Prices of the electricity we use to charge

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"Electric cars are also known to reignite "up to two or three weeks after the initial fire", says Mr Maher, meaning they have to be "quarantined" away from other vehicles even after the fire appears to have been put out."

You'd think they would try to get the facts right. They report some 540,000 electric on UK roads, when in fact the battery electric ones alone are over a million, without about half again Hybrids with lithium batteries.

At least they've confirmed that the Luton airport car park fire was NOT caused by an e-car, contrary to all the scaremongering.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"0.0012% chance of a passenger electric vehicle battery catching fire, compared with a 0.1% chance for internal combustion engine cars. "

"The federal government promised to plant two billion trees. How’s that going?
An ambitious plan to make a greener Canada is struggling to take root."

"More recent research has documented the declining nutrient value in some staple crops due to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) levels"

"Fish ‘full of contraceptive pill, antidepressants and cocaine’ after sewage spills"

"Are growing rates of anxiety, depression, ADHD, PTSD, Alzheimer’s and motor neurone disease related to rising temperatures and other extreme environmental changes?"

Last edited:

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Re fish being full of drugs.... that is NOTHING to do with irregular releases of sewage into rivers. Sewagd treatment works do not remove metabolites of pharma products from waste water before releasinv it to the environment. They process waste by using natural bacteria to break down urin and solids and then screen large matter out of the outflow. The solid, processed waste is spread on farms to be ploughed into soil. Releasing raw sewage into rivers during flood events has no impact on drug metabolite content of water in rivers. The levels are tiny in any case.

This problem arises becsuse thd uk has always mixed foul and surface water in the same sewage system. Heavy rain simply overwhelms the sewage plant and overflows into natural drainage system.

Reactions: Woosh

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Some of these academics are charletans and publicity seakers. That marine biologist (Langton) MUST know that the drug metabolites are NOT there because of irregular weather related outflows of raw sewage. It isnt drugs he is finding anyway. The drugs sre broken down in the body and converted into other substances called metabolites or break down products. What comes out is not what went in, as anyone who has flushed a toilet knows very well.

I hate these liars.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
An urgent warning has been issued after two "devastating fires" in Norfolk homes sparked by vacuum cleaners exploding while they were charging up. Both of the blazes started when lithium-ion batteries in the devices blew up, with one of the homes so badly damaged it was rendered uninhabitable.

20240331_214842[1].jpg

you cant remove the 24v bomb tho i did take apart the older one we had that you could remove the batt and not much in it pcb logic wise.

ppl will just throw that stuff in the bin and not even think about it as seen plenty about on the side of the road and that batt wont keep charging forever and doubt it is even mentioned on the product page.

more renewable tech 1 year warranty and time for the canal :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240331_225336[1].jpg
20240331_225407[1].jpg

last bill was £102, need more global warming :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: MikelBikel

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
'Make hay while the sun shines', coz if you export enough to cut your bill, they'll just raise your charges! :cool:
That's a good point. I just got notification from EDF. They put up the standing charge, so even if I use less electricity, I still have to pay more.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Something is about to happen. The price of gold is going up rapidly. That happens before some financial calamity.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It's been happening since Nixon 'closed the gold window' in 1972. This removed all discipline from governments and they've been on a printing spree since.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Something is about to happen. The price of gold is going up rapidly. That happens before some financial calamity.
I think it's the digital coins that drive up the gold price. Higher digital coin price leads to excess liquidity leads to higher share price, house price, gold price and lower interest rate.
Biden needs it, Sunak needs it, Macron needs it to support their claim that the economy is doing well.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there are lessons there to be learned. I was looking around for an electric car and the high cost of insurance put me off again and again. Their acceleration ought to be reduced to match their ICE cousins'. BTW, Nvidia self driving platform passed level 3. You can take your eyes off the road on some roads.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
there are lessons there to be learned. I was looking around for an electric car and the high cost of insurance put me off again and again. Their acceleration ought to be reduced to match their ICE cousins'. BTW, Nvidia self driving platform passed level 3. You can take your eyes off the road on some roads.
To be honest, I was surprised at the revellation that electric cars are disproportionately involved in accidents. I'm wondering whether that has something to do with the type of drivers or whether the controls are too complicated or distracting compared with traditional IC cars. Surely, the acceleration can be tamed with the power algorithms in the different driving modes? It shouldn't be too difficult.

The higher insurance is probably due to several factors. We can see that electric cars are more involved in accidents, but also, the cost of repairs are much higher, both to the electric car and anything they hit because of the additional mass. Some repairers simply won't touch EVs, and it must be a nightmare of worry to have a damaged one to repair, when there's a risk of it spontaneously catching fire. I saw a video about an Audi dealer. They had a special area to "quarantine" electric cars that needed some sort of repairs. They leave them in quarantine for some length of time to mitigate the risk of them burning down the workshop. 14:00, 18:00, details at 19:50, then 21:30 to see how they get it into the workshop. You don't think about all this when you buy an electric car. You can only imagine what it must be like when someone brings in a car with a dented battery cover:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To be honest, I was surprised at the revellation that electric cars are disproportionately involved in accidents. I'm wondering whether that has something to do with the type of drivers or whether the controls are too complicated or distracting compared with traditional IC cars. Surely, the acceleration can be tamed with the power algorithms in the different driving modes? It shouldn't be too difficult.
Indeed, there's no excuse if drivers use their heads. The acceleration of mine in normal Drive mode is grossly excessive, so I only use that mode in long open road journeys.

At all other times I'm in Eco mode which reduces the power by 40%, leaving its performance much closer to other cars.

Controls are not a problem, driving an e-car is largely like driving a bumper car, single pedal control nearly all the time since easing off applies motor braking.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I bought a new car at the start of February. I looked at the prices and bought a petrol one. So far, in the first 1000 miles covered, almost exclusively on A road journeys between my place in Northumberland and Newcastle upon Tyne at an average of about 57 miles an hour, it has averaged 58 miles per gallon. This includes about 4 miles of urban driving on a 41 mile journey. My previous car, a diesel on the same journeys averaged about 61/62 miles per gallon. I drove diesels for about twenty years up until this car, and I am surprised at how much better petrol engine economy is these days. My old carburetor petrol car from around 2000 did only about 40 miles per gallon in the same kind of driving.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Indeed, there's no excuse if drivers use their heads. The acceleration of mine in normal Drive mode is grossly excessive, so I only use that mode in long open road journeys.

At all other times I'm in Eco mode which reduces the power by 40%, leaving its performance much closer to other cars.

Controls are not a problem, driving an e-car is largely like driving a bumper car, single pedal control nearly all the time since easing off applies motor braking.
I'm thinking more about these big OLED touch panels they have to operate things like lights that are hidden behind pages of menus instead of a simple switch.. Even my car has one of those, mainly for secondary functions, like GPS and radio. It's really difficult to use on the move, just to switch between radio and GPS so that you can change stations.

Reactions: flecc