"Brompton weighs in on better battery laws to clamp down on eBike fires "

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
ESF's proposed bill 1.(1)(a): "unless conformity assessment procedures have been carried out by a conformity assessment body (‘CAB’) authorised by the Secretary of State".
ESF's annual report 2020: "The Charity’s principal source of revenue to fund our activities is Certsure LLP, our commercial joint venture".
Certsure's homepage: "We offer industry-leading certification services".

ESF's proposal is a direct appeal for a licence to make money. Certification would clearly inhibit new businesses and technologies entering the market and importantly it's still in question whether it would make batteries any safer.

I reckon ESF did themselves no favours with their Dangerous E-Bike Chargers report claiming that "An incorrect plug is a sign that the charger has not been adequately tested". Very often overmoulded power cables are supplied that are probably separately sourced for the countries a retailer serves, and ESF didn't test a single one of these 'unsafe' chargers or establish which cable UK customers receive.

NB a proper mains plug is essential (link).

Reactions: Tony1951 and Az.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I find this charity very intrusive and super annoying. I would very much welcome a new legislation limiting its activity.

jamesporritt

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2021
ESF's proposed bill 1.(1)(a): "unless conformity assessment procedures have been carried out by a conformity assessment body (‘CAB’) authorised by the Secretary of State".
ESF's annual report 2020: "The Charity’s principal source of revenue to fund our activities is Certsure LLP, our commercial joint venture".
Certsure's homepage: "We offer industry-leading certification services".

ESF's proposal is a direct appeal for a licence to make money. Certification would clearly inhibit new businesses and technologies entering the market and importantly it's still in question whether it would make batteries any safer.

I reckon ESF did themselves no favours with their Dangerous E-Bike Chargers report claiming that "An incorrect plug is a sign that the charger has not been adequately tested". Very often overmoulded power cables are supplied that are probably separately sourced for the countries a retailer serves, and ESF didn't test a single one of these 'unsafe' chargers or establish which cable UK customers receive.

NB a proper mains plug is essential (link).
Does ESF certify batteries? For cordless tools, ebikes?

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Its sounds highly unlikley that no-one is allowed to climb a ladder beyond 12ft without scafolding.

There might well be some circumstances when those in emplyment have to errect scafolding.
I was wrong. I have looked up the law and it applies to trades people.

That said, erecting scaffolding vastly increases the costs of simple work at gutter level. I was quoted a ridiculous scaffolding charge for recovering the top of a bay window with new felt. £180 for the actual work, and £500 for the scaffolding. I just put up my own ladders, bought 10 litres of cold mastic and cut a strip of felt from a roll I had after re-roofing the shed. Total cost about £25 - the felt was left over. Job took half an hour.

I would have edited or deleted that post where I said the electrical and height regulations applied to the individual doing his own work. I can't. The buttons ofr edit and delete must be time limited.

Sorry about that.

Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would have edited or deleted that post where I said the electrical and height regulations applied to the individual doing his own work. I can't. The buttons ofr edit and delete must be time limited.
Yes it's 24 hours Tony.

Reactions: Tony1951

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
As presently, new ebike laws will rarely be enforced.
That's dangerous thinking. Bike laws are rarely enforced against individuals but the proposed bill acts against the suppliers of batteries, chargers, ebikes and conversion kits, and they're much easier to pin down.

If Certsure were named as an assessor, this certifying body that funds a de facto industry consortium and lobby group would become gatekeepers to the UK market, surely a pandemic-style conflict of interest. We should get writing to our MPs about ESF's proposal.

Reactions: guerney and Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm sure that if Certsure make a suitable contribution to party funds the current government will be happy rush through some unthoughout legislation.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
It is absolutely scandalous that the prime motivator of the bill has a vested interest in its passage - a license to make money and restrict competition.

The scale of the problem does not demand a locking down of the battery and e-bike industry into the maw of a handful of expensive producers. I am put in mind of the chap who made my battery and did the conversion on my bike. He is a very small, careful one man band and I have confidence in him. This kind of regulation would put him right out of business. The scale of his enterprise could not bear the costs of being certified. It is not like an MOT - this kind of stuff costs many tens of thousands of pounds and has ongoing demands and interference.

Reactions: Az. and Woosh

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It takes a minimum of three years to become a qualified electrician, with practical and theory exams and tests. Then you need a certificate proving that you are cogniscant witht the current regulations - another course/exam. These regs are constantly updated and changed, so this is repeatable. Then you have to register with a trade body at your own expense. This is an annual fee with the need to be annually inspected and to show continual proffessional development. I.e. paying for more courses. Then your very expensive test meters have to be annually calibrated, at your own expense.
Then along comes Part P that allows anyone who has done a weeks on line course to work on kitchens and bathrooms and makes a mockery of the whole shebang.
All this regulation has meant that electricians have had to put their rates up significantly just to cover costs. The methodologies that have to be used look overly complex to the punter and the suspiscion always is thet they are being fleeced through techno babble.

The relevant point of this rant is that all this regulation has not stopped dodgy practices. People constantly do it themselves or seek workarounds because they just can't afford the gen job. The cowboys are still there under the radar, but worse than before because any one with a bit of understanding would not go anywhere near these bodge jobs because of the danger and liability.. Yet still the Jo Bloggs, 'I'll do that for you mate' as a favour to the neighbour are still there. I know - I see the nightmarish results.

I'm not sure what's being proposed for batteries but I can guarentee it will make things worse.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I had to go into a house in a similar state to make the electrics safe. It was a chip pan fire. Let's all panic and regulate chip pans.

Reactions: Tony1951

Kneebiker

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2021
Standardise charging protocol, plugs and sockets, is a good idea.
if the components are safe then there is much less need to legislate the kits.
Knee Jerk reaction I agree but on reflection. Unless we have very clever chargers (think PD usb c) then same sockets/plugs across multiple voltages is asking for trouble, isn't it ? I'm on Facebook groups about ebikes and battery building.

It. Is. Terrifying

This forum is like being in university by comparison.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I was wrong. I have looked up the law and it applies to trades people.

Is there an exemption for my window cleaner..??

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Never seen anything like that. He won't be with us long. If he was your window cleaner, I'd advise you start already looking for another one. :)

Reactions: Scorpio