Woosh 1st 1000 miles

davetez

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2019
York UK
1st 1000 miles completed today riding a Cube Touring Hybrid One 500
Been fantastic, really enjoyed being out on it. No major disasters, no flats (not sure I should have mentioned that, will probs get one now) only failures being chain which snapped at approx 750m (only had to walk about 2 miles home phew! ) (now upgraded to KMC E9 EPT 9 Speed E-Bike Chain)
& front lamp bracket snapped due to it being a poor design/construction & just failed on a poorly surfaced road (replaced foc by dealer)
done 1 or 2 mods, shorter stem with a stem raiser to reduce pressure on hands, 2nd set of grips (couldn’t get on with the Ergon GP1s, have reverted to Cube Foam grips. 3rd saddle, tried a Selle SMP TRK & now on a squidgy Respiro Relaxed. Only generally use it for pleasure rides (about 30miles is usually my max)
usually ride in “Sport” & find battery range good for 2x 25 mile rides between charges.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
1st 1000 miles completed today riding a Cube Touring Hybrid One 500
Been fantastic, really enjoyed being out on it. No major disasters, no flats (not sure I should have mentioned that, will probs get one now) only failures being chain which snapped at approx 750m (only had to walk about 2 miles home phew! ) (now upgraded to KMC E9 EPT 9 Speed E-Bike Chain)
& front lamp bracket snapped due to it being a poor design/construction & just failed on a poorly surfaced road (replaced foc by dealer)
done 1 or 2 mods, shorter stem with a stem raiser to reduce pressure on hands, 2nd set of grips (couldn’t get on with the Ergon GP1s, have reverted to Cube Foam grips. 3rd saddle, tried a Selle SMP TRK & now on a squidgy Respiro Relaxed. Only generally use it for pleasure rides (about 30miles is usually my max)
usually ride in “Sport” & find battery range good for 2x 25 mile rides between charges.
Chain snapping at 750 miles, that is very, very early for any mid motor bike, even though it is one of the "expected" problems..
Plus its exactly the failure that many mid motor bikers here tell us all (and get pissed at me for mentioning it) "never ever happens!"
Well apparently it does happen occasionally....
I am sorry that it had to happen, but I would like to thank you most kindly for telling us all exactly what really took place.
At least you were fairly close to home.
regards
Andy

davetez

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2019
York UK
I think the lesson I learned the hard way was pay more attention to your chain’s condition, clean it, lube it, take note of how the transmission shifts, noise etc.
mine had started to become troublesome, often skipping a tooth, & would randomly self shift to a higher gear!
after watching 100 YouTube videos on the art of derailleur adjustment & getting nowhere fast, I decided to book my bike in for a service & let them sort it for me.
Thinking the chain had stretched, I suggested this to the guy in the cycle shop who measured the chain & declared it fit for purpose! Ironically it was while cycling home from the shop that it snapped. A new chain from Wiggle online transformed the bike “like a new one” again.
Examining the failed chain revealed a single seized link which had caused the problems. It snapped as I was taking a shortcut up a rather steep banking.
The previous day had ridden 28 miles so potentially could have been a 14 mile walk home instead of just 2.
You win some................

Reactions: Andy-Mat

ColinJTod

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Todmorden
The previous day had ridden 28 miles so potentially could have been a 14 mile walk home instead of just 2.
Buy yourself a chain tool and repair the chain if you have that problem again!

I carry a few quick links and a spare length of chain as well as the tool, so I can cope with most such problems.

I actually once broke a chain myself about 14 miles from home, but I fixed it and was riding again in less than 10 minutes.

I have repaired chains for 5 or 6 other riders out on the road over the years. One rider (a complete stranger who I spotted looking lost with an oily chain in his hand!) was doing the same organised ride as me and treated me to lunch afterwards to thank me for saving the day. We did the rest of the ride together. I bumped into him on the same event a year later and jokingly asked him if he had bought a chain tool. He smiled and showed me that he had bought the same tool that I use, and told me that he had even been practising using it on a length of old chain at home.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I always carry a spare, a splitter and short 6" chain length.

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Yes, basic first aid stuff to have around.
> Keep the chain wear gauge in the bike shed and periodically use it to monitor 'chain stretch' - the gauge is a simple GO/NO GO device - change your chain as soon as the lower level of wear is noted - in this way you'll reduce wear on the rear sprockates and font chain ring (both pricey items to replace) and minimise the risk of chain breakage. (The chain doesn't really stretch BTW, but the roller bearings between each link do wear down giving the appearance/effect of 'chain stretch')
> Carry the chain splitter tool along with a 'quick link' or 'missing link' as KMC call them. You'll need the splitter tool to separate out the broken link before re-joining the chain with the 'quick link'
> Also carry some vinyl disposable gloves - 'cos chains are messy things :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't own a CWG or ever used one occasionally I might use a steel rule to measure the links center to center but if I get no trouble riding it stays on till it breaks or an issue arises.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I don't own a CWG or ever used one occasionally I might use a steel rule to measure the links center to center but if I get no trouble riding it stays on till it breaks or an issue arises.
Fair enough and each to their own. The 'steel rule' method is the traditional way of observing chain wear but you have to have a steel rule with 1" graduations and know about chain pitch. The wear gauge takes all that messing about away and provides a very quick estimate of chain condition.

By all means ride until issues arise but as I often cycle many miles from home, I'd rather avoid the issues in the first instance.

I have a friend who has the same approach as your goodself and when he came to me to ask why he was having gear changing problems (triple front chainrings, 9sp sprockets), his chain was so badly worn that it had also worn the sprockets and chainrings, so instead of pay £15 for a new chain he also had to find more than £100 for the new sprockets and chainrings.

But as I say, each to there own.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can use metric as well as imperial to check chain stretch.
I also ride many miles from home and often anywhere up to 160km for a day ride.
No had any issues yet with drive slipping or indexing, maintenance is key and every one has there own system.

Spitz

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2020
One other thought davetez, Sport is the 3rd highest setting on the bike and as a result will be putting a lot of torque into your drivetrain when you set off. Have you tried starting in eco and then moving up to sport as the need arises?