20" wheel kits

Poeliii

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 14, 2014
Hi all,

I have currently an ebike with an 180W engine and 36V battery, giving me a max speed of 25kmh with assisted pedalling. Now in the near future I have to cycle 15km, and have to do it in around half an hour (commute with taking my bike on the bus folded). So I want to upgrade my bike to make it go around 30kmh (I dont want an overkill and go like 45, but a max of 40 would be decent- though I would not drive at max constantly).
As i also have to take the bus or train, I'd like to keep the folding bike thing, it is a very decent frame, but I guess I'd need to replace the motor/controller and battery. Does anyone has tips on what kind of motor would be needed for my goal combined with a battery? Being able to do 40-50km on a charge would be nice. I had been looking at a 750W motor, but seeing what my 180W already delivers, it seems to be an overkill.
Any links to a complete kit (motor battery and controller) which might fit?

Thanks for the help and much fun building you all!
P

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
if you need to take the bus... you better just upgrade the bike and not use the bus at all.

My bike has always been faster than bus in city.

how far is your commute by bike only?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
On my bike, I do 12 miles commute each way every day:

About 40 mn to do that.

D

Deleted member 4366

A 36v Q100H will do about 24 mph with a 48v battery. BMSBattery do a 48v 11.6ah rack battery with a 18 amp sinewave controller that should be perfect or what you want.

Reactions: cwah

Poeliii

Sep 14, 2014
The total distance is around 40km, so a bit much to do all by bike i think. I'll check what you said D8veh! Any good site where i can check prices and where i can buy this?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
40km is lots of distance.. how long does it take you to commute?

Poeliii

Sep 14, 2014
Now I have to go by car but I wanna go by bus and bike, thats why I asked the question. Not planning to do the whole trip by bike, only a part. I have to bike from my home to the train station (5km), fold it, bus for half an hour and bike again for half an hour. Thats why I want an electric bike which goes a bit faster. By car it takes me the same time, only driving and not being able to read on the bus.

D

Deleted member 4366

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound practical to me. I would think that a 50cc motor scooter would be a better option. How far is the total journey if you went by bike?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Now I have to go by car but I wanna go by bus and bike, thats why I asked the question. Not planning to do the whole trip by bike, only a part. I have to bike from my home to the train station (5km), fold it, bus for half an hour and bike again for half an hour. Thats why I want an electric bike which goes a bit faster. By car it takes me the same time, only driving and not being able to read on the bus.
Maybe a combo possibility for you in the future:

http://www.velogical-engineering.com/velogical-velospeeder.en

Reactions: trex

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound practical to me. I would think that a 50cc motor scooter would be a better option. How far is the total journey if you went by bike?
Maybe an electric motorcycle?

Poeliii

Sep 14, 2014
A 36v Q100H will do about 24 mph with a 48v battery. BMSBattery do a 48v 11.6ah rack battery with a 18 amp sinewave controller that should be perfect or what you want.
I had a look and if I can get 24mph (+-) and a range of 50km i'm gonna buy this i guess. Would taking a 20amp battery increase my range alot?
Thanks for all the help!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I had a look and if I can get 24mph (+-) and a range of 50km i'm gonna buy this i guess. Would taking a 20amp battery increase my range alot?
Thanks for all the help!
The a/h rating of the battery is a bit like the fuel tank size on a car. So 20ah is going on toward double the 11.6ah

Poeliii

Sep 14, 2014
The a/h rating of the battery is a bit like the fuel tank size on a car. So 20ah is going on toward double the 11.6ah
I see, so it would maybe good to buy a larger one. Is there any tool how I can calculate an assumed speed (Max/min)?

D

Deleted member 4366

Cruising at over 20 mph takes a lot of battery. We can't gauge how hard you're going to pedal or how streamlined you and your bike will be. If you're thinking of using your bike like an electric motorcycle, 11.6ah wouldn't be enough.

A 20ah 48v battery is massive. If you're going to go that big, there's no point in fitting a light weight motor.

Poeliii

Sep 14, 2014
Hmm depends, right now with the 180W motor and 36V battery i have i did 27--28 kph at a fairly constant level (i had to pedal alot with it and was sweaty though). I was thinking of going with the 20ah to do the 40km by bike and charge it at work (+8h work day), would take me less long than the traffic now by car.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you want to go fast, you'd be much better with a lightweight streamlined bike like a road bike or hybrid with thin 700c wheels. You'll still need to pedal hard. If you want to go fast without too much pedal effort, you need a bike with a strong frame, decent suspension forks, a motor of at least 500w and a big heavy battery. If you charge at work, you don't need such a big battery, obviously.

Poeliii

Sep 14, 2014
If you want to go fast, you'd be much better with a lightweight streamlined bike like a road bike or hybrid with thin 700c wheels. You'll still need to pedal hard. If you want to go fast without too much pedal effort, you need a bike with a strong frame, decent suspension forks, a motor of at least 500w and a big heavy battery. If you charge at work, you don't need such a big battery, obviously.
I realise that, but considering I already had my original electric bike i thought of reworking it. But now I'm considering going from scratch as I'm thinking doing the 40k all the way for a while. Than it would indeed be better to take a light bike. Don't get me wrong, I'm sporty and cycled +1000km in 10 days in 5 countries, so I really want to pedel with the bike (even think with a race bike i'd be able to get 30kmh fairly constantly). but for this I want to minimize my travel time. If this means getting a new light bike and building a kit into it myself or getting a prebuild electric bike, fine :).