Heartbroken family pay tribute to teen 'who loved going out with mates' after e-bike crash

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
14 year old on e bike and others on a ONE seater bike, I have no sympathy for stupidity except it is a shame about death, blame the parents

Me I feel for the car driver more, innocent and left with that all his life.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Young lads are wired to push the boundaries, I too did some pretty stoopid things in my youth. The loss of life potential is tragic.
The manufacturers and sellers of these bikes should be named and shamed. They know damn well that they will be used illegally. The people who gave the kid (parents presumably) the bike ......... words fail me !
3 up on an unlit, straight A road at 8pm :eek:
So this is probably going to cause more hooha about 'the menace of e-bikes'. 'The danger of these unregulated machines' etc etc.
Unfortunately more reasoned voices like those from woosh and whisper will not be heard by the press because they are not sensational. How do we,as a eapc loving community, push back against misinformed drivel that lazy reporting produces?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sadly this tragic sad story/event has nothing to do with derestrcting a EAPC so members are jumping on a favourite hobby horse to moan about.

A Suron isn't about it being an EAPC either , it is an uninsured/registered moped that has higher power and speed of approx.30mph. As teenagers go (we have all been there) it is a prank , but in this case is has gone terribly wrong.
The parents may be ruing the day they allowed them to have such a bike or go out on one but they now have to live with that for the rest of their lives, this is where likely the focus should start.

The story needs to be put in to perspective as the story it is and not about jumping on whether EAPC's or ebikes are safe or not, overloading any such bike will lead to stability issues and poor braking response , mix that in with ridng on a straight potentially fast bit of road at night and possiby with no lights and one has a cocktail for such an ending.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
For starters we can stop telling people how to derestrict their bikes. I think more than half of members here have illegal mopeds and just pretend to have EAPCs because it is convenient and cheap.

I think Admin should place a ban on any posts telling people how to de restrict bikes and on any questions it is illegal therefore promoting it is irresponsible

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Why does the press not ask why the parent, (who else) bought an illegal bike, and any helmets worn ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So this is probably going to cause more hooha about 'the menace of e-bikes'. 'The danger of these unregulated machines' etc etc.
The 'hooha' should be more about why they were allowed by the parents to own or use such a bike and whether appropriate lights were used for the time of night.
Of the bikes I see at night very few if any have any lights , whether electric bike or push bike. I suspect I'm one of the odd ones out at night as I have two lights front and rear showing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think Admin should place a ban on any posts telling people how to de restrict bikes and on any questions it is illegal therefore promoting it is irresponsible
We have a sub forum for Speed pedelecs so banning isn't an option.
Such posts should though not be within the main EAPC forum but placed in the Speed sub forum which one has to search for in the forums listing .

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The forum rules, that users agree too, seem clear;

"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws."

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
The forum rules, that users agree too, seem clear;

"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws."

Who reads the rules in reality ?

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
When I see the news I always cringe and laugh.

1. When you see house fires and deaths NO ONE says "did they have smoke alarms fitted"
2. When you see fires from tumble dryers blame the machine, NO, blame (I worked in the industry) the buildup of years of fluff and fine particles that were never cleaned out MONTHLY by the owner, and the fact that the tops should be taken off and insides vacuumed out regularly, never hear that in the news.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Aren't all Sur-rons already capable of high speed? There's no need to look for derestriction methods on forums.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Aren't all Sur-rons already capable of high speed? There's no need to look for derestriction methods on forums.
Exactly so no point on users jumping on the derestiction hobby horse as in this case it has nothing to do with the accident or bike in use.