1000W Conversion kit limited to 250watt Nominal Power legal?

DCUK6

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2013
Hi,

Im sure ive read something about this before but cant find it now.

Have spotted the conversion kit from xipi. Their motor is rated at 1000w but it has a electronic limiter to limit it to 250w which can be turned of for 'off road' use.

Is this legal in the UK without registering etc?

How would the torque and power compare with a 250w rated motor when its limited to 250w?

Thanks

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
According to the Department for Transport, no:

'We are aware of some electric cycles that have a switch offering a temporary increase in top speed – often advertised as an ‘off road’ facility. When the switch is pressed the vehicle can be propelled by the motor at a speed greater than 15 mph. Vehicles with this feature fitted, in our opinion, do not comply with the GB EAPC Regulations. Vehicles and riders must comply with the appropriate motor vehicle requirements i.e. registration, driver/rider licensing, insurance, use of an approved helmet etc.'

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles-in-great-britain.pdf

DCUK6

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2013
Thanks Andy

That makes it a no no for me. If its their opinion then its porbably legal otherwise they would have said but sounds dodgy

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Seems that the Dept For Transpot objects to a 'Switch' that can be 'Pressed'. You could always remove the switch, and leave the wires permanently connected/disconnected . That's how many other controllers do it. On the ones I've seen, there is a grey cable that needs to be connected for the 15 mph limited to be applied.

Mine is (of course) connected.