2016 Giant Road e+1 display in KPH not MPH

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
How do you rate the rate the Giant road E and are there any minus points.
I would rate it as the best bike I have owned.
Negatives mean being really picky, but..

1/ Its not easy to shift up to the big ring when not under power, and I fancy that doing so will wear it out (shifting up under power is perhaps the main cause of chipped teeth) . By this I dont mean it wont change up, I mean you have to be sure to ease off if under the cutoff. I have found the quickest way away from the lights is to set off in 4th on the 34T inner, spin it up and then shift to the 50T outer with the sudden cadence drop bringing the power on tap in a very satisfying way.. To stay on the small ring means you are quickly up to 10 or 11 shifting 2 or 3 at a time.

2/ Power drops off at low speed with high cadence.. Not sure exactly as I dont yet have a cadence sensor on but if you like to spin up to 100 rpms in a low gear there isn't much help from the motor if under the cut off.

3/ The mode buttons are in a bad place and are a bit hard to push, but that's the drop bars with not too many mounting options.

4/ The charger plug is awkward to push in but there is a knack to doing it.

As I said really picky, not complaints, nor even grumbles....

If I could change one thing (excluding the display) I would go 48T on the outer ring (an old man thing...)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I would rate it as the best bike I have owned.
Negatives mean being really picky, but..

1/ Its not easy to shift up to the big ring when not under power, and I fancy that doing so will wear it out (shifting up under power is perhaps the main cause of chipped teeth) . By this I dont mean it wont change up, I mean you have to be sure to ease off if under the cutoff. I have found the quickest way away from the lights is to set off in 4th on the 34T inner, spin it up and then shift to the 50T outer with the sudden cadence drop bringing the power on tap in a very satisfying way.. To stay on the small ring means you are quickly up to 10 or 11 shifting 2 or 3 at a time.

2/ Power drops off at low speed with high cadence.. Not sure exactly as I dont yet have a cadence sensor on but if you like to spin up to 100 rpms in a low gear there isn't much help from the motor if under the cut off.

3/ The mode buttons are in a bad place and are a bit hard to push, but that's the drop bars with not too many mounting options.

4/ The charger plug is awkward to push in but there is a knack to doing it.

As I said really picky, not complaints, nor even grumbles....

If I could change one thing (excluding the display) I would go 48T on the outer ring (an old man thing...)
You could change the cassette from a 11 up to a say a 12-26 that would make your top gear more suited.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

mike tatt

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2016
Worsthorne, Lancashire
Following up on Phill's thoughts on the Giant Road E

Thought I'd share similar on the Giant Dirt E

After three weeks with the E+Dirt

Getting used to riding again - ‘Bike Craft’ and confidence improving rapidly.

Love the bike - but if I could change anything - and these are minor blips - and some probably caused by me still getting used to riding again after quite a few years break.

1. Colour - not exactly subtle - a bit bright for my tastes and will be using it for a commute shortly so want it to be a little more anonymous - vinyl car wrap ordered - so it will soon be less yellow and more black. Will hopefully protect the paint job as well.
Yes - I bought it - I knew it was yellow - but the best part of a £500 discount over rrp made me colour blind.

2. Obviously the comp - Learned to live with KPH — and it might even help me when i do my next tour around Europe - but it’s also not removable - hmm - bit of a their magnet maybe.

3. Agree with Phil - rubbery controls for power mode seem stiff - but it feels durable - and I have to say that it is actually quite responsive - once you get used to it - press and forget - no worries - but not as well designed as some of he other Yamaha setups I tested.

4. Off road - the extra weight seems to make it more challenging when dragging the bike around a steep down hill corner at speed - to be honest this is probably more down to my lack of skill / experience than the bike - but the extra mass seems seems to add to the momentum. Someone with more experience would probably have no issues.

5. Gearing: 24/38 Cogs. 24 seems to do nothing for me - except getting my legs spinning (Cadence?) with not much effect - unless on the steepest slopes where it may help a little - but then I have a Yamaha motor - which gives enough help to get me up the steepest incline I’d be comfortable climbing.

I tend to keep it on the 38 - brilliant for scooting up and down some of the rougher tracks and most trails - you need to put in a bit more leg work at times - but I like that - all part of getting fitter.

BUT - when I get on the road I feel that when I’m in gear 18 and over the 25kph limit - on the flat could do with gear 19 - or 20.
Not sure whether I need a bigger or more toothy cog - but 95% happy with it - so one for future research.

6. The seat post needs to drop an extra inch - it’s too long (for me) - and I can’t find my hacksaw

ALSO
Thinks I like

Climbs hills superbly - better than I had ever hoped - has honestly opened up a whole new world to explore.

Sure footed over rock ground - although I can now appreciate the concept of rear suspension ! !

Brakes are very good - a bit sharp to start but have bedded in well

Comfy riding position - apart from the seat post being too long

Good on the road - even with the knobbly tyres (Schwalbe Rapid Rob’s) - fork lock out helps on smoother roads - If I end up doing more road work - I might change the tyres - but not yet - having far too much fun.

Durable - took quite a tumble on week 1 - a dented peddle and a few minor scuffs - I was a bit worse off - lol

Cheers
Mike

Last edited: