Disabled cyclist; with one bad choice behind her, needs help with a new bike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
40 mile ride is physically testing on a full sized bike, more so on a small wheeled bike.
The good thing about the Rambletta battery is it pops out of the frame as soon as you turn the key 60 degrees, it is at easy reach, you do not have to bend down to remove it or fiddle with battery rails like a rack battery.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
BTW I wouldn't put a BBS01B on your Dahon Vitesse, not if you're going to program it for high power, because it has no hinge reinforcement.
Thanks for the tip but I've had to move to the smaller Dahon Curve and am toying with fitting an AKM 74mm motor. The fork's alloy but CH White have steel ones, only available in pink. When I get the tuits I'll start an I Wouldn't Do That IIWY thread.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think the rambletta sounds ideal but I think it might struggle with 40 miles range. Would you be able to recharge the battery after 20 miles ? If not maybe a Rambletta with spare battery ?
Would the spare battery be carried on the pannier rack? The OP has stated she doesn't want a rear heavy bike. What would that bike's total weight become when carrying a spare battery? Could the rear motor be removed and new one installed on the front, for weight balance if carrying a spare battery on the rear rack? I've read front hub motors aren't ideal, but it appears she'll be using roads, so that might be ok?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's not practical to carry a spare battery. Charging at work remains the only viable option for this distance. Even then, I wouldn't contemplate doing 40 miles on a folding bike in a day. It wouldn't do my back any good.
The Rambletta weighs 17.4kgs without battery, 20kgs with the 12AH battery.

Reactions: saneagle

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks for the tip but I've had to move to the smaller Dahon Curve and am toying with fitting an AKM 74mm motor. The fork's alloy but CH White have steel ones, only available in pink. When I get the tuits I'll start an I Wouldn't Do That IIWY thread.
The Curve has sensibly comfy Big Apple tyres, and mudguards to match. I can certainly see the appeal of your plan. Like most Dahons, the Curve has a pannier rack and mudguards. If the battery wasn't on the rear rack, it could be an option for the OP - centrally mounted downtube battery looks possible, as she doesn't need a folding bike. 16" wheels, a low step over (plus frame mounted battery height). A newer Dahon has the spare parts availability advantage. How much would your conversion weigh?

Here's a Curve nobody has bidded for, which needs a front rim:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226038271198

Here's another, with delivery option:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156105450076

If throttles become legal after the government's consultation, I might not be able to restrain myself from making a moped of a Dahon Dove or Sweet Pea - max rider height (5ft 9inch, 5ft 6inch respectively) wouldn't matter because I won't be pedalling, and I now weigh less than the 75kg rider weight limit of those bikes. If I do, I'd lower the BBS01B controller amp limit, because there's even more torque on 14" wheels, the Dove and Sweet Pea have hub gears, and to reduce the likelihood of snapping the frame in half, also to gain more range. Downside is lack of extra weight carrying capacity. I'm sure I'd be able to find some sort of rear rack for my 19.2Ah/691Wh battery, and if not it'd have to be attached centrally, if I can find a way to make the battery mount easily detachable when folding the bike for public transport. Of course I'll look even sillier, so I await throttles becoming legal with dread. Dahon Dove or Sweet Pea BBS01B converted, would be epic effortless hill climbers.

Last edited:

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I dont commute - it's just my main transport, if I drive I park and have to walk from where I parked (hopefully I'll apply and get a disabled badge soon)
I cycle everywhere most people drive or walk, dentist, doctor, shopping, visiting, work appts (tho I work from home) and generally life

I sometimes do 3 or 4 short 3-4 miles in a day

The longer is when I go away as where I camp I don't always have hook up, so I'd range is the problem - guess I don't travel so far when I go away - to enable me to have a life going forward doing my little short trips

(& I lied I'm 75kgs)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
(& I lied I'm 75kgs)
Well that rules the Dahon Dove, Sweet Pea, and jury duty out... but not the Dahon Curve front hub conversion with a big battery, or big batteried BBS01B coversions of Piccolo or Presto Lite, with their 100kg - 105kg rider weight limits, or Bromptons. Bear in mind that the shorter frames may require you to step over the horizontally mounted high capacity 19.2Ah/691Wh downtube battery, making them not so low step over - but that's if you don't want to settle for a bike which doesn't have long range, of 40+ miles. It would certainly be easier and cheaper for you, if you could manage to heave about a somewhat rear heavy 20" wheeled 20kg bike, with about 20 mile range. Of course any bike with heavily filled pannier bags on the rear rack, will be rear heavy regardless of where it's unladen center of gravity is. Perticlularly if filled with cat litter, even the "lightweight" stuff.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Cafes and pubs are good for charging. Wetherspoons is a reliable backstop.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you could manage to heave about a somewhat rear heavy 20" wheeled 20kg bike, with about 20 mile range.
if you were talking about the Rambletta, it's 20kg heavy but not rear heavy, the battery and the motor are roughly equal in weight (2.7-2.8kgs) and placed equidistant from the bottom bracket, the centre of gravity is pretty ideally placed, near the bottom bracket. It's more like an emtb and very unlike a bike with rack battery and rear hub motor like her old Crusa.
The 36V 12AH are made with 10S3P Samsung INR 18650-30E, 432WH. It should do 40 miles for an average rider, about 30 miles to be on the safe side. If the OP wants to consider the Rambletta, she would need to recharge at mid point to avoid range anxiety. There are two reasons why I am not keen to recommend the Rambletta to her, the 40 miles ride in a day and I am about to run out of stock anyway. The next batch is months away due to the current wave of selling offs by those who want to pull out of the market place.

