Heartbroken family pay tribute to teen 'who loved going out with mates' after e-bike crash

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think Admin should place a ban on any posts telling people how to de restrict bikes and on any questions it is illegal therefore promoting it is irresponsible
In that case you should be banned, as you have been promoting your illegal bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Same old same old shite!

Kids crash motorbikes every day, both legally and illegally. What's that got to do with us?

An electric Jaguar drove into some cars by itself. It has the word "electric" in its description. Which "electric" bicycles do we need to ban next, and do we need to lock our bikes in the garage in case they go rogue and start running down old ladies? Do those Amazon quadricycles need to be banned because they're electric and have 4 wheels like the Jaguar? Do we need to restrict all electric cars to 4 mph in case they go rogue too? What about the guys that change the software in their EVs to ge better performance? Should we ban them from all social media in case somebody else wants to do it and it might make their car go rogue?

Last edited:

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Blame the moron parents

Ow! It hurt me to watch that and I feel very sorry for the kid. His parents should be in jail.

In spite of his pain and distress, that little lad is very lucky to be walking about howling after a crash like that. He must have hit that solid gate at more than twenty miles an hour!

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Same old same old shite!

Kids crash motorbikes every day, both legally and illegally. What's that got to do with us?

An electric Jaguar drove into some cars by itself. It has the word "electric" in its description. Which "electric" bicycles do we need to ban next, and do we need to lock our bikes in the garage in case they go rogue and start running down old ladies? Do those Amazon quadricycles need to be banned because they're electric and have 4 wheels like the Jaguar? Do we need to restrict all electric cars to 4 mph in case they go rogue too? What about the guys that change the software in their EVs together better performance? Should we ban them from all social media in case somebody else wants to do it and it might make their car go rogue?
Well said.

The desire for new rules and restrictions to regulate <insert object name here> whenever some moron does something horrible or dangerous, is a disease a proportion of Brits seem to suffer from. Ban it! Make them have a license! Tax them! Wrap them up in bureaucracy!

It is entirely mad.

What should happen is that the people who behave badly need to be hammered by the courts. A small proportion of the population are moronic monsters. Most people are responsible and act with care and discretion, so here in the UK, we treat everyone as if they were an amoral moron by banning possession of objects most would use carefully.

It isn't the bike /car / gun / dog that is the problem - it is the moron who abused it or gave it to a child to play with. I think this tendency to demand or even tolerate the massive curtailment of freedom in this country is one of the very worst things about living here.

PUNISH IDIOTS AND BAD ACTORS and LEAVE THE REST OF US ALONE to act responsibly!!!

• Agree
Reactions: snafu and saneagle

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well said.

The desire for new rules and restrictions to regulate <insert object name here> whenever some moron does something horrible or dangerous, is a disease a proportion of Brits seem to suffer from. Ban it! Make them have a license! Tax them! Wrap them up in bureaucracy!

It is entirely mad.

What should happen is that the people who behave badly need to be hammered by the courts. A small proportion of the population are moronic monsters. Most people are responsible and act with care and discretion, so here in the UK, we treat everyone as if they were an amoral moron by banning possession of objects most would use carefully.

It isn't the bike /car / gun / dog that is the problem - it is the moron who abused it or gave it to a child to play with. I think this tendency to demand or even tolerate the massive curtailment of freedom in this country is one of the very worst things about living here.

PUNISH IDIOTS AND BAD ACTORS and LEAVE THE REST OF US ALONE to act responsibly!!!
Many good points there. My first thought was about who bought that bike for the kids , who died. Like the other two kids, who died in the supposed police chase not long ago, there's a good chance that the kids are drugs mules and their "benevolent uncle" was their handler.

Reactions: Tony1951

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Blame the moron parents

DYU D3F has cruise mode. The throttle engages cruise after you hold it constant for 8 seconds. He got to the end of his street, rolled back the throttle, and it carried on at max speed, taking him by surprise. Yes, he could have used the brakes, but was probably panicking when the bike had a mind of its own. This is why I say that cruise control is so dangerous. Although everything is logical, it takes you by surprise when the cruise engages without you understanding why, how or when. He wasn't reckless in his driving. He just didn't understand how the bike works.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sadly this tragic sad story/event has nothing to do with derestrcting a EAPC so members are jumping on a favourite hobby horse to moan about.
Same old same old shite!

It isn't the bike /car / gun / dog that is the problem - it is the moron who abused it or gave it to a child to play with.
I disagree. Posting about derestricting EAPCs shows a contempt for the law and gives the impression that this law is unimportant, seen very clearly in the casual way that so many join just to find out how to break this law.

It is not unimportant, nor is it anything to do with the British inclination to ban or restrict at every opportunity. Virtually identical law is in place in many countries around the world covering all manner of peoples, to the extent that it is the only world standard in existance.

The EAPC regulations are bicycle law, cleverly drafted to maintain that status as assisted bicycles which are NEVER e-bikes, and we should be united in supporting that in its entirety.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Just take a look at the caliber of people who make our laws.......

