Review 1000 mile review 2018 CUBE KATHMANDU HYBRID PRO 500

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
If you are going to be going up steep hills then the extra poke of the CX would be nice.

If you are going to be going up super steep hills the ALP can't get up (15-20% plus depending on total weight and fitness) a CX would be necessary.

However if you want to cycle with the motor off then the ALP is better.

Because I just use the motor to moderate my heart rate under 150, I often go out on 2-3 hour ALP powered trips in the 30-45 km range and use less than 20% of my battery. This ease of use on the flat with the motor off, and the fact that it's more economical to start off with than the CX*, make the ALP an absolute range monster, especially if you are on tour with significant flattish sections.

Also the ALP makes no noise, whilst the CX has a noticeable whine, if that's important to you.

You should trial them both to see what the riding experience is like, and consider if the extended range of the ALP is at all important to you.

* The Bosch range calculator gives the ALP:
  • 51% range advantage in Eco mode (40% vs 50% assist)
  • 37% range advantage in Tour mode (100% vs 120% assist)
  • 25% range advantage in Sport mode (170% vs 190% assist); and
  • 20% range advantage in Turbo mode (270% vs 300% assist);
This of course ignores any mileage put in pedalling with the assist turned off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagle

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
If you are going to be going up steep hills then the extra poke of the CX would be nice.

If you are going to be going up super steep hills the ALP can't get up (15-20% plus depending on total weight and fitness) a CX would be necessary.

However if you want to cycle with the motor off then the ALP is better.

Because I just use the motor to moderate my heart rate under 150, I often go out on 2-3 hour ALP powered trips in the 30-45 km range and use less than 20% of my battery. This ease of use on the flat with the motor off, and the fact that it's more economical to start off with than the CX*, make the ALP an absolute range monster, especially if you are on tour with significant flattish sections.

Also the ALP makes no noise, whilst the CX has a noticeable whine, if that's important to you.

You should trial them both to see what the riding experience is like, and consider if the extended range of the ALP is at all important to you.

* The Bosch range calculator gives the ALP:
  • 51% range advantage in Eco mode (40% vs 50% assist)
  • 37% range advantage in Tour mode (100% vs 120% assist)
  • 25% range advantage in Sport mode (170% vs 190% assist); and
  • 20% range advantage in Turbo mode (270% vs 300% assist);
This of course ignores any mileage put in pedalling with the assist turned off.
Andy,
Thank you for that.
I am sure that this information will be extremely useful to potential ebikers who are drawing up a shortlist of bikes which may be suitable.