Prices of the electricity we use to charge

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Charging a disabled old lady £45 "preauthorisation charge" on top of charging her for each leccy charge. Then saying driving outside her 15min zone is "Unusual"! :-(
Call Tom Jones. :)

Reactions: Ed57

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Interesting for transport, but even more for "renewables" energy storage. Much of which is wasted coz its produced when available, rather than on demand.Screenshot_20240105-123202_Chrome.jpg

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do many EVs use 18650 or 21700 cells? Can we expect abundant cheap lithium-ion cells suitable for ebike batteries flooding the market soon?

Reactions: MikelBikel

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's a test by the government to see if you would try to cheat on fuel tax. If you fail the test by attempting to order, they're going to go through your self-assessment and/or PAYE to see if you've been cheating on that too, which you probably have (in their minds).
They should go after everyone with an ebike for avoiding fuel tax. The entity which melts roads in the UK with it's bike lights is merely rented Intellectual Property, I live in the blissfully tax free Pleiades asterism federation.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: MikelBikel

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Battery passport's coming. I guess these will be the basis of your MOT test. If any parameters go out of spec, it's a fail and you'd need to replace the battery before you can use the car again. Presumably, you'd need a recent test before taking your car abroad.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Next generation tandem solar panel achieves 25% efficiency, delivering significant breakthrough to accelerate the energy transition.

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The cost of small PV generators per kw is still expensive and there is a fire risk to roofs. On the other hand, 10kwh and 20kwh home battery storage are becoming very affordable.

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
7x Nissan Leaf 8v cells would go nicely in a ebike/scoot? hehe. :)
Where does Flecc park his Nissan Leaf? Then all I'd need is a can opener... ;)

Not the ideal size and shape for my ebike (my bike care nothing about weight), but I'll keep a keen lookout for low priced high quality batteries intended for cars flooding the online souks.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Where does Flecc park his Nissan Leaf? Then all I'd need is a can opener... ;)

Not the ideal size and shape for my ebike (my bike care nothing about weight), but I'll keep a keen lookout for low priced high quality batteries intended for cars flooding the online souks.
Very securely. In a block of 50 garages, mine is the only one that has never been broken into through 56 years. I don't use proprietary security for home or garage, only my own unique systems which tend to baffle the crooks.

Nissan's prismatic c ells are excellent but need the right charging system to go with them.

Tesla's current model 3 and model Y models each have been using 7,800 18650 cells recently due to their mass production problems with 21700 and 4680 cells. But I don't believe in them, I think they are entirely the wrong approach for e-car use, as demonstrated by their fires.