Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The guy who posted the yt video was one of those who upgraded their FSD software a coupleof days ago. His is the release version, not beta.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The guy who posted the yt video was one of those who upgraded their FSD software a coupleof days ago. His is the release version, not beta.
They should all be considered pre-release/buggy until they actually work safely with other road and pavement users, this business of using the rest of us as guinea pigs is insane.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The largest natural hydrogen mine is in Lorraine, France. Estimated reserve is up to 46 million tonnes of hydrogen . Another area where there may be hydrogen deposit is near Pau, Pyrenees atlantic.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The open road part of the test seemed to show that the test vehicle was relying on the speed behaviour of other vehicles to set it's own speed. So is this saying that the auto system is actually taking it's cues from human controlled cars? What happens if they were all auto driving? Could we see lines of cars all speeding up/slowing down on the motorway?
I am thinking that, like 'smart' motorways, this will prove to be a development that's going to throw up all sorts of nasties. The human driver is fallable, the problems arise when an individual no longer realises that fact. What level of fallability believe is built into the auto system?

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So is this saying that the auto system is actually taking it's cues from human controlled cars?
It clearly is, and in two other ways, as well as speed variation. The rather excessive distances from the car in front is controlling it's spacing. It also appears to be adjusting its side space from other cars alongside, rather like a fish in a shoal. This is seen in two ways, the wandering complained of when it finds itself alone in a multi lane road with no other nearby vehicles alongside to judge from, so is lost. And the similar lane choice indecision when veering into a changed number of lanes.

Although good at navigating to a distant destination, this is a very long way from secure autonomous self driving and if anything a backward step in too many respects.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What you see as current deficiency is the limited number of algorithms. The problem is similar to language comprehension. I can post sone yt videos to illustrate how well google AI understands humans telling jokes in ordinary video conversations. They are being added over time.
AI chess bots are a good example.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What you see as current deficiency is the limited number of algorithms. The problem is similar to language comprehension.
I see more than just comprehension, I think there is algorithm conflict and this may also be behind dropping Lidar and Radar, to simplify the range of inputs. That is on the right lines, but fallible humans are so much better at doing this. They are so poor at coping with complexity of inputs that they simplify "on the fly" by acting only on the perceived priorities of the moment, which are constantly changing, while ignoring what is outside of their perception. They've evolved to do this over countless millions of years in all their past animal and humanoid forms with only the successful surviving.

We're seeing how difficult it is for AI to evolve fast enough to catch up.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
When Tesla rolled out hardware 3.0 to replace hardware 2.5, performance of 3.0 is about 100 times faster than 2.5. Tesla is rolling out hardware 4. Hardware 4 is 3 times faster than 3.0 and the new fsd hardware now has better cameras and a radar too. I watched a demo of the Chinese aito m5. Excellent value and level 2 driving and lidar for 35k dollars.
Most of my miles are done on motorways, level 3 would be sufficient. I have no doubt that fsd will become reality within a decade.

Last edited:
  • Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most of my miles are done on motorways, level 3 would be sufficient. I have no doubt that fsd will become reality within a decade.
I agree with that much, no problem at all.

But I'm speaking of true full self drive in and around this country's roads. Doing all the peculiar things we odd people do with our cars. Then the alternative realities of claimed FSD will emerge and we'll often still be taking over the driving to achieve what we want and need to do.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Beta testing "self-driving" cars on public roads should be illegal.
Want to hear the scary thing about them.

Self driving cars need to knock down cyclists in order to learn from the event. Same goes for pedestrians, kids running out, animals etc

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Many years ago, whilst driving a clapped out Astra, I approached an offset cross roads. I was on a side road, crossing a main two lane road, going into another side road offset to the right by half a roads width.
As I approached I went down through the gears, judged the speed and distance of oncoming traffic, cogged down another gear and accelarated across the road - all whilst singing along to a cassette.
The reason I remember it so much is that the episode impressed on me the marvelous multi abilities of the human system. The complexity of all the calculations, considerations, awareness and multiple actions that this body I live in was able to make, without breaking a sweat and still sing along. Personally, I have no knowledge of all the formulae and mathmatics it would take to accomplish such a feat. Yet it was done.
I marvel at such unconcious, somehow innate ability and doubt that any machine will ever be so capable .