Last edited:

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Katy we use our bikes in much the same way. I take mine out in all weathers but if you can avoid cold and high winds that'll reduce the weather factor and hence weight.

If you have to carry a charger (can't leave one at a destination) that's half a kilo. For light weight we should probably design around your everyday needs and you take an extra battery (spendy) when camping.
Cafes and pubs are good for charging. Wetherspoons is a reliable backstop.
Do they generally let you take the battery in or do you run a long extension through a window? I made one up with a tough sleeve for that. Do customers ever freak out and what do you say to them?

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Katy we use our bikes in much the same way. I take mine out in all weathers but if you can avoid cold and high winds that'll reduce the weather factor and hence weight.

If you have to carry a charger (can't leave one at a destination) that's half a kilo. For light weight we should probably design around your everyday needs and you take an extra battery (spendy) when camping.

Do they generally let you take the battery in or do you run a long extension through a window? I made one up with a tough sleeve for that. Do customers ever freak out and what do you say to them?
On long, multiday trips, charging time is critical, so my gear is preorganised to get started asap. Most people won't need to go this far!

A four way short extension lead with my two chargers plugged in one side, and two USB-c chargers the other for camera and phone, all leads tidy and secured with velcro straps. 4.6A chargers, not the basic 1.8A. Time matters.

I carry in my two batteries, and the charger bundle, and ask for permission to 'charge while I have a meal and a pot of tea', never just 'can I charge, please'. There's a decent payout for them, which dwarfs the electricity cost.

My gear is all bonafide Shimano, clean, undamaged and with reassuring manufacturer's labelling. I have only been challenged once on safety grounds, and that was sufficient explanation as to why it was safe.

I only need charging in the 'winter' half of the year, and my riding is in the north and west, so I am not 'in the way' at busy times in busy places.

But the main key to success is accepting that 'no' is a perfectly reasonable answer, making that clear at the outset and just being polite. I have been charged for charging once, by a formidable Scottish cafe proprietor, but only had a refusal when no power point was available, or a junior staff member was unsure and the manager was not available.

Over time I have acquired local knowledge of charging locations on the routes I have used, and confidence that there is always an answer to be found.

IMG_20221023_131643292.jpg

Customers and indeed staff are generally interested or amazed at the very idea of an ebike on a journey of hundreds of miles, so helpful rather than worried.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
That's exemplary... and I can imagine that having a great story to tell helps too!
I have only been challenged once on safety grounds, and that was sufficient explanation as to why it was safe.
I'm keen to hear how you deal with that. I could let lunch go cold talking tech, the skill is not to do that but to know what people want to hear.

Edit: I meant _need_ to hear factually, sorry, I wasn't being cynical.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Poor Katy. All she wants is a suitable bike. Her head is about to explode with all the mostly trash posted here. How does she know what's relevant? Much of what's been posted is ridiculous.
If none of the pre-made bikes suit her, a conversion might. Best she try a few out.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I know what I don't want (I already have that)

I need a low step through, with shedloads of power to take me not very fast, everywhere, even up hills

I needs to be light, with big wheels, suspension, very sit up and beg
Take a look at the Woosh Santana3

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3

The Santana3 is smaller than the Crusa, very comfortable, stiffer frame, better brakes, 30% more power, 30% more range, easy pedalling and also a little lighter. This is a bike that you can ride 40 miles without stopping if you must.
We currently supply the Santana3 with free upgrade from 15AH to17AH battery.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Take a look at the Woosh Santana3

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3

The Santana3 is smaller than the Crusa, very comfortable, stiffer frame, better brakes, 30% more power, 30% more range, easy pedalling and also a little lighter. This is a bike that you can ride 40 miles without stopping if you must.
We currently supply the Santana3 with free upgrade from 15AH to17AH battery.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that's pretty average for a step through bike with 17AH or 20AH battery. The single tube step through frame is about 0.5kg heavier compared to the double tube Crusa frame, the high capacity battery is about 1kg heavier than the Crusa 13AH battery. You also have the NEX fork (2.7kgs) about 0.7kg heavier than the Crusa steel fork. The rest is about the same: propstand (about 1kg on its own), rack, mudguards, chainguard, lights, bell. If you want to make the bike lighter, you can replace the Suntour NEX fork (2.7kgs) with Rockshox Recon Silver TK Solo Air 2.16kgs) to save 0.5kg. Compared to the Crusa, what you gain is comfort, ride quality, power and range.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
that's pretty average for a step through bike with 17AH or 20AH battery. The sterp through frame is about 0.5kg heavier, you also have the NEX fork (2.7kgs), propstand (about 1kg on its own), rack, mudguards, chainguard, lights, bell. If you want to make the bike lighter, you can replace the Suntour NEX fork (2.7kgs) with Rockshox Recon Silver TK Solo Air 2.16kgs) to save 0.5kg.
The crusa is about 25kg
The crusa is too heavy and all the weight is at the back so it's unstable when I walk with it or load it on the train
The centre of gravity is a problem too

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The centre of gravity: I agree that hasn't changed. If that's a big issue, a front basket would balance the weight. The issue with the Crusa is it's an American sized bike with wide handlebars, 28" wheels with ballon tyres. It can feel unwieldly if you are less than 6ft tall.
The Santana3 feels a lot more compact(front to rear about 1.7m, the battery is somewhat more tucked in), 68cm wide handlebars, 26" wheels, easily handled by 5ft2-6ft riders.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There are limits to what current technology can offer, even with a large budget. Katy needs a step-through frame, large wheels, large margin on range and a throttle in case she can't pedal normally, extra reliability because it will be her main transport. The Santana3 is really a big improvement over her old Crusa on power, range and manoeuvrability.