2012 Haibike eQ Xduro FS arrived

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
After ordering the bike in october, it finally arrived this weekend. Here´s some pictures: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104382835207919309208/albums/5718368051930393921?hl=no&authkey=CKWHgrfepqboGg

It´s a proper bike, and by that I mean quality components like Fox / Magura / Shimano XT. The Bosch charger, drive unit, battery and display seems solid too. I think the price is fair for what you get.

The impulse response from the motor is pretty good. There is a little bit of lag, but not much to complain about yet...the real test will be tricky trail stuff. Need to wait for the trails to dry up first. In the mean time I´ve tested the bike on mostly tarmac. Motor is as strong as you´d expect and the battery is good for 30-50km with max assistance. Removal of the 25kph limit will reduce range of course.

There is much to like about this bike. I look forward to many rides this year :)

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Fox suspension all round, nice upgrade. I see Haibike are offering a lower spec version of this bike now also.

Why wait for the trails to dry up? :)

Last edited:

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Why wait for the trails to dry up? :)
Studded tires on packed snow / ice is fine, but right now there´s wet snow and ice that breaks up when you ride over it. Not ideal. I´ll wait a week or two :)

Happy with your Haibike?

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
When My Westfield sells one of these will be my next purchase.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
That is a fine bike Tor.......I am sure you will be very happy with it!

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
What a lovely bike. What does it weigh? Also would be interested in what it's like off-road going up steep muddy hills. Enjoy.
PS I'd also be interested in how it goes with limiter removed.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
just under 20kg I think, they just run and run apparently if de restricted but kiss goodbye to the 2 year warranty if you break it.....Remember its almost a 3k bike

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Youre giving up your Westie for a bike!!! I've had mine for 11 years.... and nothing would part me from it!
I'm not giving it up for a bike - it's just that I never have the opportunity to drive it. My work office has moved nearer to where I live so I no longer have a nice country drive route to work anymore and driving through the middle of Blackpool is horrendous (hence the electric bike).

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Lots of se7en owners here, I've got a Caterham myself. Picked it up at the factory 14 years ago :)

Haibike says 20.3kg, I guess plus pedals. Feels just fine on the road.

Sadly it's a bit harder to derestrict the 25kph limit this model year...Bosch found out about the cadence sensor trick..who told?!!

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Thanks all for the info. I have a Specialized Epic full sus with an ezee front hub and it weighs just over 20kg with battery but I like the idea of a crank drive and this Haibike really appeals, but not so much at 25kph. You say 'it's lot harder' but is is still possible? - don't say 'how' in case Bosch are listening.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Lovely looking bike. Just the price makes my eyes water.

I'm sure you'll have a great time on it on the trails.
Although I'l stick to my Giant for that stuff.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Studded tires on packed snow / ice is fine, but right now there´s wet snow and ice that breaks up when you ride over it. Not ideal. I´ll wait a week or two :)

Happy with your Haibike?
I've been up, down and around just about everything and anything, more than I would attempt with my Marin FS mountain bike (mainly due to the motor assist where my legs would not have the strength). I love the bike, it's holding together well, it's more than capable of XC, the only thing it can't really do is large drops, but then it's not a downhiller its an XC bike, greasy, muddy, rocky, rooty, steep trails are it's natural home, it'll tackle anything (as long as you have the technical skill/balls), believe me!

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I've been up, down and around just about everything and anything, more than I would attempt with my Marin FS mountain bike (mainly due to the motor assist where my legs would not have the strength). I love the bike, it's holding together well, it's more than capable of XC, the only thing it can't really do is large drops, but then it's not a downhiller its an XC bike, greasy, muddy, rocky, rooty, steep trails are it's natural home, it'll tackle anything (as long as you have the technical skill/balls), believe me!
That sounds a lot like our terrain up here north, great to hear it copes well! How does it behave on the drops, is it nose heavy?

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Hi Tor
Glad to see you on other forums , bike looks great

Cakey
(opti , espire , stork cosworth ) my steeds

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Thanks all for the info. I have a Specialized Epic full sus with an ezee front hub and it weighs just over 20kg with battery but I like the idea of a crank drive and this Haibike really appeals, but not so much at 25kph. You say 'it's lot harder' but is is still possible? - don't say 'how' in case Bosch are listening.
Here's a document in german, try google translate: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BmNIIOq38CdrwXpkUWeWDtqp2MRzjVjqJyjySQnnVt8/edit

I think you either have to split the cable to the sensor and insert a frequency divider (a flip-flop) or make up a pulse generator which is then placed close to the sensor.

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Hi Tor
Glad to see you on other forums , bike looks great
Hi Cakey,

a comparison between the Optibike and the Xduro FS would be interesting. Unfortunately my Opti never ran properly and is now dead. Are you near a dealer?

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Hi Tor
That would be interesting . Could also take my storck 250 w and espire 1200 w along for a real fun day
Cakey
Ps did you sell the opti? mine has 50k on it now , a bit noisy but runs great

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Cakey, and welcome to the forum. Have never heard of an espire.....do you have any info?

what is the stork like, is it quiet

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
That sounds a lot like our terrain up here north, great to hear it copes well! How does it behave on the drops, is it nose heavy?

I wouldn't say that it feels nose heavy, it's neutral really, however it naturally needs more of a pull on the bars when negotiating obstacles compared to an unpowered bike, due to it's extra weight. I notice this more when switching back to the Marin for a ride as I end up nearly wheelying the Marin when pulling the bars up to get over something. It's something you get used to pretty quickly though.