1st ebike Cube Hybrid or Haibike Sduro?

Ed.

Just Joined
Jun 8, 2020
I’m 31 years old, 1.86m (92kg) fairly fit guy, researching to get my first ebike and seem to be drawn to the following 2 options:

Cube Reaction Hybrid EXC 500
Haibike Sduro HardNine 5.0

I plan to use the bike for leisure, riding the local trails nearby 2-3 times per week.

One of my concerns is I read a lot or users complain about some noise issue of Bosh CX Gen 4 engine (Cube). Would this engine outperform the Yamaha PW (Haibike). What would your preference be?

Im not limited to these 2 bikes, so other options are welcome in the price range of £2000-2800

Thanks.

Lee5005

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2020
Margate Kent
Hi, I'm looking for a bike for the same kinda reasons, i have a post further down.

Today I test rode the Hardnine 4 and the Cube, amazing coincidence, and to be honest both are wonderful.
You won't go wrong with either one.

BruceThomas

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2020
Hi, have you thought about converting a bike yourself? I have just converted a 2020 cube aim pro with a 750w bafang mid drive at a total cost of 1300 pound. The kit fit like a dream, no issues at all and chain line is perfect. I get 29mph on a flat no peddling and I weigh 14stone. Just something for you to think about, it's half the price and twice the fun.

Reactions: RobN

Lee5005

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2020
Margate Kent
Hi, have you thought about converting a bike yourself? I have just converted a 2020 cube aim pro with a 750w bafang mid drive at a total cost of 1300 pound. The kit fit like a dream, no issues at all and chain line is perfect. I get 29mph on a flat no peddling and I weigh 14stone. Just something for you to think about, it's half the price and twice the fun.

Hi Bruce, was £1,300 including the cost of the bike or just the kit ?
Did you fit brake sensors and gear change sensors, were they easy ?

Thanks

BruceThomas

Jun 10, 2020
The whole bike complete was 1300. The bike brand new was only 450 pound. The reason I got it was because it is one a few bikes to have hydraulic disc brakes at that price point. I have got brake sensors but to be honest I haven't installed them I don't feel I need them because the motor stops running as soon as you stop peddling anyway. As for gear changer, I haven't installed one of them either. I just stop peddling then change gear. I don't think it's worth the extra 100 odd pound for the changer. Only thing is that it doesn't look as nice as a bike which has been fully engineered from day one to be an e bike. I have attached a picture. The cable ties around the battery will be gone as soon as my rivnut gun arrives to hold my battery on as currently there is only one bolt holding battery mount on.

Attachments

Lee5005

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2020
Margate Kent
The whole bike complete was 1300. The bike brand new was only 450 pound. The reason I got it was because it is one a few bikes to have hydraulic disc brakes at that price point. I have got brake sensors but to be honest I haven't installed them I don't feel I need them because the motor stops running as soon as you stop peddling anyway. As for gear changer, I haven't installed one of them either. I just stop peddling then change gear. I don't think it's worth the extra 100 odd pound for the changer. Only thing is that it doesn't look as nice as a bike which has been fully engineered from day one to be an e bike. I have attached a picture. The cable ties around the battery will be gone as soon as my rivnut gun arrives to hold my battery on as currently there is only one bolt holding battery mount on.
Nice build, that looks really good.
Is one of those cases the speed controller?

I guess without those sensors far less wires to worry about.

BruceThomas

Jun 10, 2020
The controller is built in to the motor so I just use them bags for storage. Yes, exactly, less wires and less potential problems. Store bought ebikes are under powered and over priced for what you get in my opinion when you can convert in a few hours.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

Lee5005

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2020
Margate Kent
The controller is built in to the motor so I just use them bags for storage. Yes, exactly, less wires and less potential problems. Store bought ebikes are under powered and over priced for what you get in my opinion when you can convert in a few hours.
I was looking at store bought, but now have to wait, work, money and covid combo.
But I'm now tempted by a self build again, I currently ride a 2012 VooDoo HooDoo hard tail which I could convert.

