2009 Wisper 905 first impressions.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
David dropped the bike off last night and I was a bit suprised how different it looked, quite a bit has changed and it looks like all the problems I encountered have now been designed out of the new bike.

New seat post clamp will prevent the cracks I had appear.
New wheels to prevent the spoke problems I had.
New brake levers which work rather well with the V brakes.
New charging connector in the battery seems better than the slightly wobbly one I have.
The bottom bracket spindle is shorter which brings the chain ring closer to the frame and should stop the chain coming off.

Some small details have been looked at and changed that I wouldn't have expected:
The old luggager rack annoys me as the spring catches on pannier clips, the new one changes the shape slightly to stop that happening.
The handlebars have a safety lock to prevent the adjuster handle coming up accidentally and the handlebars collapsing, not been a problem for me yet.
The cabling has been tidied up.
The chain guard looks quite good in the flesh.
The key position in the battery has been changed and a folding key used, a much better design.
The lock is now integrated into the battery so wont sieze if used rarely.
The connector under the battery means one less cable flapping around, it also won't get worn through by the back tyre.

I've ridden it about 20 miles so far and the lack of suspension isn't as noticable as I expected, I've not been off road yet though. I also have left it restricted and it hasn't made a lot of difference to my journey time.
And I haven't broken it yet. :) Well unless you consider a mudguard bolt falling out a breakage, now fixed with a cable tie. :eek:

Dislikes:
I'm not that keen on the throttle but it's one of those things where personal taste varies a lot.
The megarange gears, I'm still looking for that elusive and useful 28 tooth sprocket that is missing!
The battery lock makes it harder to get the battery out, this is not a big deal and probably something that just needs practice on my part.

Overall I'm very impressed, Wisper have taken on board lots of comments and complaints and made improvements. The dislikes above are minor, one is consumable to change during a service and the other would cost about £20 to swap if I was that bothered.

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Constructive criticism alert!:

I'm finding the new Wisper "sport" on the website has lost a lot of its sportiness. Not that it's ever been particularly sporty.

It needs a slimmer seat and the handlebar stem needs lowering. It also needs the reflectors and lights removing. Possibly the mudguards too.

This is sport!:

But maybe I'm missing something. Maybe the Wisper guys have done some research and are aiming for the older people that have a slightly different idea of what "sport" is. I dunno..

If I get time later I'll post a photo of my Wisper.

cruiser

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mussels, thanks for the report on the 2009 Wisper 905 - which model do you have, btw? Were your problems with the earlier model related to off-road use in the main?

I'm particularly interested in your report as I'm considering having a 905 (not sure which model yet) sent out to me in Germany, where I live. There's no dealer network here for Wisper and so, undestandably, the reliability factor is very important to me. In fact, the lack of support in Germany is one reason why I may have to go with an alternative bike when I finally make my decision. I know that Wisper's customer service in the UK is highly thought of but I'm not sure how any warrant-related issues I may have would be dealt with. I also need a bike with which to tow a trailer carrying two dogs! (I've posted separately on this). The other bike on my - current - short list is the Kalkhoff Agattu C.

cruiser

Last edited:

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Wisper 905SE

Hi - Can anyone clarify for sure whether or not the new models still have the green deristrict button for off road use on them. I was sold the bike on the premise that it does.

Thanks

Rich

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough

I'm finding the new Wisper "sport" on the website has lost a lot of its sportiness. Not that it's ever been particularly sporty.

It needs a slimmer seat and the handlebar stem needs lowering. It also needs the reflectors and lights removing. Possibly the mudguards too.

But maybe I'm missing something. Maybe the Wisper guys have done some research and are aiming for the older people that have a slightly different idea of what "sport" is. I dunno..

If I get time later I'll post a photo of my Wisper.
No seat is going to keep everyone happy and and serious cyclist will change it for one to suit himself, so a generic comfy seat for the occasional user makes sense to me even though I have removed it.
The reflectors are a legal requirement like the bell so your sporty bike picture isn't what they actually sell. ;) The lights are a nice extra to save you buying a set if this is your first bike, they don't have to be fitted.
The handlebar stem is adjustable but as you say still remains a little tall for some people, I don't think anyone would consider an electric bike a sports bike and I would certainly not use it like I would a mountain bike.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
My only small critiscm I have with mine is that I would have prefered a full length mudguard on the front, I know mounting is awkward with the disk :(

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Mussels, thanks for the report on the 2009 Wisper 905 - which model do you have, btw? Were your problems with the earlier model related to off-road use in the main?

I'm particularly interested in your report as I'm considering having a 905 (not sure which model yet) sent out to me in Germany, where I live. There's no dealer network here for Wisper and so, undestandably, the reliability factor is very important to me. In fact, the lack of support in Germany is one reason why I may have to go with an alternative bike when I finally make my decision. I know that Wisper's customer service in the UK is highly thought of but I'm not sure how any warrant-related issues I may have would be dealt with. I also need a bike with which to tow a trailer carrying two dogs! (I've posted separately on this). The other bike on my - current - short list is the Kalkhoff Agattu C.

cruiser
My 905 has had a hard life, rough London streets and bumpy off road paths so it was likely to show up some problems. Without Wisper's support I would have reluctantly returned it to the retailer for a refund, but it looks like all the problems I experienced have been rectified in the new model and it should prove very robust.
I think Wisper has improved it's spares availability and if you are fairly good mechanically you will be able to fix most things in reasonable time. Norman will be able to offer advice and is a benefit most manufacturers don't have, though an experienced local retailer would be nice.
I'm not sure it would be the best choice for towing a heavy load but that's for the other thread.

