10 Speed Freewheel exists!

Tarmacexpert1962

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2018
Esher
Just received a 10 speed Freewheel from China after much searching, keen to try it on my Woosh SWX02
48V which is currently fitted on a 9 speed (13 -32) Hardtail Carrera Vulcan MTB. Goal is to convert my 10 Speed Full Suspension Cube Mountain Bike with another SWX02 48V. The quality of the Freewheel appears to be very good and amazingly its an 11 -36 with the standard Shimano spread of gears. Time will tell how good it is but for just £19 with free post on ALI EXPRESS from C&D there is not much to lose. I know the CST Motors take normal cassettes etc but there is a more limited choice in those it seems.

Thought it might be useful for anyone that thinks Freewheels stop at 8/9 speed and want to convert a 10 speed. Will report on how good it is once its up and running in a few months...

PS I know its says cassette on the lock ring but this is a Freewheel IMG_0449.JPGView attachment 26836

IMG_0449.JPG View attachment 26836 View attachment 26836

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
Nice find can i ask you what the torque is like on the SWX02 ? i was going to buy one from Whoosh but they only do it with a 12Ah battery i needed bigger

Tarmacexpert1962

Apr 29, 2018
Esher
Nice find can i ask you what the torque is like on the SWX02 ? i was going to buy one from Whoosh but they only do it with a 12Ah battery i needed bigger
Torque on the SWX02 is amazing, the Woosh version is ideal for a Mountain Bike as off road it tops out at 19mph but has real grunt all the way, I run 26 inch wheels. I just used it for 3 weeks in the Alps around Chamonix and was climbing on rocky steep mountain climbs that are steep and technical, for the Alps I have retained two rings on the front Chainset with a 44T and 32T and the Granny ring (22T) has been replaced with the PAS Sensor, rear is 13 - 32. Normally in the Alps without power I would be running on 22T Granny and a 36T on the rear and grinding my way and stopping a lot. The SWX02 just demolishes Rocks and Roots that I wouldnt cope with normally, I was still working hard pedaling mind you! 12ah gives me about 30 - 35 Miles in the Surrey Hills off road with 2,500ft of climbing and keeping it on level 2 -3 and just using 4 -5 on the steeper climbs. It will easily do 45 -50 Miles on Flatter Towpath rides being sensible and less if you are blast it at levels 4/5. With the 48v you do have 576Wh so its comparable to a 36V/16AH

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
very impressive it was the range of the 12ah battery that put me off as i live in a hilly area and would like some redundancy in the battery to get me home but i did not take into consideration that the battery is 48v so as you say it compares to 36v 16ah.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just received a 10 speed Freewheel from China after much searching, keen to try it on my Woosh SWX02
48V which is currently fitted on a 9 speed (13 -32) Hardtail Carrera Vulcan MTB. Goal is to convert my 10 Speed Full Suspension Cube Mountain Bike with another SWX02 48V. The quality of the Freewheel appears to be very good and amazingly its an 11 -36 with the standard Shimano spread of gears. Time will tell how good it is but for just £19 with free post on ALI EXPRESS from C&D there is not much to lose. I know the CST Motors take normal cassettes etc but there is a more limited choice in those it seems.

Thought it might be useful for anyone that thinks Freewheels stop at 8/9 speed and want to convert a 10 speed. Will report on how good it is once its up and running in a few months...

PS I know its says cassette on the lock ring but this is a Freewheel View attachment 26835View attachment 26836

View attachment 26835 View attachment 26836 View attachment 26836
Does it fit?

The problem with those freewheels is you need +140 mm dropouts, they don't fit a 135 mm dropout.

Tarmacexpert1962

Apr 29, 2018
Esher
Does it fit?

The problem with those freewheels is you need +140 mm dropouts, they don't fit a 135 mm dropout.
Good point, might have to see if I can lever open another 5mm! otherwise its going to be a CST Hub purchase for the Cube FS. havent tried it yet so will report when I do....

Tarmacexpert1962

Apr 29, 2018
Esher
very impressive it was the range of the 12ah battery that put me off as i live in a hilly area and would like some redundancy in the battery to get me home but i did not take into consideration that the battery is 48v so as you say it compares to 36v 16ah.
Volts x Ah = Watt Hours - Lovely isnt it! I had the same concerns when looking what to do until I realised that a 48v Battery gives you 33% more than a 36V, of course there is the temptation with more oomph to welly it more :)

Reactions: Deus

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think it is 48v so equivalent to a 16Ah 36V one. (maybe still not enough?)

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
I think it is 48v so equivalent to a 16Ah 36V one. (maybe still not enough?)
my brother has just taken delivery of a Whoosh Rio MTB with 17.5 ah battery @36v he lives in the same area as me so i will see how he gets on regards range.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Good point, might have to see if I can lever open another 5mm! otherwise its going to be a CST Hub purchase for the Cube FS. havent tried it yet so will report when I do....
Do NOT try to open up an aluminium frame as it will not appreciate the attempt. DAHIKT!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
d8veh spread ali frames with no ill affect, he did it gradually with wooden blocks and wedges. Think he mentioned you have to go a bit more then you need to allow some spring back, he famously did the Xiongda 2 speed fitting which need 145mm.

Reactions: Deus

Tarmacexpert1962

Apr 29, 2018
Esher
Does it fit?

UPDATE After careful comparison and measurement of the 10 speed vs an 8 Speed I have spare its seems to be just 1mm wider but the existing fitted 9 speed freewheel is proving very hard to remove so have yet to do the acid test and actually fit it!! No doubt all that SWX02 Torque has really tightened it up!!

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Just removed a freewheel it took a new park tool a half inch socket bar 2 feet long with a 3 foot scaffold bar as an extension the hardest bit was holding the wheel still but took less effort overall

Reactions: darren haggerty

Tarmacexpert1962

Apr 29, 2018
Esher
Finally got the LBS to remove my 9 speed freewheel and fitted the new 10 speed Freewheel today, it fits the 135mm drop outs no problem at all and after checking with calipers is the same width as the 9 speed. So the swap of my Woosh 48v SWXO2 from the Carrera Vulcan Hardtail over to a Full Suspension Cube began and went very smoothly, only job remaining, is for me to fit the RH PAS Sensor so its throttle only for the moment. A quick test run in the woods proved very successful and it soaks up the terrain beautifully, total weight of the bike with battery is 21.4 KG. The wider 760mm handlebars make it much easier to fit all the Gubbins on with plenty of room for throttle and Screen. The bike has lock out levers and dropper button so a very full cockpit! The bottom bracket of this bike is a very wide BB92 and not very PAS friendly so I will replace the granny ring on the crank with the PAS sensor and machine out a much larger hole as its all quite tight, might need to up the front gearing as its a 38T Chainset but now with an 11 -36 rear its a great range for Mountain Biking. Off to the Brecon beacons Mid March and this new machine should be a dream off road. Now considering doing a mid drive Bafang on the Vulcan..... will it never endIMG_0564 (002).jpgIMG_0565 (002).jpg

Reactions: lyme and Woosh

Tarmacexpert1962

Apr 29, 2018
Esher
No identical spacing, the spacer is chrome between 9 & 10 whereas other spacers are matt black so the photo/angle and light give the impression its wider. Shifts perfectly through the whole range.