Take a look at their inclination to legislate at every opportunity.

Take a look at their obvious desire to tie up the people they govern in the name of with pointless, useless bureaucracy.

After thinking about these issues, look again at the likelihood that the useless people that pack our parliament can be trusted to produce good laws or manage any process efficiently. I refer to my other post about how utterly broken this country is where virtually no government run process actually works properly.

Oh - and by the way.... I don't care what other countries do. For every one that has the same Ebike laws as we do, there is another with very different ones. Some nations value freedom and personal responsibility, preferring to punish malefactors hard and leave the rest alone, and others don't and prefer the default position that you are not allowed to do anything they haven't written into law that you can do.

Reactions: Nealh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I disagree. Posting about derestricting EAPCs shows a contempt for the law and gives the impression that this law is unimportant, seen very clearly in the casual way that so many join just to find out how to break this law.

It is not unimportant, nor is it anything to do with the British inclination to ban or restrict at every opportunity. Virtually identical law is in place in many countries around the world covering all manner of peoples, to the extent that it is the only world standard in existance.

The EAPC regulations are bicycle law, cleverly drafted to maintain that status as assisted bicycles which are NEVER e-bikes, and we should be united in supporting that in its entirety.
Whatever we do on this forum has nothing to do with three underage kids crashing a motorbike that they're riding illegally, just like it has nothing to do with people that drive over 30mph in a 30 mph limited are or over 70 mph on a motorway.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whatever we do on this forum has nothing to do with three underage kids crashing a motorbike that they're riding illegally, just like it has nothing to do with people that drive over 30mph in a 30 mph limited are or over 70 mph on a motorway.
Kids primarily learn by example and all instances of contempt for the law shown by adults influence them and their behaviour.

So it has everything to do with your various examples, including here.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
3 up on an ebike at night on an A rd,

Who gave a 14 yr old a Suron? I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now...
It might have belonged to one of the other.
Aren't all Sur-rons already capable of high speed? There's no need to look for derestriction methods on forums.
45-50mph and its likely the rider wouldnt be wearing a suitable lid.

Derestriction -
On the EMTB forum this is the pre thread warning whenever this subject gets posted on.

"
Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. "
--------------------------------------------------

Most people on that forum will advise against derestricting the bike, and I think we all know who on here will readily give advice on how to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have had my bike on the diagnostic software and it did not detect my bad ass dongle and peter at ebike motor centre has never had a motor broken buy a dongle.

all they do is remove the speed limit the controller and batts amps are the same and if you try shunt mod the bms much more past 1a than stock it bricks the bms :rolleyes:

and ebike shop still sells dongles even for the smart motors and does not effect his warranty ;)

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Its very common for the 'laws apply to others' adults to come up with what they think are valid reasons why they are justified in breaking some, maybe many, laws.

Not a good message to children though, since a lot of children do grow up to be adults.

Reactions: Woosh

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
3 up on an ebike at night on an A rd,

Who gave a 14 yr old a Suron? I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now...
Why do they even report it as an Ebike? I had a look at the Surrons on sale and all appear to be electic motor bikes with no pedals. Just how 3 riders can fit on the saddle beats me! As others have said, nothing to do with Ebikes at all.

Reactions: Woosh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Sadly this tragic sad story/event has nothing to do with derestrcting a EAPC so members are jumping on a favourite hobby horse to moan about.
To me connection is pretty obvious. Main reason why accidents on Surrons are so deadly is speed. By helping to derestrict e-bikes we create more Surrons out there, just without Surron label - cheaper and more accessible. We increase risk not only to those who derestrict e-bikes, but also to the public.

A Suron isn't about it being an EAPC either , it is an uninsured/registered moped that has higher power and speed of approx.30mph.
Precisely. I can't help but wonder what all those speed lovers are doing on EAPC forum.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
To me connection is pretty obvious. Main reason why accidents on Surrons are so deadly is speed. By helping to derestrict e-bikes we create more Surrons out there, just without Surron label - cheaper and more accessible. We increase risk not only to those who derestrict e-bikes, but also to the public.

Precisely. I can't help but wonder what all those speed lovers are doing on EAPC forum.
Can you show some examples of where people were helped to create these unlabelled Sur Ron's on this forum? I can't remember reading anything like that recently. Maybe I missed it.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Can you show some examples of where people were helped to create these unlabelled Sur Ron's on this forum? I can't remember reading anything like that recently. Maybe I missed it.
Short term memory loss? Already forgotten advice given by yourself on how to derestrict bike and even how to get away with it when stopped by police? All quite effective I must admit.
I have better things to do than searching through archives. We both know you did it, so why bother to deny?

Reactions: StuartsProjects

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Short term memory loss? Already forgotten advice given by yourself on how to derestrict bike and even how to get away with it when stopped by police? All quite effective I must admit.
I have better things to do than searching through archives. We both know you did it, so why bother to deny?
There aren't any then - only in your imagination.