesla, F1, the lot of them, haven't developed ecars, energy recover systems, hybrids and fantastic battery systems to save the planet. They have done it on back of that but so they can supply all the rich idiots pretending to be environmentally aware with fast, stupid expensive toys that folk think are good for environment. No, what would have been good for environment was legislation excluding stupidly fast cars, motor bikes and the likes... Forcing rich and famous not into Tesla but into light, efficient small cars. Bezos, Musk, Branson want their fast cars, yachts, space ships so they convince some its for planet. BS. Its not. Porsche, Ferrari, Tesla want to sell stuff... Trouble is its destroying planet. Wonder how environmentally friendly Bozo's plane, yacht, space ship and car actually are. And, you, ve bought it Woosh.
these things are separate issues.
If you have billions in your wallet, what would you do with them in your limited time left on this planet?
If governments re-distribute wealth through taxation, there will be a lot fewer extremely wealthy individuals and their excesses.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Woosh, we all know current space technology is going nowhere. Our nearest star is 4 and half light years away. At moment burning stuff to produce thrust in an attempt to travel at anything like a decent proportion of speed if light is simply not going to happen. It's like attempting to build concorde with steam engine technology. So, all the fools are doing is burning stuff, going nowhere. So why bother. Especially so when burning the stuff is not helping environment and is money that should be going elsewhere. Yes, he's a private individual but his money is from us and the convuluted system. His environmental claims are utter BS. He is damaging planet. He should be helping not hindering.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
these things are separate issues.
If you have billions in your wallet, what would you do with them in your limited time left on this planet?
If governments re-distribute wealth through taxation, there will be a lot fewer extremely wealthy individuals and their excesses.
I wouldn't help feck the planet up. I, d try and help mankind's greatest challenge. Trying to maintain planet we live on to be fit for our existence. We won't mess planet up, just make it unfit for us. I see Bezos, Musk, Branson and plenty of others being part of problem. Not its cure.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Such things are easily said but can't be done, thanks to the traps we've built for ourselves.

To illustrate:

As a kid at the start of the 1940s, for my mother I'd nip over the road to Mr Grice at the corner shop. No chance of getting run over, traffic didn't exist, just a very rare motor vehicle so they weren't an atmospheric pollution issue either.

I'd ask for cheese, which meant cheddar, the only one, which Mr Grice had in a huge block, and he'd cut off what I indicated with a cutting wire and hand it to me in a piece of greaseproof paper. Bacon sliced on the spot and handed over in a scrap of greaseproof paper got the same treatment. Ditto luncheon meat or corned beef. If I wanted biscuits there were two or three types in one foot cube tins full of loose biscuits, so I'd take a brown paper bag, rummage for how many I wanted to pop into the bag. Potato Crisps were only one type, plain potato with a blue paper wrap of salt in each packet to add if one wished, and those packets also came in the one foot cubed tins. If a shopping bag was needed we took our own fabric shopping bag.

The vans that delivered the tins of biscuits and crisps would pick up the empty tins and throw them onto the van roof which had a retaining rail around the top, so they'd go back for refilling. The brown paper bags we'd carefully fold and reuse for various purposes, often several times over. Everything else was minimal so recycling was scarcely necessary.

Now try to translate all of that into supermarkets, often many miles away and even out of town. All that exposed cheese and meat handed over loose, everyone picking loose biscuits etc out of large tins with their bare hands, nothing back then needing plastic, which other than bakelite hadn't even been invented.
We've made a massive rod for our own backs and to get back to where we were is probably nearly impossible with the 40% growth in the population since then.

We'd need to rebuild or reverse engineer almost everything we have, including our lives.
I recall when mother got the sugar ration it was usually in a strong blue paper bag. She would carefully open the bag when empty and iron it smooth.
Why?
For me to paint on it on wet days, great fun.
At school in the primary levels we began with slates, and after a couple of years we didn't have exercise books, but were issued with a single sheet of paper per lesson, "use both sides" and if the essay was too long, you needed to ask permission for a second sheet.
On pupil was designated "Ink Monitor" on a monthly basis.
The job consisted of mixing powdered ink in a jug that was decanted into a bottle with a twin barreled spout, the upper one being an air vent.
At the start of the day the monitor filled the inkwell on each desk from the bottle and at the end of the day went round and collected the ink. It was then put back into storage with a funnel. Once a week the inkwells all had to be washed out in the sink.

