Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Hi

I have just replaced my back cassette from a 11-34 to a 11-42
Because when i was towing my trailer i was running out of gears
When i was pedalling so i thought it would be a better idea to change
the cassette

Since i have changed the cassette and got his bigger ratio i have also changed the chain to measure it correctly place the pin in and now every time i am pedalling the front chain ring keeps holding on to the chain and wont let me pedal at all

Has anyone come across this before and if so what is the fix to sort this out please

"Thanks in advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
It sounds like you may have the wrong size of chain that is narrower than your previous chain. It may be gripping the front chain ring. Check it against the old chain for the inner width space in the links.
If that's the case only a correct chain will fix it.
dave.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
If I am reading this correctly, you have changed the rear cassette, and drive chain, but not the front sprocket? It must be absolutely slaughtered after 2,000 miles of use.

If the above is correct, then I am puzzled why you wouldn't have just paid an extra £15.00 for a front sprocket. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
If I am reading this correctly, you have changed the rear cassette, and drive chain, but not the front sprocket? It must be absolutely slaughtered after 2,000 miles of use.
When i have it on the workstand it works fine and spins perfect but when i go to ride i cannot turn the pedals at all it like something is stopping it

i have put about three chains on this front sprocket i always check my chains regular for wear when the indicator shows it worn i take it
straight off and replace it with a new chain straight away

i will admit i haven't tuned the gears in but the chain won't move at all

D

Deleted member 4366

The cause is simple. You lengthened the chain to work with the bigger rear sprockets, so now, when your on any of the higher gears, it's too slack. Try increasing the tension on the derailleur tension adjuster screw (B-Screw). If that doesn't work, you'll need a longer derailleur. Normally, you would have had to bring the jockey wheel down to avoid collision with first gear, so that would have made the chain tension even lower. Or you can try a chain suck inhibitor device of some sort, which is basically a pin on a bracket that holds the chain down near the bottom of the drive sprocket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
It sounds like you may have the wrong size of chain that is narrower than your previous chain. It may be gripping the front chain ring. Check it against the old chain for the inner width space in the links.
If that's the case only a correct chain will fix it.
dave.

The old Chain was a 10 speed chain this one is 10 speed too