1961 motocomfort mobylette

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi all,

OK not really ebike exactky but I recall there are experts here so hope this is ok

I've been offered a 1961 motocomfort mobylette. Working condition, heavily rusted /patina but solid and true frame. Wheels also though tyres are knackered

Any idea what it's worth as a fair price. It's a whim purchase if I do..... I just love the look of the thing

Attachments

D

Deleted member 25121

It would certainly be an interesting project, one downside though is that you'd need to tax and insure it.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
It could be worth £200 or so, worth making a bid, those machines usually came with a Sachs 50cc engine.
Good luck

Jim

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Certainly won`t go down in value , so buy it . I`m pretty sure they were made by Motobecane which became part of Yamaha . EBIKER 99 I don`t think you have to tax and MOT machines of that age , only insure .

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99
D

Deleted member 25121

Certainly won`t go down in value , so buy it . I`m pretty sure they were made by Motobecane which became part of Yamaha . EBIKER 99 I don`t think you have to tax and MOT machines of that age , only insure .
Good point there, it's over 40 years old.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Well spotted Peter , Raleigh made them under licence from Motobecane . Google Motobecane and Wikipedia have the full story .

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
My first ever motorised build;) it arrived as I non runner in two tea chests and a heap of bits 45+ odd years ago, the lawn in the back garden was gone in a week:p pedal to start then drop off the centre stand:eek:
ps . if i remember the top speed was about 15.5 mph

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Go for it Kirstin to good to refuse esp as a runner, give it a sympathetic restoration with just a good clean with an oiled/paraffin rag and some new tyres.
Something like that will/should keep it's value all day long.

D

Deleted member 25121

I want it,, please let me know if you don't buy it.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I had one in 1960
Dreadful machine, badly under-powered compared with NSU Quickly, no gears, so called automatic clutch which meant that you had to pedal it up to 4 mph before the clutch would engage, rear light was tiny and did not comply with UK law.

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
I assume it's been off the road for many years, (check the number on DVLA website) if so, you'll have to factor in £55 for registration and £30 for dating certificate. The 'Buzzing club' may be able to help.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I don't have to tax or MOT my Norton Commando 850 MK2a, although it did cost me a couple of grand to buy a few years ago. Lots of fun though and lovely to ride. I believe that something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it but the values appeared to have risen a lot from what I paid, certainly more than cash savings accounts. So Kirstin I would go ahead an buy.
Anglesey Boys Trip 057.JPG
Picture taken from a trip to Anglesey from my home base in Surrey.

Quite fast for an old thing and handles very well and of course looks wonderful, sounds wonderful and smells wonderful and manages close to 70 to the gallon. What is not to love. Tickle that carb!

I had a chance to buy one when I was 19 for £600, that's inflation for you.

I bought a Yam Rd400F instead. The impetuosity of youth! Lucky to survive that phase.

Last edited:

johnc46

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2010
I have a Mobylette and 2 nsu Quicklies loking at the bike they are selling on ebay for around £400

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Good little bike the NSU Quickly, remember them well but never had enough money to buy one .
Now I have my Sunbeam S8 that I’ve owned for 50+ years but it’s getting too heavy for me at 82 after couple of heart attacks and 9 stents.

Jim

johnc46

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2010
I have a BSA Bantam also and that is too heavy for me now dodgy knee and back probs and I am only a 74 year old youngster. Keep going Jim.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All slightly going off track form Kirstin's Op, start anew thread if you want to reminisce and show pics of your classic bikes.