£50 bike repair voucher from tonight

MJS_1066

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2020
Think I'll put worn out tyres back on my old mtb, might as well dip my bread in this gravy. It is my tax money after all :p:p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i even got a new front sprocket today pmsl. i got legs like he man :p
DSC_0230_01.JPG

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well, even despite the schemes flaws, I wouldn't knock it.
We need a National, Government led revival of ordinary cycling and I earnestly hope that this is just a start.

Reactions: Amoto65 and LSR

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
So ***when*** can you use the voucher?
The best LBS near me has been overloaded with repair work ever since the lockdown started. They only answer 1 in 3 telephone calls, because it just rings all the time.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The main idea of the scheme is for people who have bikes in the shed/garage etc to dig them out and to get them mobile again without it costing a fortune. An odd tyre replacement, maybe a chain and brakes checking . Can't see much more being done for £50.
Unless you are a dedicated cyclist who knows a bike inside out then most haven't a clue, at work they think I mad with my ebikes. Most think parts are only a fiver or tenner here and there and I tell them they are if you want to buy total crap, occasionally though not everything cheap is totally crap.

Recently my XT front mech wouldn't play ball so I ended up binning it and bought a Sunrace triple for £12 from SJS Cylces after doing my homework, I fitted it with a new inner cable and it worked pretty much bang on straight away a few minutes indexing front and rear job done and a fantastic little buy. In the short time I have had it fitted it works so much better then the XT ever did.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The best LBS near me has been overloaded with repair work ever since the lockdown started. They only answer 1 in 3 telephone calls, because it just rings all the time.
the best lbs i know is not even taking part as it is a 3 month waiting time most of the year and they will not service sub 1k bikes anyway.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You have to go to the Govm't web site and look on the map for participating LBS in your area, only those LBS that have signed up can except the voucher to redeem it . Halfrauds is one and Decathlon are another just but to name two.

Reactions: budsy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you let halfords service ur bike it wont be fit for purpose anymore ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
£50 isn't really going to get much work done on a bike tbh, by the time an LBS factors in there time I think peeps will be lucky to get a flat tyre repair/replaced, brakes working and a chain.
LBS will use up the whole voucher and won't surprise me if then ask the owner for more as they find other stuff to replace to make more profit.

Bit of a con I thought also
Just had said to wife just before reading any posts on this subject
as i also do feel as Neal h said that they shall want more £s for jobs they say
needs done , should be an alternative in that people can say it wont matter
and just walk away as sure u can being your bike
but we all do want a bike which is healthy for the road, but the asking
whats needed done in advance and at what price then owner of bike should be told
although sure shall be told bofore any job/s done in how much it shall cost
this before any job is done ..

The bike I use a non e bike hasn't had any form of maintenance since I bought it years ago , although I had greased it up chain and nuts etc
as i did for winter times in past when not used , this done ahead of winter
as bike lay in garage, but its been out much more this year , and I intend to ride more
on it this year inc this Winter time .

Is a good gesture the £50 free maintenance
but I also feel theres a catch in this as you get nothing for free in this
sad World which is £s orientated.

So i doubt ill take my bike to anyone fir sure , the only thing ive done
is checked quickly the hub gears if they needed aligned
on my bicycle but alls working ok, so left that alone
as not for me to tinkle with , and so I just oiled the chain and inbetween front / back wheel nuts now and then.

But importantly is " the brakes " on the hub of my bike for now don't stop dead
although I don't wanna stop dead and end up over the handle bars and I do
use both front and back breaking together if I need just to slow
or come to a stop , in which slows me down to a stop when going at some speed.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
You have to go to the Govm't web site and look on the map for participating LBS in your area, only those LBS that have signed up can except the voucher to redeem it . Halfrauds is one and Decathlon are another just but to name two.
All but one of the decent bike shops* in the Southampton/Winchester/Andover area are on the list - I was quite surprised as the ones I have visited recently have been really busy.
(*I don't count Halfords!)

Got myself a Nooo e-Biiike recently and have been getting accessories for it. I had to order almost everything on line since none of the LBSs had stock of what I wanted. Cleared out of all the cheaper bikes and hardly any of the vital accessories (e.g. racks and mudguards, tubeless goo and valves) left.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My guess is most will make adjustment's gear indexing, brakes etc then maybe the odd puncture fix, those with old cheap stock parts might finally be able to get rid of them. I'm pretty much cynical of the £50 fix it scheme as like a lot on here know that £50 doesn't buy much for a bike.

LSR

Jul 1, 2020
Wigan
the best lbs i know is not even taking part as it is a 3 month waiting time most of the year and they will not service sub 1k bikes anyway.
Cycling on here seems to be people spending second hand motorcycle money on ebikes.
Whoever this shop is I don't feel like applauding them.

This is not what the voucher is aimed at.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Can you give me a reference to the list, please? When I navigated to the map at https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk/Home/Map it just says there are no vouchers available.
(I don't actually want a voucher, just interested)

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
So who's broke the system then? Site crashed not long after opening. I blame Boris:D

MJS_1066

May 24, 2020
So who's broke the system then? Site crashed not long after opening. I blame Boris:D
I fell asleep before the link went live, hope I haven't missed out. Did anyone manage to get a voucher before it crashed?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The web page is down again so unitl it is up and running the map isn't accessible.
It looks more that vouchers are locked (fair enough) rather than the site is down. I would have expected to be able to see the list/map even if I couldn't get a voucher. Maybe they've put in that 'no vouchers available' as a catcher to hide the broken website, or maybe it's just slightly curious site design. Anyway, thanks.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Cycling on here seems to be people spending second hand motorcycle money on ebikes
That isn't correct, lots of folk are putting kits on older bikes for instance and there's loads of information on this if you look.

• Agree
Reactions: Gavin