Folding ebikes

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Hi All. Been off line for some time, but finally got back here.

I am now finding it difficult loading our 2 Raleigh Motus bikes into the back or our Mondeo estate when we go caravanning, so contemplating buying a couple of folders.

We saw the Wisper and Roodog at the nec show last week, but wondering if anyone has advice on what else is available these days that would give us good reliability and reasonable range. We expect to travel at least 20 miles each day and sometimes up to 40 miles. Most of this would be on roads but we do use the Thames path quite a lot and other similar paths.

It would be good to have the advice of you experts before making a decision. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Hi All. Been off line for some time, but finally got back here.

I am now finding it difficult loading our 2 Raleigh Motus bikes into the back or our Mondeo estate when we go caravanning, so contemplating buying a couple of folders.

We saw the Wisper and Roodog at the nec show last week, but wondering if anyone has advice on what else is available these days that would give us good reliability and reasonable range. We expect to travel at least 20 miles each day and sometimes up to 40 miles. Most of this would be on roads but we do use the Thames path quite a lot and other similar paths.

It would be good to have the advice of you experts before making a decision. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
If you are doing a decent distance and using paths I would choose a 20 inch wheel - Wisper 806 or Woosh rambletta

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Battery size matters - you probably don't need 750Wh, but the 575Wh or thereabouts is probably necessary for your 40 miles without range anxiety.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The 19.2Ah/691Wh battery on my cadence sensing mid-motored 20" wheeled converted folding bike gets me 43 miles max, on highest assistance setting, over mixed terrain. Your mileage may vary with a hub drive, with or without a torque sensor.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Battery size matters - you probably don't need 750Wh, but the 575Wh or thereabouts is probably necessary for your 40 miles without range anxiety.
Yes - Does @Woosh sell the rambletta with the 12 Ah battery option instead of the 10 Ah one ? On the Woosh website it doesn't give a price for a new Rambletta with the 12 Ah battery option edited - on the online shop bit it does show the Rambletta with the 12 Ah battery option

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you carry the two bikes on a rack, Thule have some very clever racks. Some will lower the loading platform to inches from the ground, making loading a breeze. There is also a motorised version that does all the lifting for you.

Last edited:

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
if you carry the two bikes on a rack, Thule have some very clever racks. Some will lower the loading platform to inches from the ground, making loading a breeze. There is also a motorised version that does all the lifting for you.
It is not advisable to carry bikes on a rack on the back of a caravan as it would prove detrimental to stability. Fine on a motorhome, of course. Also can not have a towbar mounted rack as that would reduce the nose weight of the caravan too much.
Bikes have to go inside the mondeo. This has been fine until now, but getting a bit beyond me now. My thinking is, a couple of folders in bags, we could lift them between us, then just a case of sliding them forward.

Woosh, just been taking a look at the Rambletta. Looks interesting, but as with any purchase, i would prefer to try one first. Is there any where I can do this? Could always make a trip to Southend if necessary.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you want to come to Southend, please have a word with Andy@wooshbikes.co.uk before hand. He can be reached by livechat on the website, by phone or email. If you like the bike, you can take them away with you (we can get them ready in about an hour). I apologise for the late reply.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
My favourite Rambletta story

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
If you want to come to Southend, please have a word with Andy@wooshbikes.co.uk before hand. He can be reached by livechat on the website, by phone or email. If you like the bike, you can take them away with you (we can get them ready in about an hour). I apologise for the late reply.
Will certainly do that, but I will wait for the weather to improve, I am a fine weather cyclist!

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this posting, your help is much appreciated.

Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We expect to travel at least 20 miles each day and sometimes up to 40 miles.
Would the OP need to be very fit for the Rambletta to provide 40 miles of range with just a 12Ah battery? I suggest a 40 mile long test ride.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Would the OP need to be very fit for the Rambletta to provide 40 miles of range with just a 12Ah battery? I suggest a 40 mile long test ride.
Yes, the Rambletta is a great bike for certain types of riders, like those that don't want to pedal too hard. It suits unfit riders that want transport for shopping, local visits and things like that. I think 40 miles would be stretching it. You could do it, but it's not going to be a comfortable ride. The bike is quite heavy and it's speed controll type controller makes it a bit more like a moped than a touring bicycle. I did around 25 miles on one, and there wasn't much left in the battery when I got home, even with a top-up charge at the half-way point. It's quite big too. You should be able to get a pair of them in an estate car, but you wouldn't want to try to get them into bags.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, the Rambletta is a great bike for certain types of riders, like those that don't want to pedal too hard. It suits unfit riders that want transport for shopping, local visits and things like that. I think 40 miles would be stretching it. You could do it, but it's not going to be a comfortable ride.
Bit of a limitation, that in-frame battery, limits volume. Ebike battery energy density doubling can't happen too soon.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
All interesting info, many thanks. This is the sort of thing I need to know.

Just to clarify, the 40 miles is a maximum we may, on occasion, achieve. These days I find Anno Domini and state of health, does limit me somewhat.

Certainly, the Rambletta is a bike I must check, as is the Wisper, but I am not too keen on the rack mounted battery.
Another bike my searches have found , is the Volt LS. Again, when we can start the caravan season, we will go to our favourite site near Walton on Thames and arrange to visit their showroom near Waterloo.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge