11 speed shimano chain ring for BBS02

Mark Lester

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2017
uk
One of my problems was that I had got a fancy pants 11 speed cassette and the special shimano chain obviously, a normal one wont hold on the cassette and will doubtless damage it. But then I realized why the chain was breaking every time i went up a decent hill, and then even getting to the end of the road. A standard chain ring will just rip it apart.
So I need the special chain ring with the alternate facing teeth, and I presume the adapter, either 4 or 5 bolts depending on the chain ring I find.
I am having trouble finding such a chain ring, I've seen a 36T which i am cert has these teeth, but I am being told and I think I need 46. There are these nice leka ones but I am worried they dont work, but I just read someones blog and he never mentioned any of this.
Is anyone running a fancy shimano 11 speed chain on a bafang mid, and if so what chain ring have you got.
PS. the clutch got gunged up again, and I then saw I had broken the eyes off the clip ring, I guess they are only really to be used once, but its leaking anyway, and i screwed the magnetic ring and hence the pedal assist, so I am getting a new crank unit, at least you can do all this without having to take the whole thing off which is an utter pain with the wires and making sure you put her back exactly where she was last time.

Mark Lester

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2017
uk
PPS, I just got a cheapy cassette so have been able to run about, but now we are down we may as well do it right, you do need a proper fat rear cassette when it goes a bit alpe d'huez.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
You have a BBS02?
You certainly don`t need an 11 speed cassette along with that thinner chain.
7 speed is more than adequate, along with an ebike KMC chain, you`ll have a narrower chain line as well, less chance of the chain coming off

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You need a spider so that you can mount whatever standard narrow wide chain ring you need. I got mine from precialps. The other choice is Alligt from the Netherlands who make chain rings for BBS0x https://www.dutchbikebits.com/alligt/alligt-chainrings-60bcd
but they only make a 43 then it jumps to 52.

An 8 speed 11-40 should be plenty with a BBS02.

Mark Lester

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2017
uk
humf, well OK then, I have a 7 speed already, i was having probs indexing the thing to get the big wheel but thats cos I am learning everything. But you are telling me this fancy pants chain wont work, and indeed I should get a proper ebike one anyway. mucho obligo. I will just get the crank then.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
One of my problems was that I had got a fancy pants 11 speed cassette and the special shimano chain obviously, a normal one wont hold on the cassette and will doubtless damage it. But then I realized why the chain was breaking every time i went up a decent hill, and then even getting to the end of the road. A standard chain ring will just rip it apart.
So I need the special chain ring with the alternate facing teeth, and I presume the adapter, either 4 or 5 bolts depending on the chain ring I find.
I am having trouble finding such a chain ring, I've seen a 36T which i am cert has these teeth, but I am being told and I think I need 46. There are these nice leka ones but I am worried they dont work, but I just read someones blog and he never mentioned any of this.
Is anyone running a fancy shimano 11 speed chain on a bafang mid, and if so what chain ring have you got.
PS. the clutch got gunged up again, and I then saw I had broken the eyes off the clip ring, I guess they are only really to be used once, but its leaking anyway, and i screwed the magnetic ring and hence the pedal assist, so I am getting a new crank unit, at least you can do all this without having to take the whole thing off which is an utter pain with the wires and making sure you put her back exactly where she was last time.
First question is the chain too short ? With the chain on the biggest rear sprocket, there should still be a noticeable S bend where the chain passes through the mech jockey wheels. With a full sus back end let the air out of the shock & check the chain tension through the full travel of the swingarm. It can vary quite a lot. The 42 tooth bling ring is probably the best all round solution, chain line spot on. With an 11- 34 eight or nine speed cassette I can comfortably ride up all the paved hills I have found in the Pendle & West Yorks area. It's pretty hilly round here ( Even the motorway is steep & cobbled !) 42x11 on 700c x35mm tyres gives 28 mph @ 90 rpm. (If you can reach that why would you want an e bike?) 8 & 9 speed Chains, cassettes & mechs are vastly less expensive than 10 & 11 speed running gear & much more durable. I am not convinced of the need for e bike specific chains.Even if they do last longer you can buy several good quality 8 or 9 speed chains for the same price.

Steve.
I can make no sense at all of your PS. I take it that it relates to another thread.

Mark Lester

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2017
uk
thanks steve. sorry about the PS, yes that was my previous adventure trying to get to the clutch. it was full of thick grease and shouldnt have been, so this crank was poorly to start with I think.
you cant run a shimano 11 speed chain on a standard chain ring. the consensus I am getting is that not only do you not want a thin chain like that, you should really get a special extra strong ebike one and stick to standard gears, 7 is enough. I dont entirely like this purely from a pimping point of view, that 11 speed cassette is a genuine piece of art work, but I've ordered a new crank and we'll go with what we've got and I'll take further counsel. I am slowly slowly, dont like going over 15mph really, even down hill I will only go at 20 if its like a runway. But I literally want to ride up the Stelvio pass on this thing if I can get it to work well enough to ride around this place a bit.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
Did you check the chain tension? When you bought your 11 speed chain & cassette did you buy an 11 speed mech & gear shifter to go with them? different speed mechs need different amounts of cable pull. When I first used my BBS02 the power delivery from standstill & starting to pedal again when moving was very snatchy, the starting settings needed turning down using a programming lead. I still don't know why you are buying a new crank! The motor should take you up the Stelvio, but if you only like to ride at 20mph on a runway, you are not going to enjoy coming back down. More runaway than runway!:eek: Sorry if everything I've said seems blindingly obvious, but the more things you eliminate the quicker you'll find the solution. The standard chain ring isn't great but it won't rip chains apart without some other problems contributing. Darren at Brighton ebikes will sell you a Lekkie Bling Ring.

Steve.

Mark Lester

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2017
uk
i am buying a new crank because it leaks grease into the clutch and i now cant get the securing clip off as both eyes came off.
a chain ring for a shimano 11 speed has alternate facing teeth. yes the entire groupset bar the crank wheel is official shimano.
I will ring darren tommorow morning.
and thanks.

Paul A

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2017
Seattle wa
Mark I’m sad to hear this doesn’t work. I have an 11 spree ultegra 6800 setup I was going to throw on my steel frame Raleigh before conversion, but it sounds like this is not a good idea. :(