2017 cube Bosch powered hybrid

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I mentioned to a colleague I had been playing ebike kits. He said he had a Cube hybrid circa 2017 he had bought off another colleague for £400. I think it has the old style Bosch 500wh battery. He last used it about a year ago and as the bike is 5 years old I suspect the battery is worthless. Apparently the rest of the bike is in good condition. He didn't know much about it apart from it being orange...

I'm guessing maybe something like: https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/Cube-DELHI-HYBRID-PRO-500-E-BIKE-2017

Now, needless to say I would want to find out more but I think he wants it out of his shed.

My guess is these have limited value as the battery replacement cost is huge and who knows how long the motor may last? Are there folks reliably re-celling Bosch batteries? My feeling is I'll pass on this but just curious if what folks actually do with their old Bosch bikes? Feels like a green idea that ultimately is maybe not that green ...

At least my conversion is a 26+ year old bike

C

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if the batt is working and charging then it will still be usable if it is doa then it is a bin job as if left and not charged they will drain the cells to 0v and brick the bms.

i have a batt from 2016 and still get good range from it but has lost its kick amp wise but those gen 2 bosch motors are pretty bomb proof and can be serviced.

a new bosch 500w batt is £633 if you can find one in stock as made to order but there is someone in the uk that can recell these batts but looking at 500-550 for that and it can go wrong.

my bike is 10 years old this year ;)

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if you can get it for like 200 quid you could just sell it for parts as those motors go for 350 quid with low mileage.

but the new smart frame batts wont work with these old motors so you could use that to get it even cheaper becose bosch like all the others dont want these things fixed and just expect you to throw it in the bin and go get a new one for 10k.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
£400 is a great price.

The prices people ask for older/broken e-bikes are ridiculous.

I bid £1650 for a spares/repair Nukeproof megawatt that I wanted to convert to bafang. It went for £2100!

A new one is £3700. I thought £1650 was a high bid and expected it to go for £1500 tops.

Reactions: ChuckingFeet

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
We'll, waiting for my colleague to take a look in his shed this weekend. I have the flu so in stuck in bed . I think the last time used it he managed an Achilles heal injury and spent some time in a boot. I think he has gone off cycling...

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
We'll, waiting for my colleague to take a look in his shed this weekend. I have the flu so in stuck in bed . I think the last time used it he managed an Achilles heal injury and spent some time in a boot. I think he has gone off cycling...
Swap the Bosch battery and motor for bafang.

I’ve seen it done on a cube bike.