£1.33 pannier bags from aliexpress..

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
After my first posts and pics of my bike some wise members advised me to consider pannier carriers for the rear rather than the higher centre of gravity black plastic box currently fitted.

So when i was presented with a special offer from an aliexpress seller I had to bite, and they finally arrived..

hmmmm

Well i had some grey rain gutter down pipe so i cut some lengths and flattened them out to create spoke guards as the panniers wanted to sit between the frame and rear carrier support prone to the rotating wheel spokes .. and without the plastic tube guards there would be nothing to secure the bags to.

Pics will follow but its not nice out tonight..

Size wise, they are smaller than i expected but not too small.. circa one full corner shop flimsy carrier bag full per pannier, which is a useful shopping volume..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If they're anything like my cheapos, probably not very waterproof - I use this:

They're cheaper in green for some reason.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
When I first started cycle touring I couldn't afford Ortleib so went for Altura Dryliner I think they were called and indeed they kept the kit dry in all sorts of weather.

As good as they were I always kept the stuff inside in poly bags as much for internal organising as anything else.

When wet they were relatively heavy and took a while to dry and on reflection I'd have been as well off with their standard panniers (Aran) as cheaper and lighter or even something cheaper still.

All I look for in panniers now is how well they connect to the pannier rack - good solid upper hooks that click into place and solid lower attachments (ie not simple hooks on rubber bands).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As good as they were I always kept the stuff inside in poly bags as much for internal organising as anything else.
After a camera got soggy last year, despite my rucksack supposedly being well waterproofed, everything water vulnerable now gets stuffed into 100% waterproof roll top bags of various sizes.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
A shopping basket filled level is about the right quantity for my panniers so it's easy to avoid buying too much.

I always have a carabiner (spring loaded keyring clip) on the back of my seat, very handy to secure the top of a rucksack that's too tall to fit in the panniers.

A plastic basket as used at fruit markets is useful - if you bolt it to the top of your rack it clamps the panniers in place and gives you more carry / storage space.
:cool:

• Useful
Reactions: guerney

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Thanks for the links to the covers @guerney So far my only water related concern is leaving them unzipped in a rainstorm and coming back to liters of water contained in the bags, no drain hole as standard.. , Initial inspection indicates a nice waxy sheen to the fabric, but time will reveal the truth ;) the uncovered zips and attaching fabric strip are a weak point for water ingress during heavy rain.

Not my solution for a week+ cycling trek trip, just a handy carrier for daily shopping/use..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Mine are very fine drizzle-resistant. The stitching on cheapo bags weaken with rain (they should use silk thread, which get stronger when wet), but the good news is, it's only...

...for another one.

Reactions: thelarkbox