Not much went to waste!

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I have a cunning plan.
If I suddenly became immensely rich and wanted to bring about climate change,
I would encourage politicians by opening a sort of ERG or CRG on steroids
The name of it?
BUSAB INTERNATIONAL (With local "motivators" in every country)
Motto "Just don't cause a probem, or we will eliminate the problem and the source"

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I recall when mother got the sugar ration it was usually in a strong blue paper bag. She would carefully open the bag when empty and iron it smooth.
Why?
For me to paint on it on wet days, great fun.
At school in the primary levels we began with slates, and after a couple of years we didn't have exercise books, but were issued with a single sheet of paper per lesson, "use both sides" and if the essay was too long, you needed to ask permission for a second sheet.
On pupil was designated "Ink Monitor" on a monthly basis.
The job consisted of mixing powdered ink in a jug that was decanted into a bottle with a twin barreled spout, the upper one being an air vent.
At the start of the day the monitor filled the inkwell on each desk from the bottle and at the end of the day went round and collected the ink. It was then put back into storage with a funnel. Once a week the inkwells all had to be washed out in the sink.

Not much went to waste!
Every thing is waste nowadays. McDonald's advertise as an environmentally aware retailer and folk buy into the BS... Go and have a burger there and you get more packaging than food, and normally a stupid plastic toy.
When I was a lad we took pop bottles back and bought unwrapped sweets in a brown bag with proceeds.
Look in a bathroom cabinet, under a kitchen sink or in the fridge. Full of plastic... Even coffee now has to sold in individual cup containers and put in a machine... And manufacturers say "recycled aluminium".. Oh, that's fine then. Buy one. And, what is frightening these things have got worse in last 10 years. Not better. We can justify everything, all the waste, the land fill sites, the plastic in oceans, the Co2 in the air. Nobody will change.
Went to see Jimeoin last week. He hit nail on the head. He ranted about China and their faults for a few minutes... Then said"but I do like a bargain, look at this shirt, it was a fiver".
We are all the same. Woosh wants his big fireworks, I want to play in ski boat. (but I have curtailed it lots, and think it's days are numbered, we all have to change)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh, we all know current space technology is going nowhere. Our nearest star is 4 and half light years away. At moment burning stuff to produce thrust in an attempt to travel at anything like a decent proportion of speed if light is simply not going to happen. It's like attempting to build concorde with steam engine technology. So, all the fools are doing is burning stuff, going nowhere. So why bother. Especially so when burning the stuff is not helping environment and is money that should be going elsewhere. Yes, he's a private individual but his money is from us and the convuluted system. His environmental claims are utter BS. He is damaging planet. He should be helping not hindering.
that's rather short sighted. If you compare the early space Soviet flights with the last Blue Origin flight, you can see the enormous progress that has been made.
We won't of course go to another home planet with Bezos rocket anytime soon but it's the kind of technology that will eventually lead to routine hypersonic flights.
Bezos wants to take a walk on the moon. Let him do it.
In your area of expertise, just look at the number of leisure yachts parked in thousands of ports around European shores. Look at how much fuel they burn.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Good... But again so what. Bozo didn't care whether his hydrogen was green...
I agree. It was just an added point of marginal interest.

Bezos must be somewhat on the dumb side. Either to NOT realise how finite and fragile the Earth is. Or to expect us to believe in his transformation.

Amazon's founder has told delegates at Cop26 that his trip to space made him realise how ‘finite and fragile’ the Earth is. Jeff Bezos said: 'I was told that seeing the Earth from space changes the lens from which you view the world. But I was not prepared for just how much that would be true.'

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Every thing is waste nowadays. McDonald's advertise as an environmentally aware retailer and folk buy into the BS... Go and have a burger there and you get more packaging than food, and normally a stupid plastic toy.
Not just that. Living near, too darned near, a drive through MacD, I am continually amazed by the number of vehicles queuing.

