Can i run KT36/48-ZWSR without display

Golden2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 26, 2023
I have KT36/48-ZWSR , I don’t have a lcd for it how i can turn it on (ignition wire), and wiring the throttle

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can run it like that, but it's a waste of the best features it has. If you're not going to use the LCD functions, you'd be better off with a £15 Ebay controller.

Golden2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 26, 2023
I will use it for scooter , if you can please tell me how i can wiring throttle ?

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
I thought KT controllers defaulted to TS aka current control, throttle would cover 0 to WOT and a scooter won't need PAS levels. Aside from the speed limit what best LCD features will he miss out on?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I thought KT controllers defaulted to TS aka current control, throttle would cover 0 to WOT and a scooter won't need PAS levels. Aside from the speed limit what best LCD features will he miss out on?
The torque simulation is a feature of the pedal assist, not the throttle. Without an LCD, pedal assist only works on level 1. If you want only throttle control, a £15 Ebay controller does it just as well.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Not sure I understand, you're saying without an LCD the PAS level defaults to 1, giving max battery current = 13% of controller 'max' rating, and a wheel off the ground spins up to full speed when the pedals are turned, yes? What happens if you repeat that adding 50% throttle, do you get (up to) 100% current up to 50% of maximum speed and 13% current beyond that? That would be cool.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Not sure I understand, you're saying without an LCD the PAS level defaults to 1, giving max battery current = 13% of controller 'max' rating, and a wheel off the ground spins up to full speed when the pedals are turned, yes? What happens if you repeat that adding 50% throttle, do you get (up to) 100% current up to 50% of maximum speed and 13% current beyond that? That would be cool.
It depends on the software version, but, for most, when you select level 1 with a KT controller, you get level 1 power when you pedal, but if you continue to pedal and open the throttle, it jumps to level 5. If you don't pedal, the throttle acts as a speed controller.

I'm pretty sure that there are some software versions that work like other controllers, where the different levels give a different speed or power for each level, but as soon as you open the throttle, it takes precedence and works as a speed controller.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
If you don't pedal, the throttle acts as a speed controller.
I've always been puzzled about the throttle implementation when it comes to KT controllers. If the throttle also operated as a current (torque) throttle, it would give a huge boost in usability and also make them more marketable too.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One reason why I stopped using the throttle with my KT controllers because of the speed control they are either on or off at max power, if they were to use current control and that control was linked to PAS level selection then the power use would be much better.

• Agree
Reactions: danielrlee

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've always been puzzled about the throttle implementation when it comes to KT controllers. If the throttle also operated as a current (torque) throttle, it would give a huge boost in usability and also make them more marketable too.
Current control for throttles is probably a lot more difficult to program, and you don't really get any benefit on low powered systems. I think we can always dream of better control systems, but for a legal bike with adequate power, the KT controller works pretty well as it is. All I need is to be able to set the power approximately to the amount I want, then pedal along happily with the effort I want, and when there's a sudden need for more power (normally maximum), get it when I want, plus independent start assist for hills and when hampered by a shopping bag. The KT does all that legally. I just don't get why other controllers don't do that.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Current control for throttles is probably a lot more difficult to program, and you don't really get any benefit on low powered systems. I think we can always dream of better control systems, but for a legal bike with adequate power, the KT controller works pretty well as it is. All I need is to be able to set the power approximately to the amount I want, then pedal along happily with the effort I want, and when there's a sudden need for more power (normally maximum), get it when I want, plus independent start assist for hills and when hampered by a shopping bag. The KT does all that legally. I just don't get why other controllers don't do that.
KT controllers are definitely the best of all the 'budget' options available, but there's certainly room for improvement. The PID control required for torque throttle control is more complex than that needed for discreet fixed torque PAS levels. I've never tried the open source KT firmware, but I'm pretty sure it's been implemented there, so the processor should be capable enough.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Fine throttle control is like close gearing, you wouldn't call 30 speeds necessary but sometimes I miss them when I've 8. I often ride with the meter showing around 40W and it 'feels right'.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
With everything connected ready to work, for every part post a photo showing what it is, with the label if it has one. Post photos showing details of every connection, showing the wire colours on both sides of the connector if you can. Tell us about anything that can't be photographed (like measured voltages). Was each part new? If it was taken from another scooter or bike was everything on that system working at the time?

Then tell us what you did after taking photos (step by step: I turned on the battery switch, then... ), what you expected to happen and what you saw and heard instead when it failed to work. Don't be afraid to go into detail we just love this stuff :)

Reactions: Golden2000

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have you also shorted Blue & Red together as well ?