Highway code changes

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Apparently the new "bike friendly" changes to the Highway code come in today, but I can't see anything about it on the BBC website. I'm surprised there hasn't been an article about it on here.

Does anyone have a good link to the changes?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Apparently the new "bike friendly" changes to the Highway code come in today, but I can't see anything about it on the BBC website. I'm surprised there hasn't been an article about it on here.

Does anyone have a good link to the changes?

...and lower down that page several links.

Reactions: WheezyRider

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
does anyone think it'll make any difference. :rolleyes:
Probably not. I knew late last year that this was to be effective from 29th January 2022 and was waiting to see if anyone else had noticed.

Of course the hierarchy rules are against us as well as for us, since we are now require to be far more caring towards pedestrians. For example the "give way" rule on stopping for a pedestrian already on a road they are crossing used to be only for the major road when exiting a minor one driving any vehicle, including bikes. Now it's for any road, but I bet no-one takes any notice of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: WheezyRider

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
If you Google 'highway code changes 2022' you will find loads of information. I agree that it's not been publicized sufficiently.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There has been no forward planning and publicity on the changes and flecc is correct the new rules apply from the 29th and not today. One of the motoring groups questioned motorists back before xmas regarding the changes and some 70% had no idea what so ever.
The public at large will be ignorant and probably remain so, peds, cyclists, equines & motorcycles should all be better off, however the I doubt much will change as too many users drive too often with out due care and attention and way too much speed especially interacting with junctions.

I foresee possibly more injuries to the at risk groups but hope I'm proved wrong, in such incidents from Friday the blame can be laid at those responsible in the hierarchy approach to make them more accountable.

But the main thing form Friday onwards is the vulnerable road user in law has more rights of way on the roads.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Thanks for the info. I was looking on the official site, but the changes don't seem to be on there yet:

Reactions: LivedInLondon

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Daily Fail is anti cyclist anyway and always biased against cycling and this from a paper that were pro Nazi 70 years ago.

Cyclists can and should ride out of the gutter, no reason not to ride a metre out.
Take the prime position/middle of the lane if clear and approaching well before a junction or roundabout , not doing so encourages cars to close pass, under take or left hook at a junction turn. One has to command the road at certain places, use clear hand signals and don't be bullied by motons/mortons. Make use of front/rear cameras and report/download bad driving.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like all rules they don't fit all circumstances and create unfairness. For example, take the priority list:
  • Pedestrians
  • Cyclists
  • Horse riders
  • Motorcyclists
  • Cars/taxis
  • Vans/minibuses
  • Large passenger vehicles/heavy goods vehicles
Buses are at the end, but I place them ahead of cars and will continue to. In cars we are mainly serving ourselves, but the bus driver is serving the whole community so should come first to enable them to keep to schedules. We all see car drivers when a bus is about to pull out from a stop put their foot down to all race past and get ahead. I do the opposite when car driving, giving the bus driver a double flash to pull out immediately.

And traditionally good driving meant giving way to heavy truck drivers coming uphill where they are disadvantaged by their poor power to weight ratio and can't recover speed once lost. This new blanket rule putting them last makes no allowance for that courtesy.

In my estate there's unfairness for cyclists too in these priorities. It's built on a deep valley with a spine road running the length of the valley floor and all of the housing is on spur roads running off on both sides. That means all the side roads are steep uphills, my one 14%. With many of them and pedestrians crossing all the time, cyclists having to stop for a pedestrian wanting to cross are then faced with a standing start up a very steep hill. A bit silly when both of them could carry on sensibly, passing each other safely.

So all in all I think it's best as guidance rather than law, allowing for common sense while still allowing the courts to use the Code's guidance in judgement and sentencing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep agree flecc. Locally I defer to buses as they are public transport. It is common sense but that which is lacking amongst a lot of the drivers on todays roads.
We see it at all junctions to many approaching with far to much speed and little time to react when they realise they haven't allowed enough time to see what is coming or judge speed/distance even that of a cyclist.
We need two policing forces, a national one for crime and a local one to solely deal with public order and roads.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We need two policing forces, a national one for crime and a local one to solely deal with public order and roads.
I fully agree, it's common practice in many other countries to have local and national forces.

The French have the local Agents du Police and the Gendarmerie.

The Italians the local police and the Carabinieri.

The USA the local State Police and the FBI and National Guard.

There's no substitute for very local knowledge in policing, but we've been getting that wrong. Doing such things as merging forces making them bigger and more out of touch. The more we've done that the more the police stop doing. Long ago they stopped dealing with parking, and rarely even bother with traffic direction when it's necessary.

In London traffic cars and traffic police are almost non existent, though fortunately congestion does the job quite well by itself. Can't have much of a car chase when everywhere is between slow and standstill. I remember reading with amusement that in central London almost all of the tickets for drivers not wearing seatbelts or using a mobile phone while driving are issued by cycling police who have no trouble catching up with the guilty drivers !

Reactions: trevor brooker

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The Daily Fail is anti cyclist anyway and always biased against cycling and this from a paper that were pro Nazi 70 years ago.

Cyclists can and should ride out of the gutter, no reason not to ride a metre out.
Take the prime position/middle of the lane if clear and approaching well before a junction or roundabout , not doing so encourages cars to close pass, under take or left hook at a junction turn. One has to command the road at certain places, use clear hand signals and don't be bullied by motons/mortons. Make use of front/rear cameras and report/download bad driving.
I take 'command the road' one step further when riding on Scotland's many 'single track with passing places' roads: I manage the traffic past me in both directions by stopping when I have oncoming traffic, and waving them through, and similarly clearing traffic from behind. Minimises delays for others, and keeps them happy with little delay to me.

Signalling that I am going to stop has defused a fair number of impatient tailgating incidents.

I have a fond hope that this also makes drivers more friendly next time they meet a cyclist. Professional commercial drivers certainly signal their appreciation.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I was watching a news report on BBC the other day, I think it was about the new rules. The reporter had his back to a road junction and a bus driver pulled up at the traffic lights and stopped inside the area marked for cyclists.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Probably not. I knew late last year that this was to be effective from 29th January 2022 and was waiting to see if anyone else had noticed.

Of course the hierarchy rules are against us as well as for us, since we are now require to be far more caring towards pedestrians. For example the "give way" rule on stopping for a pedestrian already on a road they are crossing used to be only for the major road when exiting a minor one driving any vehicle, including bikes. Now it's for any road, but I bet no-one takes any notice of that.
BBC report just said that if a pedestrian is just stood at a junction traffic has to give way so they can cross.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
BBC report just said that if a pedestrian is just stood at a junction traffic has to give way so they can cross.
Yes, that is the new advice, but as ever our law is confusing. Under existing law if a driver is exiting a side road into a major road when a pedestrian has already started to cross the major road, the driver must give way by law. Of course few drivers have ever done so.

And I can see a problem here in some parts of London and possibly elsewhere, where prostitutes ply their trade standing on the edge of the pavement at corners but with no intention of crossing. I can see them thinking they have a client when a driver following the rules stops for them to cross. Could be embarrassing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No accounting for the thicko's SW, if one takes that at face value.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so i can ride in the middle of the road yet cant use the motorway :rolleyes:

ill stick to the pavement i have the right way esp going 30mph :p