Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Reviewer: Mussels

Time Owned: 2 years

Distance covered: 15,000 Km

Local Terrain: Varied
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
Generally good components, this bike came with some weak parts but I believe Wisper has upgraded all these on later models.

Motor: This is good, it pulls well up steep hills and freewheels well when I want to ride above the maximum motor speed. It can be a little noisy but not enough to bother me. The newer models have a quieter version.
Battery: I have had a few problems with the battery but the cells are still strong after two years and show no obvious signs of aging, after 1.5 hours riding there's no noticable drop in power.
Brakes: This bike has Shimano cable disc brakes, they are OK but not great. They have been replaced by hydraulic brakes on later models.
Gears: The Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub is excellent, good range and robust.
Wiring: Well thought out and routed. The front distribution box gets in the way if you want the handlebars low and one of the brake cutoff cables broke as a result, this has been changed on more recent models. The display is clear and has a useful backlight.
Bottom bracket: Previously cup and cone BBs have meant a lot of maintenance and trouble, these sealed bearings have required no attention at all.
Frame: Despite a short seat tube it is a large frame which promotes a more sporting riding position than many bikes, this is good or bad depending on your riding style.
Tyres: The Kenda tyres that came with it performed well and were strong, much better than I expected.
Weaknesses:
Wheels: These are better than wheels on budget bikes but I still had to have the back one rebuilt with a stronger rim after a couple of months, these have now been replaced on later models.
Seatpost: This is on the short side for anyone with a 32" inside leg and will probably need replacing, I didn't like the suspension part.
Inner tubes: These have slime in them which meant when I got a puncture I couldn't repair it with a patch.
Handlebars: I've had a couple of problems with them coming loose, the stem has been changed on later models. The handlebars are very wide, not great when filtering or trying to get through doorways. Despite the great width the shape means there is little space available for mounting accessories on the bars.
Battery: This is in both sections as despite the core cells being good it has been the most troublesome part of the bike. Parts came loose to start with, then the fuse holder melted, the connection with the bike has worn out, the case hasn't stood up well to many potholed miles. In all it's not as good as the old type of case Wisper used but they have been quick to fix issues with it.
Chainguard: This is a very good thing to have but the plastic breaks easily, I believe it has been replaced with a stronger aluminium version.
Summary:
In all I'm very pleased with this bike, it handes the miles well with relatively low maintenance. It's not cheap but this is seen in the bicycle components, total cost of ownership is probably comparible with a cheaper bike that would need more upgrades and repairs. If you need a reliable bike to commute on it's worth the extra.
As always the manufacturer backup has been unsurpassed, spares are available easily (if a little costly) and the UK service centre is available to help the retailers out.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8