12v car/boat/m.home charger for bike batteries

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi,

Whilst trawling various sites/posts trying to decide between a wisper or a kalkoff ( I know I know....they are very different ):) I like the ''off road'' option of the wisper but I think maybe the kalkoff panasonic system might have more range......especially with the new larger battery.
I have discovered that the wisper has an optional car/boat charger and as a keen motorhomer this would be very convenient whilst travelling.
My question is does this extra option come with the Kalkoff.....or even any other bikes that I maybe should be considering ?
Any help would be gratefully received.....I have been toying with a new bike for over a year now and just cannot make up my mind. ( have tried them both/liked both/preferred the wisper last year at Presteigne )
I am not technically minded so some of your posts have been a bit above my head but I am intent on learning as much as I can.
Any help please.....:confused:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I think Wisper are unique in this respect. The Kalkhoff has an optional travel charger, but it's for mains use.
Thanks Flecc........
I wonder then if my decision is going to be made FOR me......unless the raleigh dover has a car charger.......

I just wish i could make up my mind and GET something.......I just need to decide what is more important to me :confused:

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
You could just use an inverter and the bike charger and then charge from any of the 12v sources.
The Kalkhoff charger (the Raleigh Dover is exactly the same) is rated at 62W input so it would not even have to be a big inverter. :)

Last edited:

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
Hi,

Whilst trawling various sites/posts trying to decide between a wisper or a kalkoff ( I know I know....they are very different ):) I like the ''off road'' option of the wisper but I think maybe the kalkoff panasonic system might have more range......especially with the new larger battery.
I have discovered that the wisper has an optional car/boat charger and as a keen motorhomer this would be very convenient whilst travelling.
My question is does this extra option come with the Kalkoff.....or even any other bikes that I maybe should be considering ?
Any help would be gratefully received.....I have been toying with a new bike for over a year now and just cannot make up my mind. ( have tried them both/liked both/preferred the wisper last year at Presteigne )
I am not technically minded so some of your posts have been a bit above my head but I am intent on learning as much as I can.
Any help please.....:confused:
you can buy 12v to 240v inverters quite cheap.its what i use when camping. and as long as you have a decent battery in your car youve got no problems.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey...They kept that quiet:) I am a motorhomer and have 2 wispers up until now have used an inverter, but a dedicated 12v charger probably better.......

well done wisper!:p

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks guys......i Know an invertor is a possibility but a direct charger....I dont know....just seems better......no loss of power from the extra cable for a start.....
and Eddio.....amazing isnt it.....I wasnt expecting to see that when I read thru the specs for wispers !
I am still, however, dithering over which bike is best for ME and I suppose only I can decide that. I'm going to post seperately what I need from a bike and hopefullly get some opinions and hopefully some other possibilities to think about.
Thanks everyone for your input so far......you must all have unfailing patience with all us newbies begging for help :D :D

Lynda