These are people who have decided, wherever they are, they want a burger. They get into their vehicles, the majority, I suggest being towards the SUV end of the scale, drive miles, block the road queuing to get into the MacD car park, sit in a queue - engines all running continuously, as they very slowly snake round and collect their burgers. Then expect to drive right out into the road as if they have priority over those actually in lane on the road. Not caring if they again block traffic. Or go a few yards and park on yellow lines, in a yellow box junction, across a depot entrance marked KEEP CLEAR, not caring their impact on other traffic. Engines still running to keep them cool in summer, warm in winter. And sit in their vehicles scoffing the burgers. Opening doors onto people walking or cycling by (it is an official dual use path). Chucking their rubbish all over the place.

Whereas I might once have very reluctantly had something from a MacD at a motorway services, what I have seen means I will do everything I can to avoid them.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
that's rather short sighted. If you compare the early space Soviet flights with the last Blue Origin flight, you can see the enormous progress that has been made.
We won't of course go to another home planet with Bezos rocket anytime soon but it's the kind of technology that will eventually lead to routine hypersonic flights.
Bezos wants to take a walk on the moon. Let him do it.
In your area of expertise, just look at the number of leisure yachts parked in thousands of ports around European shores. Look at how much fuel they burn.
Sail Yachts burn very little fuel. Hulls extremely efficient and tiny axillary motors and should only be used in and out harbours etc.. but yes agreed.. We all need to change.
As for hypersonic... For actual space travel it hardly affects it. Twice as fast as now is still insignificant. When humanity invents a way of escaping gravity and doing so in a vehicle capable of at least 0.2C...then space exploration might be worth having another look. As it is. Forget it. Its like exploring Africa on foot,with a bad leg. Actually its far worse. We don't need to send numpties like Captain Kirk to explore... We have telescopes.
And since its pretty much accepted we can't get to anything like 0.2C.(human beings could not stand required acceleration to get to 0.2c in time available) and that even if we could... Thars still 25 years to nearest star... (probably nearer 50 accounting for time required for acceleration phase with a human aboard) but I haven't done calcs. There is no point. We ain't going anywhere. Just entertaining Bozo's limping 20 yards or so into Africa.
Bezos wants to go to moon. Sums it up. He, s a pillock. How much damage to Earth does that little desire cost? Utterly pointless.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Not just that. Living near, too darned near, a drive through MacD, I am continually amazed by the number of vehicles queuing.

These are people who have decided, wherever they are, they want a burger. They get into their vehicles, the majority, I suggest being towards the SUV end of the scale, drive miles, block the road queuing to get into the MacD car park, sit in a queue - engines all running continuously, as they very slowly snake round and collect their burgers. Then expect to drive right out into the road as if they have priority over those actually in lane on the road. Not caring if they again block traffic. Or go a few yards and park on yellow lines, in a yellow box junction, across a depot entrance marked KEEP CLEAR, not caring their impact on other traffic. Engines still running to keep them cool in summer, warm in winter. And sit in their vehicles scoffing the burgers. Opening doors onto people walking or cycling by (it is an official dual use path). Chucking their rubbish all over the place.

Whereas I might once have very reluctantly had something from a MacD at a motorway services, what I have seen means I will do everything I can to avoid them.
Don't worry, they, ll be going in electric cars soon. But you are right. Folk just pretend to care.
I, m a school governor at our local Primary..
Every morning parents rolling up in cars, driving their loved ones at most 2 miles. (some as little as a hundred yards) blocking entrance to school and nearby houses.. And many leave engines running whilst they walk kids into school. Crossing lady asked one chap to turn engine off..
"why should I, its not hurting*.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Don't worry, they, ll be going in electric cars soon. But you are right. Folk just pretend to care.
I, m a school governor at our local Primary..
Every morning parents rolling up in cars, driving their loved ones at most 2 miles. (some as little as a hundred yards) blocking entrance to school and nearby houses.. And many leave engines running whilst they walk kids into school. Crossing lady asked one chap to turn engine off..
"why should I, its not hurting*.
One of the things I like about the hybrid I drive is that switching the ignition off isn't usually an issue. Stop and, mostly, the engine won't run. (Just occasionally, it feels like charging up a bit before stopping or, even more rarely, starts up for a few minutes while stopped.)

Whereas the other car I regularly drive has stop-start. Which, up to a point, can work similarly. But it can be pretty unsatisfactory in stop-start traffic - hence I switch it off all too often.

Advertisers