5 separate punctures on a 14 mile journey home

Northmale

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 29, 2023
First proper commute for work this morning and even though the forecast was wrong and I was soaked it was 52 joyous minutes to do 13 mile to work this morning.
However it was 2.5 hours on the way back due to 5 separate punctures (4 front, 1 back) Needless to say I have ordered a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Slime inner tubes to fit before I try again on Thursday.

Now to search for clothing and footwear that balances breathability with waterproofing.

Bloody love riding a bike again.

Reactions: robert44 and Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
First proper commute for work this morning and even though the forecast was wrong and I was soaked it was 52 joyous minutes to do 13 mile to work this morning.
However it was 2.5 hours on the way back due to 5 separate punctures (4 front, 1 back) Needless to say I have ordered a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Slime inner tubes to fit before I try again on Thursday.

Now to search for clothing and footwear that balances breathability with waterproofing.

Bloody love riding a bike again.
You don't need slime tubes with MPs. Slime causes more problems than it's worth, so my advice is never to use it with tubes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you dont use tubes on ebikes its depressing :p

DSC_0183_02.JPG

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not bad for a 13/14 mile commute. , tell us more about the bike set up and terrain.

My brother who posts on here sometimes does a 20 mile commute in about an hour or just over but does this on a speed pedelec.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
@Northmale Did you buy the Whyte Hybrid in the end?

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
40 minutes for me, e bike (UK legal) and I thought that was poor
Nice. My commute on country lanes is covered in flood water and ice this time of year which reduces my pace to walking speed sometimes for 100s of meters. It's not easy living out in the sticks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Speed and times are irrelevent , it all depends how hot and sweaty you want to get during a commute, slowly arrive fresher at work and fast on the way home matters not.
For leisure riding it matters not , the slower one rides though the more of the surroundings one takes in and sees.

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I ride at whatever speed I feel comfortable with, personally, and part of that is not making the people around me uncomfortable. 13mph would be about right on level terrain if I never stopped. An average of 13mph in stop-start traffic would mean some really fast sprints.

Steady 13mph on a shared path with pedestrians is a bit antisocial, IMO. You'll be coming up behind them too fast and scare some.

Reactions: Tony1951

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Randomness is clumpy, like clouds buses and bad luck, not evenly distributed, therefore you may find yourself in a large bunch of clumps, or you may have gone though a series of smaller clumps and not have any punctures for a time on those same tyres.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
So, you're riding an illegal bike or you're incredibly fit and you don't need the motor at all. Which one is it?
Thats his speed with his head on the pillow ;)

FIVE PUNCTURES ??? Are you riding without tyres on just the innertubes ?

Related Articles

Advertisers