17Ah vs 11 Ah battety

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
Hi guys, I recently acquired a focus throne 2015 model and the previous owner told me there was a problem with the battery, but the dealer had a replacement waiting. Went to the dealer and they put a new 17Ah battery instead of the 11Ah one it had... Yey!!!
The (impulse 2 ) motor feels different now, smoother and more powerful... Is it my imagination? Is it the more powerful battery, or is it so.e new software?

There is still 1 year warranty so I plan to ride it long, fast and rough. If I have a problem with the impulse, might as well be within warranty period...

By the way, I told the dealer I was a bit concerned about the impulse 2, and he said he only had one problem yet. He also said he had seen one impulse 2 with 800.000 km on it... (That's about 500k miles). Sounds weird, but he said it... He also talked about Yamaha motors not being reliable.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think that's physically impossible. 500,000 miles would be 100,000 miles per year since the impulse 2 has existed. That's 274 miles a day for every day that it's existed. At a realistic average speed of 12 mph, it would have to be ridden 23 hours a day - no holidays, no weekends free, no sleep for 5 years. I can't see that one! It would also, therefore, cast doubt on anything else he said.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Divide distance by ten or you have a sales person who should be in politics! :rolleyes:

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
Ok guys please ignore that bit then. My question was:

Went to the dealer and they put a new 17Ah battery instead of the 11Ah one it had... Yey!!!
The (impulse 2 ) motor feels different now, smoother and more powerful... Is it my imagination? Is it the more powerful battery, or is it new software?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it has had an SW upgrade then more then likely that, the 17ah battery though will hold top end voltage longer with a 54% increase in capacity.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes more Ah is better than less Ah. But more constant discharge Amps to the controller is what you are feeling - a 17 Ah battery made with 10 A constant discharge cells (Samsung 35E) will feel better than an 11 Ah battery made from 4.4 A constant discharge cells (Samsung 22F) if they are both 5P10S.

D

Deleted member 4366

How a hattery behaves depends on two main characteristics: Firstly, the number of cells inside it, and secondy the type of cells in it. The individual cell types have characeristics that affect how much power they can give, how long they live, weight, capacity and price.

If there was a comparison between two batteries with the same type of cells, but different numbers of them, the capacity (ah) would be proportional to the number of cells and the one with the most cells would make the motor appear more powerful because its voltage would always be higher and there would be less voltage sag.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Different explanation but fundamentally the same as d8veh.
All battery cells have an internal resistance. .. the smaller the better. As a cell ages,it loses bits of its active material, and its capacity drops and its internal resistance increases.
A 17 ah battery will have more cells in parallel than the 11ah one, so even if they of the same internal resistance, the current through each less is less and therefore less internal voltage drop... Its a win win the cells are fresh, and the draw per cell is less.
There is now a third win.. because the cells are less loaded, they will age slower...