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
No seat is going to keep everyone happy and and serious cyclist will change it for one to suit himself, so a generic comfy seat for the occasional user makes sense to me even though I have removed it.
The reflectors are a legal requirement like the bell so your sporty bike picture isn't what they actually sell. ;) The lights are a nice extra to save you buying a set if this is your first bike, they don't have to be fitted.
The handlebar stem is adjustable but as you say still remains a little tall for some people.
Oh I agree about the seat. I still use the original sometimes, it's very comfy. But I'm just talking about making the bike appealing to the target audience. Very few mountain bike manufacturers would use a sofa as their default seat.

and yes, reflectors etc are a legal requirement and even come with expensive mountain bikes. But these items are rarely shown in the marketing images. Go look! :)

I don't think anyone would consider an electric bike a sports bike and I would certainly not use it like I would a mountain bike.

The reason I chose the Wisper 905 SE was because of its mountain bike style. The sportier the better. It's not about using it for sport. I rarely take my Wisper over rough terrain.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Green button

Hi - Can anyone clarify for sure whether or not the new models still have the green deristrict button for off road use on them. I was sold the bike on the premise that it does.

Thanks

Rich
Hi Rich

The new bikes do not come with a green button as they are (strictly speaking) illegal.

However......

If you ask your supplier we have loads in stock and they can be retro fitted. We do not make a charge for them at the moment.

If you are going to use the bike "off road" you can permanently de-restrict it by opening the front connection box and removing the white loop from the de-restrict circuit, this is the point that the green button would be connected if you wanted to retro fit one.

Derestrictcable -100kb.jpg

All the best

David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Full mud guard

My only small critiscm I have with mine is that I would have prefered a full length mudguard on the front, I know mounting is awkward with the disk :(
Hi KJ

Full mudguards are now available from Norman at service@wisperbikes.com we have had special stays made to facilitate a full mudguard.

All the best David

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I swapped the stumpy mudguards for full length polycarbonate ones, about £20 in most shops.

Edit: or from Wisper as below.

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Green Button

Hi David

Thanks for the information thats really useful.

I must say this Forum and the support from the Shop and yourselves at Wisper has been great so far and I havn't even got the bike yet!!!!

I pick it up fully assembled and 1st 12 hour charge completed next Thursday from TETS. (A great service to provide if like me no time to fiddle around)

Many Thanks

Richard

p.s Prestiegne looked great fun and intend to take whole family next year.:) :)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I agree 100%

Hi Wibble

Yes of course it isn't really a fully fledged sport bike but it helps us to describe it in our range, the only real difference over the city is the city does not have suspension and does have full mudguards and a rack.

I also take your point on marketing photos maybe we should do the same, I will try some stripped down shots next time.

It still looks good though! :)

All the best David

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
New wheels to prevent the spoke problems I had.

I've ridden it about 20 miles so far and the lack of suspension isn't as noticable as I expected,

Dislikes:
I'm not that keen on the throttle but it's one of those things where personal taste varies a lot.
I am thinking of changing to one of these so I can have the same battery as my wife...

I had the same wheel problem as you and this is probably the only thing which is stopping me changing as my new RHINO wheel feels very secure...Do you think the new wheels are much stronger?

what do you mean by the lack of suspension?
edit: I did not know the city had no front suspension......

what is the difference with the new throttle?

Being technically challenged;) another reason for changing was to have the 2 year warranty...... but this does not extend to the battery it appears:confused:

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Oops! e daisy.............

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I had the same wheel problem as you and this is probably the only thing which is stopping me changing as my new RHINO wheel feels very secure...Do you think the new wheels are much stronger?

what is the difference with the new throttle?

Being technically challenged;) another reason for changing was to have the 2 year warranty...... but this does not extend to the battery it appears:confused:
The original wheels always took me between 4 hours and a week to break, I have this bike for a week so watch this space. :)
The new throttle is a split handgrip similar to a lot of gear changes, again I'll let you know if I get used to it.
I thought the battery did have a 2 year warranty now. :confused: It's prettier anyway.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
does the bike without suspension feel lighter? Will be interested to see how you feel re this as I may go for it if its lighter and not to much different on the road (weight in a motorhome is a problem so any saving is good)

The warranty:

The main frame
Six years

Gears, bearings, motor shell, hub motor,front forks
Two years

Handle bar controls, brakes (excluding brake shoes and pads)
One year

Controller and Charger
Two years

Battery casing, battery leak, battery capacity step-down more than 30%
One year

Paintwork (excluding deliberate or accidental damage)
Two years

Front and rear axle, flywheel or chain wheel
One year

Electro plating, on wheel rims, rack and kickstand
Six months

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
As it is and then with no muds,lights,reflectors. RidoR2 Seat and shortened handles. the power of photoshop!!
Fancy!

Although it's not just the height of the handlebars, but also the angle of the stem. A mountain bike's stem tends to be more parallel to the ground.

But the Wisper sport on the website seems to be adopting the upright angled stem.

Similar to this:

;)