36V DC to 6V AC Inverter - Such a Beast?

Aushiker

Pedelecer
I had hoped to run a Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ2 179B on my bike but it has been pointed out to me that it required a 6V AC power source and of course the current from a e-bike battery is DC and hence my DC to DC converter is not going to do the trick.

I have done a bit of search without luck but maybe not searching for the right thing. Does anyone know of a 36C DC to 6V AC inverter that could be used on a bike?

I already have the light and I prefer these sorts of lights so would like to use it if possible or if someone new of a source for the 179E that would be nice too :)

If all else fails I can fit a dynamo front wheel. Not a big issue as I have one on standby for another bike.

Thanks
Andrew

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I think d8veh asked that question in a tongue in cheek sort of way. Dynamos do indeed make DC, but bike dynamos are in fact alternators producing AC. Another way of looking at it, is that all real dynamos produce AC in the armature, but this is changed to DC for the output by a "mechanical rectifier" consisting of a commutator and carbon brushes.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've been thinking about it. If you wanted an AC source for it from the battery. what frequency would it be?

I suspect that as soon as any AC comes in to it, it's rectified into DC through a full wave rectifier, so it'll probably work off DC. Try it with two or three AA cells in series to see if it works. It shouldn't matter which way round you connect them.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
It seems that Chris Nolte from Long Island Electric Bikes is bringing an inverter from China to try out so there maybe an option in the future.

In the meantime I will need to decide to wait, come up with another source or maybe bite the bullet and go with a Supernova E3 E-Bike light such as the V1260 and repurpose my Busch & Muller IQ2 179B or 179U to my off-road touring mountain bike which should have a light on it anyway.

Andrew

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Why don't you try it with DC? You'll probably save yourself a lot of time and expense. I bet the Chris Nolte one is DC anyway.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Why don't you try it with DC? You'll probably save yourself a lot of time and expense. I bet the Chris Nolte one is DC anyway.
It has been reported the light does die over time ... I can repurpose this light so would rather not do that.

I have found a slightly cheaper option in the form of a Busch & Muller LUMOTEC IQ Cyo T (Item 175Q75/6TSNE-07) from a German Amazon retailer ... EUR 149.90. I have emailed the regular German retailers I use to see if they can get them as they sell less the VAT which makes the price more reasonable (and charge around 50% less in postage).

Andrew

Aushiker

Pedelecer
An update for anyone looking for information in the future. I placed an order this evening for a Busch & Muller IQ Cyo Premium model no. 1752Q42/6N0491. This is the 80 lux version sans the daylight running feature but with the premium light beam. I was able to to get it from a German retailer, Elektrofahrrad24 who where willing to update their shopping cart to allow orders from Australia and to lower their shipping cost form €42 to €29.95 which is what http://Starbikes.com charge. Ended up costing €104.85 which is a bit high compared to the likes of http://bike24.net but they couldn't get them, nor could http://starbike.com

Will be interesting to see how they pan out. Hopefully worth the dollars and the light spread is as indicated.

Andrew