20 inch Tyres...

Cat20

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2020
Last night I attended a MS Teams class about fixing a puncture. It made me realise that the combination of my poor dexterity (arthritic hands), the weight of the bike, and my complete terror at taking the wheels off (disc brakes, the motor hub) is not a great recipe for easy puncture repair!

I suspect schwalbe marathon plus tyres or similar may be the best idea. The question is, how do I know which to order?! I have a folding Seago CityLite pro with 20 inch wheels. The current tyres are Kenda, I think a basic model. They are labelled “50-406”, “20x1.95” and “K935-001”. As far as I can work out this means the various schwalbe marathon plus 20 inch tyres won’t fit as they are 20x1.35 and 20x1.75 - is that right? Can anyone suggest options that would fit?

Thanks ☺

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I have interchanged 1.95" and 1.75" on my 20" folding bikes with no problems, including my earlier Seago ePower. Schwalbe Marathon are probably also worth a look although not quite as tough as the Plus version.

Following multiple finger fractures, my fingers are quite weak and I dread a puncture. I found the original tyres very unwieldy but the Schwalbes, although still stiff, were more flexible.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A 20 x 1.75 will be fine.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The 406 is important, but you can choose the width. Anything from 30 upwards would be OK. The bigger, the more comfortable.

You don't need to take the wheel off to fix a puncture. That's what you do when there's no motor in the wheel. For a motor wheel. turn the bike upside down, pull the tyre off one side, drag the tube out, patch it, remove whatever caused the puncture and reassemble. It's very quick and easy.