1600 free miles :)

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
So I hit my 1800th mile today on my bike (not too shabby for 5 months of riding) and I got home after a nice 20 mile ride to plug my bike in. This is maybe the 4th time I've charged my bike at home in the time I've owned the bike. The rest I've done at work and out and about hehe!

I have no idea why but I'm a bit obsessed with trying to charge my bike for free as I've even charged it in coffee shops many times at the weekend. I know it costs next to nothing to charge my bike but I think love the idea that I'm getting free fuel or something....

I cannot be the only one who is this crazy?? maybe I am lol

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So I hit my 1800th mile today on my bike (not too shabby for 5 months of riding) and I got home after a nice 20 mile ride to plug my bike in. This is maybe the 4th time I've charged my bike at home in the time I've owned the bike. The rest I've done at work and out and about hehe!

I have no idea why but I'm a bit obsessed with trying to charge my bike for free as I've even charged it in coffee shops many times at the weekend. I know it costs next to nothing to charge my bike but I think love the idea that I'm getting free fuel or something....

I cannot be the only one who is this crazy?? maybe I am lol
You have definitely got Scottish blood!!

And so have I.....

You are stuck with it for life......

Just enjoy the FREEdom!!

Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need to be careful with your charging procedures. if you partially charge (not to full) to many times, your battery can go out of balance and lose capacity. Occasional partial charging is OK, but it's not OK to do it a lot.

Reactions: kingsknight

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
You need to be careful with your charging procedures. if you partially charge (not to full) to many times, your battery can go out of balance and lose capacity. Occasional partial charging is OK, but it's not OK to do it a lot.
at least 95% of the time this is my charge cycle. Charge till full then drain till 2 or 1 bar then recharge. On long day rides I've been known to ride to coffee shop drop one or two bars then top up at the coffee shop. normally only get one bar back while having my coffee because my charger is the super slow one!

If I'm leaving my bike for any amount of time I always drain the battery to 2 or 3 bars.

I've tried following what the sales guy told me to do. I've not completely drained the battery since owning the bike and I was told to only do that once a year. The Bosch BMS is meant to be very advance and protect the battery cells.

A bloke down the road from me has an old Bosch classic motor ( i think he said his ebike was 7 years old) and he is running on the battery it come with. To be fair the bike has only done 2300 miles and I've got no idea what the range is like as I've not asked!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
It is great to get free battery charges, but in reality the cost of charging the battery is negligible, it is the cost of a replacement battery that is the main cost of keeping our beloved ebikes on the road.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
When one has used one’s e-bike for so many miles the cost of replacement cells becomes expected and tollerable, similarly if one buys a good but aged used bike one is normally willing to foot the bill for quality replacement cells as I did in January - bit like buying a car then exhausting its fuel, one usually refills it in preference to buying a new one.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: kingsknight

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Lol, coffee shop, £2.50 for a flat white, 10p for a full charge up at home, made me giggle