Prices of the electricity we use to charge

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"Global Boiling" disappeared, along with EV range. Are Batteries terminally damaged by low temperatures? No warranty at 0% batt! :-(
:cool:
Another total twerp.

I'm just about to go out in my EV although it ia zero degrees outside at the moment. In my former ic cars that would be a miserable experience for a few miles, but with its instant heating to 22 dgrees C, it's pleasant in my EV as I drive smugly to my destination.

Nor does all that heat have to come from my battery, since the car like all EVs has two climate control timers, one of which I have preset to this usual going out time and day, preheating from the mains charger that the car is plugged into. And for when that isn't convenient, its heating can be switched on remotely from a smartphone.

That twerp like all the others of his ilk needs to learn the facts. EVs are not the exact equivalent of ic cars, they have a number of distinct advantages and a number of equally distinct disdvantages. No different from any of our technologies, we simply live according to those. Simple.

The largest take up of EVs in the world by far is in Norway which straddles the arctic circle and is going totally EV from next year. Strange how they've managed ok f or years with EVs but according to that twerp the Canadians cannot.

No way would I ever want to go back to the miseries of winter IC car ownership.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Croxden

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Another total twerp.

I'm just about to go out in my EV although it ia zero degrees outside at the moment. In my former ic cars that would be a miserable experience for a few miles, but with its instant heating to 22 dgrees C, it's pleasant in my EV as I drive smugly to my destination.

Nor does all that heat have to come from my battery, since the car like all EVs has two climate control timers, one of which I have preset to this usual going out time and day, preheating from the mains charger that the car is plugged into. And for when that isn't convenient, its heating can be switched on remotely from a smartphone.

That twerp like all the others of his ilk needs to learn the facts. EVs are not the exact equivalent of ic cars, they have a number of distinct advantages and a number of equally distinct disdvantages. No different from any of our technologies, we simply live according to those. Simple.

The largest take up of EVs in the world by far is in Norway which straddles the arctic circle and is going totally EV from next year. Strange how they've manage ok f or years with EVs but according to that twerp the Canadians cannot.

No way would I ever want to go back to the miseries of winter IC car ownership.
I think EVangilists must be betting on global warming, but they have no luck so far. This is Tim Pool telling it as it is:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Styxx's view on it - always grounded. I love the way he can take any news headline and make a 5 minute video about it straight off the top of his head while drinking his first coffee of the day 10 mins after waking up.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
In my former ic cars that would be a miserable experience for a few miles, but with its instant heating to 22 dgrees C, it's pleasant in my EV as I drive smugly to my destination.

Nor does all that heat have to come from my battery, since the car like all EVs has two climate control timers, one of which I have preset to this usual going out time and day, preheating from the mains charger that the car is plugged into.
That can easily be achieved with an extension lead, a small fan heater and as smart a smart plug as you can be bothered to use.

Totally non-proprietary, the fan heater (Pifco?) doesn't have to be provided by the same manufacturer as the car (DAF).

When we lived in Durham (which can get cold) many years ago our house fronted the pavement with no front garden or whatever. Convenient to drop an extension from the upstairs bay window (which jutted out over the pavement) to the car without obstructing the pavement.

Reactions: MikelBikel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think EVangilists must be betting on global warming, but they have no luck so far. This is Tim Pool telling it as it is:
Styxx's view on it - always grounded. I love the way he can take any news headline and make a 5 minute video about it straight off the top of his head while drinking his first coffee of the day 10 mins after waking up.
The same response to both posts. Firstly I've made my critical view of Tesla very clear before, they've been on the wrong lines from the beginning, a truth becoming more clear now, so Tesla should not be treated as a synonym for battery electric cars. Nor should the US market be treated as typical or appropriate for judgment on this EV issue.

As I made clear yet again to MikelBikel above, an EV is not an IC equivalent. BEVs are a different vehicle for different purposes and are more appropriate and useful than ICs in some markets, especially now that market conditions have to change anyway. They will never replace all IC car uses, nor should they, since many of those IC car uses are far too damaging so must end in the future. Those uses won't be replaced, future lives just will not have them or need them.

Why these critics cannot understand this simple subject I don't understand. I'm still astonished at your previously failing to understand the function of my home charger, ie: putting a charge into my BEV battery for use later and in another location, not as you expressed, no use to me when away. It's just a matter of choosing a BEV with sufficient range. If there isn't one, don't buy one. As I previously said, there is no urgency, the switch of cars to EV doesn't even commence for another 11 years and will then take over two decades further to complete.

