Prices of the electricity we use to charge

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The guy wanted siddique Khan to do something about them fast but are they TfL buses though? If they are, then who bought them?
Two were double-decker London buses, and the last one was in Putney bus station. What do you reckon?

Presumably, the bus company ordered them, but on the orders of Sad-dick.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The guy implies that the bus company Go Ahead London has several hundreds. That's why I wonder if they are TfL or someone else ordering without doing much homework. They started using electric buses 10 years ago, so it may be time for a refurb.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The guy implies that the bus company Go Ahead London has several hundreds. That's why I wonder if they are TfL or someone else ordering without doing much homework. They started using electric buses 10 years ago, so it may be time for a refurb.
The bus companies tendering for TfL routes buy or lease the buses. The one recent time when TfL was involved in that was to cope with Boris Johnsons disastrous decision to have a new routemaster hybrid design, in opposition to all knowledgable advice. Johnson as mayor had signed up to 1000 of them, not the 100 the GLC had been lead to believe. To deal with these now unwanted buses, TfL had to complete the purchase and issue them on lease for nominal fees to bus companies who really didn't want them. They are being phased out early at 12 years old, with some committing suicide first by self- immolation.

So that much nothing to do with Sadiq Khan, all to do with Boris Johnson.

As for the decision to have zero emission buses, that too was nothing to do with Khan. It all started when the EU was about to hit the British government with £300 million in pollution fines in 2010. We were granted a stay of execution of three months pending the government starting to introduce serious reduction measures, which they did, but too slowly. Boris Johnson as London mayor was responsible for all the electric and hybrid introduction policies between 2008 and 2016.

On the 29 April 2015 the UK Supreme Court quashed the Government’s ineffective plans to cut illegal levels of air pollution in Britain and ordered it to deliver new ones by the end of the year.

The Supreme Court Justices were unanimous in their decision, handed down that morning, saying: “The new Government, whatever its political complexion, should be left in no doubt as to the need for immediate action to address this issue.”

They had prescribed such measures as congestion charges and ULEZ zones which since then the governments national and local have to comply with, which of course includes London's mayor, at the time Johnson. Less than a month later on 20/5/2015 Johnson was exposed to be deliberately dragging his heel on the introductions, leaving his successor Sadiq Khan to play catchup, which he has done according to law ever since with euro 6 and zero emission buses and now ULEZ across Greater London.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Croxden and Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The bus companies tendering for TfL routes buy or lease the buses. The one recent time when TfL was involved in that was to cope with Boris Johnsons disastrous decision to have a new routemaster hybrid design, in opposition to all knowledgable advice. Johnson as mayor had signed up to 1000 of them, not the 100 the GLC had been lead to believe. To deal with these now unwanted buses, TfL had to complete the purchase and issue them on lease for nominal fees to bus companies who really didn't want them. They are being phased out early at 12 years old, with some committing suicide first by self- immolation.

So that much nothing to do with Sadiq Khan, all to do with Boris Johnson.

As for the decision to have zero emission buses, that too was nothing to do with Khan. It all started when the EU was about to hit the British government with £300 million in pollution fines in 2010. We were granted a stay of execution of three months pending the government starting to introduce serious reduction measures, which they did, but too slowly. Boris Johnson as London mayor was responsible for all the electric and hybrid introduction policies between 2008 and 2016.

On the 29 April 2015 the UK Supreme Court quashed the Government’s ineffective plans to cut illegal levels of air pollution in Britain and ordered it to deliver new ones by the end of the year.

The Supreme Court Justices were unanimous in their decision, handed down that morning, saying: “The new Government, whatever its political complexion, should be left in no doubt as to the need for immediate action to address this issue.”

They had prescribed such measures as congestion charges and ULEZ zones which since then the governments national and local have to comply with, which of course includes London's mayor, at the time Johnson. Less than a month later on 20/5/2015 Johnson was exposed to be deliberately dragging his heel on the introductions, leaving his successor Sadiq Khan to play catchup, which he has done according to law ever since with euro 6 and zero emission buses and now ULEZ across Greater London.
Unfortunately, the companies making the tenders are given guidelines for success. I'm pretty sure that the guidelines mentioned that success might depend on the number of electric buses involved.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Fires are real risk for the early electric buses but I am pretty convinced that electric buses are for the foreseeable future. From what flecc has explained, there is not much Saddique Khan can do other than finding the money for new buses.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately, the companies making the tenders are given guidelines for success. I'm pretty sure that the guidelines mentioned that success might depend on the number of electric buses involved.
Of course, the law is very clear, but that isn't due to Sadiq Khan as I explained. The legal requirements need to be met, nine years now after the Supreme Court ruling, and of course having a labour mayor to carry the can suits a Tory government which did so little about this urgent issue when they had a Tory mayor in London for eight years.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Of course, the law is very clear, but that isn't due to Sadiq Khan as I explained. The legal requirements need to be met, nine years now after the Supreme Cpurt ruling, and of course having a labour mayor to carry the can suits a Tory government which did so little about this urgent issue when they had a Tory mayor in London for eight years.
I'm pretty sure that the Supreme Court doesn't make guidelines for how many electric buses we must have, neither do they tell us about whether climate change depends on carbon.

