2009 carrera fury bbshd conversion

Physiomike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2013
Hi.
As a newby thanks for running this community of knowledge and interest in electric bikes.
I am looking for a bike to convert to bbshd. I read the carrera fury 2009 model has a truvativ powerspline 68mm bottom bracket. Would this work with the bbshd?
Also has anyone converted the current voodoo bizango. I believe its 73mm bb but not sure again on compatibility.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford
The Bizango proved to be well worth converting with a TSDZ2. By far the best one I’ve done and is a real delight to have but ....

I needed 2mm of spacers of 35mm diameter which, unfortunately, increased the chain line. Any thoughts of keeping the front derailleur were out of the question as a consequence. There is a chamfer cut into the TSDZ2 casing which you need to get over the rear stays - to cope with a wide 29” wheel the rear stays come “out” very fast to fit a 2.5” wide tyre and it’s getting them to fit which is the key.

However, I still got a 1x11 gear with 11-46t rear cassette to work.

Locking the TSDZ2 using the clamp was also not easy; this might be where the simpler mounting of a Bafang has an advantage - there just isn’t a lot of room down there, everything is squeezed together by the 29” wheel. If it’s of interest, I’ll photograph what I did.

According to my grandchildren it’s a “really cool bike” so ....

Physiomike

Mar 24, 2013
The Bizango proved to be well worth converting with a TSDZ2. By far the best one I’ve done and is a real delight to have but ....

Hi.
Thanks for the reply.
Its a great bike so would be good to convert. I am a bit concerned about cutting the motor housing, does this effec its waterproofing?

A picture would be great to help get my head around the job.

Thanks

Mike

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford
I presume you are thinking that I chamfered the housing? No, I didn’t! Its a permanent feature and is there for that purpose. The spacers just lift the frame off the chamfer/motor.

Physiomike

Mar 24, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Yes i have a terrible brain when it comes to picturing things. Would be very grateful of any pics you may have. Sounds like the bizango could be a solid option.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The main problem with the BBSHD is the large sec. gear housing touching the chainstay before it is up against the bottom bracket. You need about 67mm between the center of the bottom bracket and the point where the chainstay flares out beyond the level of the BB. This photo might help you understand it better.
2018-04-18 10.20.25.jpg
This is a 120mm BBSHD fitted to a 100mm BB with 10mm spacers both sides. You can see how the chainstay flares out far too early for the gear casing to sit against the BB, hence the 10mm spacer. It works on this Surly fat bike running a IGH, but on most bikes it will cause chain line issues with spacers behind the gear casing and also means you need a 100mm BBSHD, not ideal on a 73mm BB.

Physiomike

Mar 24, 2013
The main problem with the BBSHD is the large sec. gear housing touching the chainstay before it is up against the bottom bracket. You need about 67mm between the center of the bottom bracket and the point where the chainstay flares out beyond the level of the BB. This photo might help you understand it better.
View attachment 27918
This is a 120mm BBSHD fitted to a 100mm BB with 10mm spacers both sides. You can see how the chainstay flares out far too early for the gear casing to sit against the BB, hence the 10mm spacer. It works on this Surly fat bike running a IGH, but on most bikes it will cause chain line issues with spacers behind the gear casing and also means you need a 100mm BBSHD, not ideal on a 73mm BB.
Thats great thanks.
I will measure the space from centre of bb to chainstay in the shop before i make any moves.
It sounds like to type of bb ie truvativ powerspline should work
Cheers
Mike

DouglasXK

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
Oxford
32647A9A-C68D-4847-9641-EEFDC6FCBF0B.jpeg 91703F3A-1C43-4670-8548-1768D5F8EF4A.jpeg
Thanks for the reply. Yes i have a terrible brain when it comes to picturing things. Would be very grateful of any pics you may have. Sounds like the bizango could be a solid option.
In the pic you’re looking forward from the left hand side. The dreadfully drawn red arrow points to the clamp bolt which is passing through a rather odd shaped washer sitting in the junction of the two stays.

With the TSDZ2 there is a clamp bolt which prevents the motor rotating due to the reaction to the electrical energy being applied. With most frames there is no difficulty in fitting the clamp which is a small flat oval shaped thick washer, through which the clamp M8 bolt is fitted, and is supplied with the kit. However a 29” frame with a 73mm bottom bracket, it’s almost impossible - there isn’t enough room. It is possible if you use the small gap shown in the picture. The bolt, the location and the washer allow you to align the chamfer in the cover to the stay to obtain an optimum position.

I had a seat post saddle attachment nut which is what I’m using! I drilled it out to 8mm and the slightly oval shape fits rather well. A 15mm aluminium bar piece drilled through would be a perfect substitute. You might find it easier to remove the rear wheel to fit the motor.

The other picture shows the bike. One piece of advice with these 11-46 teeth cassettes is use the Shimano M8000 XT derailleur short cage. The clutch arrangement holds the chain brilliantly when its on the 46t! Up to now I have only ridden 200miles on the bike but, touch wood, it’s brilliant.

The bafang motors attempt to lock the motor in position by what is, to all intents and purposes, a shake proof lock washer applied to the shaft going through the bottom bracket. I’ve no opinion on the efficacy of this arrangement and have never used such a motor.

Physiomike

Mar 24, 2013
Thanks douglasxk.
Makes things so much clearer.
Great pics.
Will look up the derailleur too thanks