Reactions: Croxden

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That can easily be achieved with an extension lead, a small fan heater and as smart a smart plug as you can be bothered to use.
Hardly the equivalent to having the facility built in and functionally coupled to other comfort items like the heated steering wheel and seats.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hardly the equivalent to having the facility built in and functionally coupled to other comfort items like the heated steering wheel and seats.
No. But any of those comfort items can also be built into any IC car as long as you accept the limitation of being in reach of external power. I agree an EV has enough battery to take advantage of the features even when not plugged in; but, as you said, for the commonest situation where you do need it the EV is plugged in anyway.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No. But any of those comfort items can also be built into any IC car as long as you accept the limitation of being in reach of external power. I agree an EV has enough battery to take advantage of the features even when not plugged in; but, as you said, for the commonest situation where you do need it the EV is plugged in anyway.
True, but I still remember once leaving a friends home very late, remote from the car park on a freezing winter night and the frost covered icy state of my IC car then. Not a pleasant prospect at well after midnight in such conditions. But it could never be a problem with my EV having everything, even the outside door mirrors and all screens optionally defrosting and heating.

No IC car can match a good heat pump EV for winter comfort.

Reactions: Croxden and Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The same response to both posts. Firstly I've made my critical view of Tesla very clear before, they've been on the wrong lines from the beginning, a truth becoming more clear now, so Tesla should not be treated as a synonym for battery electric cars. Nor should the US market be treated as typical or appropriate for judgment on this EV issue.

As I made clear yet again to MikelBikel above, an EV is not an IC equivalent. BEVs are a different vehicle for different purposes and are more appropriate and useful than ICs in some markets, especially now that market conditions have to change anyway. They will never replace all IC car uses, nor should they, since many of those IC car uses are far too damaging so must end in the future. Those uses won't be replaced, future lives just will not have them or need them.

Why these critics cannot understand this simple subject I don't understand. I'm still astonished at your previously failing to understand the function of my home charger, ie: putting a charge into my BEV battery for use later and in another location, not as you expressed, no use to me when away. It's just a matter of choosing a BEV with sufficient range. If there isn't one, don't buy one. As I previously said, there is no urgency, the switch of cars to EV doesn't even commence for another 11 years and will then take over two decades further to complete.
You need to watch the whole videos to get the gist of what they're saying. It was the same on other videos. it was clear from your comments that you hadn't actually looked at it because in one case, the guy was making the same points as you.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
diy race car :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You need to watch the whole videos to get the gist of what they're saying. It was the same on other videos. it was clear from your comments that you hadn't actually looked at it because in one case, the guy was making the same points as you.
Agreed, I haven't listened through. I'm so fed up with the endless posting of these videos by several members that I've long given up on listening to them interminably rambling on. In too many cases they take five or ten times as long than actually necessary to smugly make their often invalid point(s).

What do they and the posters of these videos really think they can teach me about EVs, when I've lived with one continuously for six years, closely followed the subject for well over thirty years, and with all my prior years in the motor trades?

The only thing I learn is how foolish and lacking in knowledge the critics so often are.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they guy that come to do my boiler was more interested in my now 10 year old bike and did not believe me how old it was lol and said was looking to get one himself.

asked if haibike was any good but as soon as i said the price of the batts and motors smart and non fixable buy most ppl bar peter said ur better off with a bafang mid drive kit for the forest of dean ect as cheap batts and parts.

haibike = no warranty after 2 years and a motor on its own costs more than a hole bafang kit inc batt.

well thats a start what about the motor controllers and bms and software to programme it bosch still being dickheads !:rolleyes:

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is a bit embarrassing for TFI:

Harrogate too:

And Bolton:

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
brake down cover does the same thing and will use a generator if you run out of juice, wonder what that costs lol.

why not :p

• :D

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Today been out cycling to town and back with my petite passenger. Battery down to 2 bars of 5 on return, instead of 3 as usual. And had to use 1 gear lower than usual for any inclines.
-2degC "feels like -5".
Reality bites, Ideality on the other hand... :)

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was too slow whipping out my cellphone to snap a pic of a hungry heron stamping about on the ice. You'll have to visualise the heron. It's time to wander about thowing out of date grain for the birds - I've got about 10kg, which was out of date before delivery from buywholefoods.co.uk... they're usually very good, but that was a bum order. It's too cold to cycle far distributing bird food, my feet will cramp.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is a bit embarrassing for TFI:

Harrogate too:

And Bolton:
Not the first times it's happened either. The network operators sometimes can't get sufficient capacity for chargers to be installed in time before the buses arrive, but the chargers get there eventually. It's no different from us still generating electricity from coal and imported woodchip to load the atmosphere with even more CO2, all part of our far from perfect world.

But of course the critics don't mention any of the good, like our using industrial waste product hydrogen to power our longer route London fuel cell buses. Like the UK's phenominal growth in wind generation, making us one of the world leaders in this field.

Last edited:
Reactions: Croxden and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006