2 Year, 8000 mile Review of Kalkhoff Pro-Connect

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
After fitting the new chain and sprockets I still have noise when pedalling especially on the left pedal. I noticed that the new chain-sprocket (pedal end) has radiused teeth whereas the original has sharp pointed teeth. Can someone tell me which is correct?
Can you remember if the original had a radius on the teeth when it was new? It may be that the one you are calling the original did have the radius, but the teeth have now worn to a point.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I use the SRAM PC1 1/8" chain but, more importantly as you pointed out, I use the KMC Universal Connector 1/8" Chain Link (both from Evans). The latter is a 3 component link where the locking link does not go all the way around (the ends are about 1 mm apart). This allows me to see where the link is and it can be dissambled in seconds using a thin-nose pair of pliers. I then use a small flat bladed screw driver to push the locking link back on.

I have to admit that, initially, I was scared that the link might come flying off at any time (and carry a spare) but it has not done so for 2, almost 3 thousand miles. In fact, I've never had any kind of problem with the link at all.

Also, when I exchange the chain, I use a toothbrush and white spirit to clean the cogs (this is what takes the bulk of the 45 minutes). The incoming chain obviously also needs to be oiled.
Can someone tell me what chain to use on a 2 year old Proconnect?

I have been on the website for SJS but there is a lot of different chains but no PC1.