2017 E-Silence EVO

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
I understand that the Kalkhoff 2017 models will have an improved motor in that there have been modifications to current Evo motor and I'm told bearings will be larger. I read something some time ago on one of the sites that the bearings were not big enough?
Officially, there was no widespread issue with Impulse 2 motors, but a large number of faults proved them wrong.

Then, Kalkhoff eventually acknowledged the issue and released a software update that was resolving "100%" of the issue... but quite a lot of buyers have had failures despite that update (or recently on new bikes).

Then the issue was not applicable to Impulse Evo motors, but quite a lot of people seem to be having failures.

And now, they are releasing an improved version of the Evo motors, with better bearings, for a motor that was fine anyway...

I think it's best to forget the full Impulse range, and buy a bike powered by Bosch, Panasonic, Yamaha or Shimano motors instead.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi all,
Thank you for your comments
Scott have advised that this bike will not be available in Australia for some time (if ever) due to the current lack of after sales support for the product
According to this article http://www.outkomm.ch/presse_downloads/SCOTT/2016-08-31 Bike Highlights 2017/PDF/PM_Scott_17-1_E-Bike Line-Up_2017_Highlight_Media Info_EN.pdf there is a smart frame opening in the seat stay to allow belt changes. Could it be where the strut for the carrier joins at the seat stay?

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I'm assume EWheels is Australian, if so Avanti do an equivalent. "Inc E" , local NZ Avanti dealer has one shop so ring round. I think price as around $4k which is very good for belt drive. I think you can retro fit Di2 to Nexus 8.

The other alternative is Smartmotion Pacer.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Trevormonty
Yes you assume correctly I am in Australia
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into these

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Another thing: I can't see a join in the frame to get the belt off. There must be one somewhere to put the belt on in the first place. How does it work?
I think the explanation is the pic has been tinkered with to make the bike look smoother - there are no valves on the rims.

Quite a few bike publicity shots are messed around with.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think the explanation is the pic has been tinkered with to make the bike look smoother - there are no valves on the rims.

Quite a few bike publicity shots are messed around with.
I think you're right. I can imagine that some people would get a bit nervous about a frame with a join in it, so they want to make it as invisible as possible. There there was a photo of an actual bike somewhere, and it didn't seem to have anything extra on it other than the obvious. Whatever it is, it must be something clever. I'll have to wait until I see one in the flesh to figure it out. I hate these loose ends.