Tongsheng thumb throttle

Peter Hartley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2022
Hello. Just fitted a 500w 48v tongsheng mid drive kit to sons bike. After connecting thumb throttle to rear of display it's not working. Searched online for any reasons with no results. Has anyone had similar issue, or an answer? Thanks Peter.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Have you plugged it in the middle socket ? the outer two are for the brakes .PS you may have to pedal assist first before the throttle will work

Reactions: Bikes4two

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Ok did the throttle come with a kit or are you adding one as the tsdz2 has two versions 6 and 8 wire both can have the vlcd5 display but some versions had no throttle option

Peter Hartley

Aug 27, 2022
Ok did the throttle come with a kit or are you adding one as the tsdz2 has two versions 6 and 8 wire both can have the vlcd5 display but some versions had no throttle option
It came in a kit. 8 pin vlcd5 with throttle. IIT

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Some simple user checks/tests that can be done.
1.Make sure that motor is not disabled in lcd and use + button to set eco/tour/speed/turbo.
2.Disconnect brake cutoff cables at back of lcd and recheck.
3.Disconnect throttle. Does motor work when pedaling i.e. with torque sensor?
4.Enable walk assist. Does motor work with walkassist?
5.Disconnect the vlcd cable at 8 pin connector near motor and check for bent pins. Be really careful reconnecting and line up arrows before pushing together. (I find it helpful to put a small white mark at arrows with tippex/white nail varnish on these cables)

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The plug on back of display unit for throttle often appears fully home when it isn't. Took me a while to get mine fully engaged.. Its rather awkward.. Remove it and put a tiny bit of washing up liquid on rubber part and try rengaging in socket fully. (you can feel it go home) Good luck.

RichardC

Nov 23, 2021
I wasn't sure what the throttle did (and someone said it didn't do anything). But I tried it out today and it worked rather well: the trick was to pedal away, using battery assist, and then to press down on the throttle; after half a second, away it went: now in full assist mode. In other words, it took over from my pedalling and carried on driving the bike forward, only ending that when I started pedalling again. It was quite impressive, and it would be tempting if tired (or lazy lol) to let the battery do all the work. Of course, it wouldn't last as long as in normal pedal assist mode, but you can't have everything...

mimran91

Sep 4, 2022
I wasn't sure what the throttle did (and someone said it didn't do anything). But I tried it out today and it worked rather well: the trick was to pedal away, using battery assist, and then to press down on the throttle; after half a second, away it went: now in full assist mode. In other words, it took over from my pedalling and carried on driving the bike forward, only ending that when I started pedalling again. It was quite impressive, and it would be tempting if tired (or lazy lol) to let the battery do all the work. Of course, it wouldn't last as long as in normal pedal assist mode, but you can't have everything...
Is this on the tongsheng? If so which throttle as I have read some throttles only provide a limited response

RichardC

Nov 23, 2021
Is this on the tongsheng? If so which throttle as I have read some throttles only provide a limited response
Sorry for being so slow in responding: it's definitely on the TongSheng, but I can't specify the throttle, I just fitted what came with the kit: sorry!

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
My throttle works ...as a throttle. No pedalling at all required. I use it for starting off on gradients and at dodgy intersections to avoid wobbling. It's a Tongsheng kit purchased from Whoosh and came as standard. It's a great safety enhancement, do I care if it's 100% compliant with our daft regulations....no, I care far more about my own survival.

terravoir1

Just Joined
Mar 4, 2024
I am in the same position - pedal assist works but no matter what I do the throttle does not work.

Thinking of ordering a new throttle and/or 8 pin display. Did you end up getting it to work?

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Are you running stock TSDZ2 firmware? The only time my throttle did not work was when I first loaded in the OSF firmware. I configured it wrong and had no throttle.

Otherwise, it's always been active on both the kits I've installed,
It works as long as you select one of the four assist modes. Doesn't need pedaling to run, but it's not a powerful throttle response in either stock or OSF mode. To a certain extent, that keeps me from being lazy,

The TSDZ2 has become one of my favorite bikes to ride, although it has the least power. It's probably more the bike than the motor, but ot works well on a light 10 speed from the 70's..