2 years on with the TSDZ2....

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
oh.. that was painful...
Thank you for doing the test and the video.
It can't be easy to do both at the same time.
I've asked Andy to give you a call later to sort out the blue gear.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
oh.. that was painful...
Thank you for doing the test and the video.
It can't be easy to do both at the same time.
I've asked Andy to give you a call later to sort out the blue gear.
Hope you had a good belly laugh at my expense.....

Reactions: Bikes4two

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would never do that. You are our customer.
It's difficult to diagnose correctly a clunking noise from a few seconds of video compared to diagnosing other faults because of the long list of possible causes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hope you had a good belly laugh at my expense.....
Why?
It posts like this and hopefully later a conclusion with sorting it out that will be of use to others with a similar issue.
New issues that arise have to start with someone having a problem, I expect on ES there may be a massive thread with your issue but it is a case of wading through start to finish to find a fix.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Why?
It posts like this and hopefully later a conclusion with sorting it out that will be of use to others with a similar issue.
New issues that arise have to start with someone having a problem, I expect on ES there may be a massive thread with your issue but it is a case of wading through start to finish to find a fix.
Neal It's just comical to me watching it-the 17-year-old in my head watches the silly old fart in a 70 year-old body huffing and puffing up a hill trying in vain to get started-maybe I just have a warped sense of humour!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am not sure that the clunking noise comes from the motor because it happens even when the OP is riding on a flat road, without power.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Chatting to Andy earlier, he says it could well be the rear wheel hub as I told him I think the noise seems to be coming from behind me. I can also feel it through my backside on the seat post. When the rain finally stops here in sunny Bournemouth/Poole I'll pull the wheel off and investigate, maybe take it to the bike shop.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you have another rear wheel, it's worth to give it a try.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Did you see this:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That shouldn't happen, the chainring shouldn't touch the plastic case.
I suppose it's worth taking a look behind the chainring.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
if you have another rear wheel, it's worth to give it a try.
No I don't. Unfortunately the chap who runs the charity cycle shop "Hope to Cycle" (where I bought the reconditioned bike)has just had an operation on his hand and the shop will be shut for 6 weeks.
I will pull it off and maybe take it to another bike shop see what they have to say about it.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Found the cause of the clunk. I took my rear wheel off and gave it to another bike shop after Andy/Tony at Whoosh checked my TSDZ2 motor out in their workshop and announced it was ok. The mechanic discovered the axle was eccentric. When he spun the wheel it became obvious that was the issue. He replaced the axle and my bike is once again like new.

Reactions: Woosh

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • Well done @vidtek for getting to the bottom of the clunking noise which turned out to be nothing to do with the TSDZ2 after all.
  • As a new TSDZ2 owner I was drawn to your post by the title and until the very end of the thread I was wondering about the durability of the motor, but any reservations I was having were of course unfounded
  • Maybe for the sake of others like myself you could (a) edit the initial post to clarify that the clunk wasn't anything to do with the motor, and (b) once you've recovered your puff, finish off your review.
Cheers, B4t

PS - hats off to all at @Woosh for customer service.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
BTW, a new batch of TSDZ2 should arrive in February.
It takes a long time to get anything out of China.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
BTW, a new batch of TSDZ2 should arrive in February.
It takes a long time to get anything out of China.
Heck, that's a hell of a wait - I was beginning to wonder if you'd dropped the TSDZ2 from your product line.

Anyway whilst you're there .......... you've probably noticed that loosening cranks on the TSDZ2 is not an uncommon report on this forum - is this something you've come across in your experiences with them?

The installation manual says tighten to 40nm but most folks probably don't have a torque wrench nor tool bit for the job - do you have any particular tips for keeping the little beggars tight?

Many thanks B4t

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the left crank will always gets loosened much more easily than the drive side crank because of the torsion through the bottom bracket shaft.
Just make sure that you use a long handle 8mm to tighten it and do it well.
I use this economical but reasonably good tool from Icetoolz:
If it keeps loosened, you may have to buy a new crank.