20" fold up Hopper electric bike power selector broken

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
I have 20" wheel Hopper 24v electric bike which has served me very well for the last 4 years particularly during the Pandemic. I am 76 years of age but have managed to get out for my usual 10 miles a day ride.

Unfortunately whist stopping for a brief rest my bike fell over and broke the power selector/indicator. I have been looking everywhere on the internet for a replacement but I am finding it difficult to understand which one I should buy.

The broken one only has 1 red wire and one black wire but all of the ones I have seen have many more.

My exercise is really important to me and I would very much appreciate any guidance offered, and where to get one from.

I have attached a photograph of the broken one and the one on my wife's bike.

Thank you, fingers crossed.

I have just checked the wiring on the broken battery/power indicator there is in fact 4 wires, green, red, blue and black

Attachments

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
4 wires makes it an analogue panel so one should be able to use any 3 speed 4 wire similar panel, unlike 5 wire digital models it doesn't rely on Rx/Tx comm's to ensure compatibility.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you twist the red and blue wires together, the bike will work without the control panel, but you only get level 1 pedal assist. You can do that while you wait for your new panel if you need to use the bike.

There are several versions of these panels, but they all work the same as long as they have 4 wires. The only thing you have to look out for if you want an exact match is the connector. Some have the long lead with a flat 4-pin connector, some the long wire with two flat 2-pin connectors, some have just the bare wires and some have a short lead with a round 4-pin connector. You can always cut the lead off both your old and new ones and swap them over by soldering the wires together and putting dome heatshrink over them.

You can get 24v, 36v and 48v ones, so obviously you need the right one in that respect. The difference is the battery indicator LEDs. If you got a 36v one it would show a flat battery all the time.

The 790 one in the link above should work. Just leave the lights connector disconnected.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
Thank you all so much for replying so quickly. I can seem to find where the connector is, it disappears into the frame along with all other wires, so what I was going to do was cut the wires of the broken one near the handle bars reconnect the new one and heatshrink them would that be ok.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: gsm.terra

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The connector/s is/are in the compartment under the battery. You have to tale the sides off, which is a bit fiddly because of all the small screws. There are two bigger screws that hold the sides to the metal frame and about 4 or 5 smaller ones that hold the two halves together. You only need to take one side off.

If you're used to soldering, it's probably a lot quicker and easier to cut and join the wires in the bit between the control panel and the frame.

On the other hand, there's probably a throttle connector in that compartment, so if you don't have a throttle, it's a good chance to get one and fit it while you have access.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
Thank you again everyone, I am going to order the 810 and decide how I am going to fix it after it arrives. In the meantime whilst I have been looking at the damaged one I noticed that there is a cable coming out of the brake lever with a red wire and black wire, it goes to the rear brake. The brake seems to be working ok so is this cable important and should I also replace that, the wire is very thin. This must have happened when the bike fell over, its on the same side as the battery indicator/controller

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You only need one brake switch, so if the other lever has an electrical cable coming out of it, you don't need to fix the broken one, though it will be a good idea to disconnect it when you get to the controller, unless both brakes are spliced onto the same connector.

If you need to fix it, all you need to do is solder the wires together and put heatshrink on. If you can't do that, you can twist the wires together (colour to colour) and cover them with insulating tape.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
You only need one brake switch, so if the other lever has an electrical cable coming out of it, you don't need to fix the broken one, though it will be a good idea to disconnect it when you get to the controller, unless both brakes are spliced onto the same connector.

If you need to fix it, all you need to do is solder the wires together and put heatshrink on. If you can't do that, you can twist the wires together (colour to colour) and cover them with insulating tape.
Ok thank you for that helpful reply, I will have a go at that tomorrow and let you know how I get on. I am so happy that I will taking my good lady out for constitutional bike ride and who knows, the broken battery indicator still works most of the time, we may stop for a glass of orange juice whilst forever we can, the thought of another lockdown would be so depressing.