18650 battery box for front light

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Finally found a 4x18650 battery holder for CREE front lights which doesn't fall apart. The cloth ones with sewn-on velcro straps for the 4-cell packs are absolutely useless - had the straps rip off 3 already and I don't use them much ! Battery pack holders falling apart just makes the lights themselves (otherwise very good value) practically useless especially if you don't possess a sewing machine !.

Got this on e-bay - you insert the 4 rechargeable cells individually (broke up the pack which came with latest light) and screw down the lid. Plus it's IPx4 waterproof so no problem if you get caught out in a downpour. There's also a USB charging connection for mobile phone if you want to use it for that. Only thing I haven't worked out how to do is get a plug in rubber cap or something for the USB connector when not in use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371310143867?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Upside is definitely that the velcro strap just slots through the moulded box and therefore can't rip off the battery pack housing, so very secure and much more robust. Downside is the cells have to be removed to charge so the set-up cost is higher - I use a Nitecore 4-cell balance charger.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NITECORE-D4-Digicharger-18650-18350-16340-14500-10400-AA-Li-ion-Ni-MH-Charger-/272040782334?

The light connector is the (much improved) new-style one with screw on fitting and it works with this, which I fitted to my regular bike and is decent enough for that :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271686242545?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=570523120564&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Just thought I'd share - got so fed up with rubbish battery pack holders falling apart I spent ages looking and assembling a setup which actually worked and wouldn't fall apart so easily !

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I started with using single cells in a pack and removing them to charge but fairly swiftly simply bought a Magicshine pack and charger for my lights. I needed to charge them every day for my commute and it was simply too much hassle to take the cells out every day. The commercial pack has worked impeccably for 3 years or so, but now I'm on an ebike I've wired in a voltage converter to run the lights off the main battery pack.

Michael

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That does look a nice neat and tidy method. :)

I use six cell battery packs, and use a cable tie to secure the battery pack to the frame.

I figured that if a cable tie is good enough to hold Haibike suspension together, then it's good enough to secure a battery pack.:D

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I just went out and bought a B+M headlight. Seeing how much a Cree + battery pack + gadget du jour cost when all added up I think I got a good deal for a light that lights up the road enough so that oncoming cars dip their lights before they see me... :D

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Oh damn I am starting to sound like that smart bike person sorry!!! :rolleyes:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I have lights wired in on my self-built eBike, but not the other as don't want to "mod" it and use very rarely - it has a B&M dynamo front light as standard anyway but it's very weak in comparison to a tilted-down CREE.

I started with using single cells in a pack and removing them to charge but fairly swiftly simply bought a Magicshine pack and charger for my lights. I needed to charge them every day for my commute and it was simply too much hassle to take the cells out every day. The commercial pack has worked impeccably for 3 years or so, but now I'm on an ebike I've wired in a voltage converter to run the lights off the main battery pack.

Michael
I bought a magicshine pack a good while ago and the fastenings on that broke too. The current packs look much better - seems they have changed the design so it's much more like the one in the link above but with integrated charger connection and straps. I know what you mean about taking the cells out, but to be honest it's much more of a hasstle if the fastenings break !

I use six cell battery packs, and use a cable tie to secure the battery pack to the frame.

I figured that if a cable tie is good enough to hold Haibike suspension together, then it's good enough to secure a battery pack.:D
Do you charge it on the bike, or use a new cable tie every time you take it off to charge ? Would drive me nuts cutting it free every time you charge !

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm a big fan of the humble 18650. I obtained a whole load from old laptop batteries and made a few packs up for various jobs.

4 in a old battery drill pack, 4 in my DAB radio, 4 in my mega torch (with 6 Cree T6's), 3 in an old handheld marine VHF, singles in those little phone chargers, and a few spares for general use.

Very useful things.

nigel610

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 13, 2015
Use reusable cable ties they are pretty good for things on bikes you can join them together