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I watched last night a yt video of a bunch of robots training another robot. The lesson is simple: Pick boxes from some shelf and deposit them on a conveyor belt. The student robot learns by watching other robots do the job. After a short few minutes, it has figured out the purpose of the job and how to do it. The student robot learns so fast that it scares me a bit. The lead project engineer assured viewers that there is no trick, the filming was continuous from start to finish. It is estimated that it takes 30 robots to train a new one with their factory neuralnet.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
I watched last night a yt video of a bunch of robots training another robot. The lesson is simple: Pick boxes from some shelf and deposit them on a conveyor belt. The student robot learns by watching other robots do the job. After a short few minutes, it has figured out the purpose of the job and how to do it. The student robot learns so fast that it scares me a bit. The lead project engineer assured viewers that there is no trick, the filming was continuous from start to finish. It is estimated that it takes 30 robots to train a new one with their factory neuralnet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_Training_Scheme

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Many years ago, whilst driving a clapped out Astra, I approached an offset cross roads. I was on a side road, crossing a main two lane road, going into another side road offset to the right by half a roads width.
As I approached I went down through the gears, judged the speed and distance of oncoming traffic, cogged down another gear and accelarated across the road - all whilst singing along to a cassette.
The reason I remember it so much is that the episode impressed on me the marvelous multi abilities of the human system. The complexity of all the calculations, considerations, awareness and multiple actions that this body I live in was able to make, without breaking a sweat and still sing along. Personally, I have no knowledge of all the formulae and mathmatics it would take to accomplish such a feat. Yet it was done.
I marvel at such unconcious, somehow innate ability and doubt that any machine will ever be so capable .
But on the other hand, also many years ago, I approached a T junction on my bike; no headphones, totally aware. I looked carefully left and looked right, observed a car coming, and rode out straight in front of it. Luckily the driver wasn't an AI robot but was extremely alert and she stopped in time. I'm not sure how that speaks to my ability to handle the complexity of all the calculations, considerations, awareness and multiple actions.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Simple task.

You mentioned that you spend a lot of time on motorways, again the easiest environments for FSD, so clearly even level 3 FSD would be useful for you. The last time I was on a motorway was September 2019. For me FSD would be totally useless due to my range of driving activities and complexities of where I live.

Take the scene below of the exit from my road, the bus is on a stand where it stays for five to ten minutes at a time. Beyond it the road curves gently left. Even creeping out there is no sightline or sensor line without my bonnet already protuding into the remaining lane, so we creep out listening for a horn from the left. Worse still is that my side of the major road is full of a line of parked cars, so the lane ahead of the bus stop opposite has traffic coming fast from the right, completely on their wrong side of the road so potentially head on to me. No FSD will ever cope with such a situation. Without exaggeration we spend half of the time we drive in this large estate completely on the wrong side of the narrow two lane roads, so much so that I have to have my self drive system switched off to prevent it driving me mad with its constant warnings:

Exit.jpg

And then there are my other activities, for example out of the pickup surveying where I'm going to tow a fallen tree to:

B W.jpg

Here laying gravel on woodland paths:

T T 3.jpg

Here delivering in the woods:

Unloading.JPG.JPG

Here before reversing down a steep ramp to launch this tall keel yacht into the sea at Southampton Water:

boat 10b.jpg

FSD wouldn't help me with any of that, nor would it cope with the chaotic builders merchants yard where I collect the ton of gravel.

All of it a far cry from the wide and spacious US scene in the FSD demos, but more typical of the range of things we can and do use our cars for and the difficult circumstances that often exist in the roads of our crowded country.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am pretty sure that the collision avoidance systems will stop the car in time because it will detect the movement of other vehicles and pedestrians faster than humans. After detection, humans need at least 0.5 sec to react. Computers much less.

• Agree

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Ah, so is that where we've been going wrong in "ejukayshun, ejukayshun, ejukayshun".. Should've had 30 teachers per pupil, instead of 30 pupils per teacher?
Did it take 30x30 engineers to train the initial 30 robots? hehe. :)
(Humour, joke, etc)
Oops, bleep, bleep, AI broken, call Human engineers..