1000w and legal

Just Joined
Jul 31, 2017
Lancashire
Has anyone here gone through the process of making their >250w ebike road legal i.e. Getting it registered, checked for road worthiness, insured etc? If so his did you go about the process? I have 1000w bike and would love to take it out knowing I won't get in trouble. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I have 1000w bike and would love to take it out knowing I won't get in trouble. Thanks!
If legality is your motivation, you could buy a 250w bike and take it out knowing that you won't get into trouble. ;)

I initially bought a 1000w bike, which I now only use off-road and rarely. I later bought a couple of used 250w bikes, relatively cheaply compared to some others. They can both hit 20 mph and are good for fitness, fun and family bike rides around our local country park.

You don't have to keep looking over your shoulder, get registered, tested, or have insurance with 250w legal bikes.

You can see at 25 seconds that many of them can go plenty fast enough.

The 250w on the left is the one being ridden in the video above.

7.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: TZC

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I would need something fully enclosed at least to go through that myself, eg putting a big motor on this one day if it ever materialises, and I hope it does :D :

It's not straightforward to go about doing the right thing nor getting reasonable insurance, and even after you have gone through the correct motions and paid the price for it - you're still likely to gain unwanted attention - and since it's in the same category as a moped, you can no longer legally ride on trails or bike paths. I think that the rules are outdated and wrong. And they contribute to road congestion and pollution because for those who can drive or ride a moped, they may as well for less faff. And those that can't for whatever reason? They may as well continue breaking the law where ebike motor law is concerned. Let's face it that is most peoples inclination is it not.

Sorry, that hasn't helped much has it. Went on a bit of a rant. Personally I'm happy with unrestricted 250W. As long as you're considerate and responsible, avoiding making a name for yourself you can get away with about 20mph where appropriate. 30mph downhill makes me feel a bit vulnerable lol wouldn't want that to be standard.

Anyway. My advice regarding the circumstances would be don't bother and keep the speed down instead, unless you're on a nice quiet stretch ;)

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I would need something fully enclosed at least to go through that myself, eg putting a big motor on this one day if it ever materialises, and I hope it does :D :

It's not straightforward to go about doing the right thing nor getting reasonable insurance, and even after you have gone through the correct motions and paid the price for it - you're still likely to gain unwanted attention - and since it's in the same category as a moped, you can no longer legally ride on trails or bike paths. I think that the rules are outdated and wrong. And they contribute to road congestion and pollution because for those who can drive or ride a moped, they may as well for less faff. And those that can't for whatever reason? They may as well continue breaking the law where ebike motor law is concerned. Let's face it that is most peoples inclination is it not.

Sorry, that hasn't helped much has it. Went on a bit of a rant. Personally I'm happy with unrestricted 250W. As long as you're considerate and responsible, avoiding making a name for yourself you can get away with about 20mph where appropriate. 30mph downhill makes me feel a bit vulnerable lol wouldn't want that to be standard.

Anyway. My advice regarding the circumstances would be don't bother and keep the speed down instead, unless you're on a nice quiet stretch ;)
.. I would agree with the 30mph making one feel vulnerable. You can do this on most ebikes down hill and any ordinary bike downhill , but you then start thinking .. what if the brake block moves, the cables snap, the chain pops off and locks the backwheel, or I sneeze...
Others won't agree but the 15.5 limit is not silly in my opinion, good range, nice cruising speed.. if 20 were legal would I go there yes probably, but not for long..

Just Joined
Jul 31, 2017
Lancashire
Thanks for you feedback guys!

Looks like the process is far to complicated and not really worth my time and effort that I'd need to put in. And you've provided me with some clarity so thanks for that!

I have a 1000w and a 250w. I don't get much use out if the 1000w but use the 250w daily.

I'm frustrated that I'm not getting as much use out of the 1000w as I'd like to. A bit more off road time would ease my frustration..... thanks again!