• Agree
Reactions: MikelBikel

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240126_175906[1].jpg
poxy 2 bed house needs a lump like that fan heater on crack :p

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm pretty sure that the Supreme Court doesn't make guidelines for how many electric buses we must have, neither do they tell us about whether climate change depends on carbon.
about the buses that caught fire, was it BJ who bought them 12 years ago?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
BJ as mayor both instigated the design of the new Routemaster and ordered them, but they are not the majority of traction battery buses implicated in fires.

Many have been fully electric Optare Metrodeckers, which are body built here on Chinese BYD fully drivable chassis. Others have been Enviro400EV and Enviro100EV built by Alexander Dennis in Northern Ireland, and Wrightbus models built on Volvo hybrid chassis. There's been an assortment of others on trial.

Clearly some learning needs to be done, since other countries are not suffering all these fires from their e-buses, despite using some of the same models.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Effectively that is what they do, since the range of possible answers to meet the legal demand to drastically and rapidly reduce polution are so limited.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
View attachment 56088
poxy 2 bed house needs a lump like that fan heater on crack :p
That looks quite a nice nesting box for birds, mice and spiders.
It doesn't matter who was in office. Whoever it was got their orders from above - probably the same place as TFI and every other city in the western world.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How come they're the same as the TFI ones then.
I don't understand what you are getting at? TfL are not an operational bus company. The bus companies buy or lease the buses as I explained, some of the new routemasters leased from TfL's ownership among them, but they have not been causing most of the fires, as I also posted.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I don't understand what you are getting at? TfL are not an operational bus company. The bus companies buy or lease the buses as I explained, some of the new routemasters leased from TfL's ownership among them, but they have not been causing most of the fires, as I also posted.
Three fires in two weeks. It won't be long before they're all burnt.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

it just all went to shite the sun will explode so something to look forward to ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Three fires in two weeks. It won't be long before they're all burnt.
Exaggeration, we have thousands of them, 56% of our entire bus fleet. There are 3,835 hybrid buses, 950 battery electric buses, and 20 hydrogen fuel cell buses operating in London, as of March 2023, out of a total bus fleet of 8,643.

In many cases other countries are not suffering the same, despite often using the same models. China has over 600,000 e-buses now, the city of Shenzhen alone having 16,000 e-buses and 22,000 e-taxis so already living in the future.

We still have some learning to do to get this right, but it will happen simply because it has to, regardless of the objectors like yourself. Here this is not about climate change. It''s about premature deaths, not just of the elderly but also now of the very young, who have also long been suffering retarded physical development and long term health problems compared to the wider UK population.

Out in Shropshire this issue is probably inconsequential for you, there you are never going to make any difference to climate change and don't have the same severe locally caused health problems we have. So I have a lot of sympathy with your views in your circumstances. It's just a pity that doesn't get reciprocated.

Reactions: Croxden and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It doesn't matter who was in office. Whoever it was got their orders from above - probably the same place as TFI and every other city in the western world.
I missed this earlier, it's simply conspiracy theory nonsense:

The country making the EV switch most rapidly is China, not in the Western world. They have not been told by anyone to do it, they are doing it entirely out of need in the face of clear physical evidence, very visible to all of us worldwide as far back as the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

The city doing the most rapid EV switch outside of China is London, in our individual case entirely due to very obvious physical evidence of long standing and worsening unacceptable health consequences.

The European city second to London with that pace of public transport EV switching is Moscow, with one foot very much outside of the Western world and with abundant cheap IC fuel. They are choosing to switch due to suffering a much faster rate of environmental warming, at their latitude having serious environmental consequences for Russia if that rate isn't quickly slowed to some extent.

Reactions: Croxden