Have you links please to what you bought?

Reactions: Bernie the bolt

BruceThomas

Jun 10, 2020
I bought battery and mid drive kit from psw power.com. It came within a week of placing the order. I have seen conversions on voodoo bikes and there doesn't seem to be any issues converting them so the option is there for you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Store bought ebikes are under powered and over priced for what you get in my opinion when you can convert in a few hours.
The difference is most use legal motor power and don't need registering a moped to use on the road also they can be ridden on bike trails etc,etc.

Your illegal one is ok until you hurt someone or have a accident.

It doesn't bother me you choose to go illegal but slagging off legit powered ebikes to say they have no powers is b*ll***s.

BruceThomas

Jun 10, 2020
Because the power is there doesn't mean it needs to be used. I have a car that goes over 150mph, but I don't drive around at 150mph. There is also a 250w mode for on road use. As for store bought being under powered, 250w and 15mph is hugely under powered. The only time I would consider ever buying a properly engineered store bought e bike is if I was doing stunts on a bike, which I don't, in which case my cheap 1300 pound bike trumps all store bought bikes for the purpose I use it for. Store BOUGHT Are UNDERPOWERED AND OVERPRICED.

Reactions: budsy

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Store BOUGHT Are UNDERPOWERED AND OVERPRICED.
What a pathetic statement , your bike is totally illegal and it is no use bleating store bikes are underpowered and overpriced in a childish attempt to justify your actions, you could have chose to buy a legal kit to build your own ebike .

• Dislike

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Sorry m8 the laws are in place to produce a level playing field for Everyone,regardless. Bicycles are a mode of transportation that has been revolutionised by the addition of battery driven motors. Making the mode of transport accessible to people who are either to unfit or physically impaired that could not otherwise cycle a conventional bicycle. 15.5 mph is perfectly acceptable as a limit on assistance, quickly accessed by light rotations of the Pedals. This must remain universal in the uk , otherwise where does it end honestly 20mph or 30mph, how about 40mph sounds great fun. NO NO NO suck it up, select a higher gear and pedal as hard as you can this will take you to the speeds you seem to enjoy. Or purchase a scooter or motorcycle along with tax,license and insurance etc.

BruceThomas

Jun 10, 2020
So peddling up to xxx speed is safe, but assisted is unsafe? Please elaborate? Either a speed is safe or it is not, its not the best of both worlds. Most on here are hypocrites anyway, as you are quick enough to say something is illegal whilst having illegal bikes yourselves. When brexit happens and we align with usa bike laws, all your tunes will change and a 750w will be the best thing since sliced bread.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We already have statute UK/EU laws passed in parliament we will not be going down the USA route as there laws all differ from state to state.
Simply put folks want a bike in the guise of a moped without the licensing that goes with it, albeit hard to get one licensed and insured.
All my bikes can be ridden above 25kmh/h unassisted.

The issue with the speed is most other road users will only link it to roadies in lycra and do not expect most bikes to be going fast.

BruceThomas

Jun 10, 2020
I totally agree with you on other road users judging your speed and not expecting a mountain bike to be going the same speed as a moped. The solution is don't drive a bike like a motorbike on the road, but when the opportunity arises and you are on private land you can then open it up. Tbh I ride a lot with people without an e bike and I have it in assist level 1 (which is 150w) in my 2nd gear and it only assists me up to 7-8mph. Im not here to argue but I like to have the option of speed if I choose to safely, and at a price point which is half as much as a cheap ebike with atleast 3x the power and prob also 4x the range its a no brainer, albeit it doesn't look as good and that is the only thing I can see going against that cube build versus a properly engineered specific ebike. Each to their own, but I see you also ride an illegal ebike? Be it only over by 100w, illegal is illegal my friend. Maybe practice what you preech. Anyway, like I said, I'm not here to argue, you have a nice day, stay safe.