Another Sur-ron accident.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I wouldn't credit the arrest for being under the influence as proof, it could easily be an over reach by an enthusiastic promotion hungry copper, its kinda their 'brand ' after all.

Reactions: Brik

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
I wouldn't credit the arrest for being under the influence as proof, it could easily be an over reach by an enthusiastic promotion hungry copper, its kinda their 'brand ' after all.
They do a road side swab which tests for cocaine and cannabis (why not heroin I wonder?) which is very accurate, this leads to an evidential blood test.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
They do a road side swab which tests for cocaine and cannabis (why not heroin I wonder?) which is very accurate, this leads to an evidential blood test.
The road side swab test for cannabis is very sensitive rather than very accurate as it can test positive 8-12 hours after consumption when the effects will have worn off in 4-5 hours.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Just to clarify. It's the car driver who has been found unfit through drink or drugs, not the e-motorbike rider. If i understand from how the report was written.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
"
E-bike rider suffers life-threatening injuries in Plymouth crash
"

SURON bike, good, he could have killed a pedestrian, no sympathy, these people buy these bikes as a cheap alternative and no licence needed to a motorbike so no insurance.

• Dislike
Reactions: danielrlee

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
"
E-bike rider suffers life-threatening injuries in Plymouth crash
"

SURON bike, good, he could have killed a pedestrian, no sympathy, these people buy these bikes as a cheap alternative and no licence needed to a motorbike so no insurance.
Karma has a way of dealing with people, who wish bad things on innocent people. At the moment, there is no evidence that the Sur Ron rider didn't have a licence and insurance, and, in case you didn't know, they're not illegal either. That sort of biggoted thinking is dangerous. It can cause people to buy crank-drive bikes and believe they did the right thing:

Chainmale

Pedelecer
May 13, 2020
It would be interesting to know if there are actually any registered road legal versions of these machines on the road in the UK.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
24 Surron Light Bee and 48 Surron Ultra Bee were registered in January 2024 in the UK, non in February. 24 Light Bee in December 2023 as well.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They do a road side swab which tests for cocaine and cannabis (why not heroin I wonder?)
Heroin is very different in that it mimics the body's natural L-dopamine. It's the excess mimicry and shutting down of the natural L-dopamine production that is harmful, otherwise it doesn't affect functionality.

I knowingly employed a heroin addict as a truck driver over an 8 year period up until my retirement and he had a perfect accident free record and was liked by customers and all other staff.

The remaining harm is from "street" heroin contaminated by dealers with other substances to make it go further. The resulting gradual wrecking of body functions eventually took the life of my ex truck driver at the young age of 57.

We once had a very sensible way of dealing with heroin addiction back in the early 1960s and before, giving addicts their daily dose of pure heroin BPC on prescription. With no market for criminal dealers our national count of heroin addicts was only some 400 and not increasing.

That only came to an end due to an idiot MP protesting about the very small prescription cost. Instead (long story) within little time we ended up with a huge and ever growing national heroin addiction problem and the high cost of tens of thousands of daily Methodone prescriptions as wholly inadequate substitutes.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Karma has a way of dealing with people, who wish bad things on innocent people. At the moment, there is no evidence that the Sur Ron rider didn't have a licence and insurance, and, in case you didn't know, they're not illegal either. That sort of biggoted thinking is dangerous. It can cause people to buy crank-drive bikes and believe they did the right thing:

The bike is ILLEGAL on the road

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is a road legal Suron , it does though need to be registered and licenced as per any moped or motorcycle.
The guy in d8veh's post seems to show a lack of responsibilty like a lot of these riders on mopeds, speeding and passing on narrow streets where an accident is waiting to happen with parked vehicles, side roads and possible pedestrians and other traffic to be of concern.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
There is a road legal Suron , it does though need to be registered and licenced as per any moped or motorcycle.
The guy in d8veh's post seems to show a lack of responsibilty like a lot of these riders on mopeds, speeding and passing on narrow streets where an accident is waiting to happen with parked vehicles, side roads and possible pedestrians and other traffic to be of concern.
That's what gets so annoying about the media how electric bicycles are mixed with electric motorcycles or mopeds. If there are no pedals then the person is not a cyclist and it is not an electric bicycle. I know it can get confusing if you have one of those tiny mopeds from China without pedals but a large off-road Sur Ron without pedals with very high wattage isn't even close to being a electric bicycle and should never be confused with one. It's now very hard to get correct statistics about injuries and incidents caused by electric bicycles because you get electric motorcycles included in those statistics.

We just need to get back to sensible certification and legislation, proper rules for wattage and functionality and legislation for electric bicycles on shared paths and the road. Simple, clear and honest certification and legislation works best. That way the police can do their job with clear instructions and rules.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
It’s a big problem in the United States as well and state laws are currently being changed to bring e-bikes under control.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I thought that guy on the Suron bike would have been much better off had he bought a small to medium capacity petrol motorbike.

I bought this 28 year old Honda CB250 for £650 with only 11500 miles on it. I didn't need it, because I already had two motorbikes, but I spotted it on Facebook Marketplace and it was only 20 miles from where I live. I just could not resist at the price. It needed an MOT which it easily passed after a quick look over and replacement of a missing split pin I discovered on the rear brake reaction rod which I spotted straight away. It's a great little bike, 20 HP and easily cruises at 60 if you want, though I use it mostly for toddling around country lanes, or going for a bit of shopping. It doesn't make that annoying whizzing noise like that horrible electric moped, and it systematically delivers 100mpg the way I drive it.

Just look at it for £650!RainbowHondaJuly evening.jpeg

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
It would be interesting to know if there are actually any registered road legal versions of these machines on the road in the UK.
There's one near me that often filters past me in my car. Has a full size motorcycle reg plate and he rides sensibly.