40 miles approx!

JB0311

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 31, 2022
Well I have only had my D4s about a month, I fully charged it and just started using it going here n there as I was curious of the range I would get. First few days I kept in on assist 3, then after that I started to use assist 1 more, unless there was a hill! I tried out the speed hack for about half hour too, that was good, but that really does drain the battery, so I went back to standard mode! Anyway the battery went down to 1 bar before I decided to get it back home and charge it, that was just infer 40 miles( roughly 60 km) I am well impressed though, but from now on I won’t run the battery so low before charging, that was a one off!!

Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That's good mileage for a 36v 10.4Ah battery made with "not-premium" cells. I have read a few tales of D4S owners removing the speed limit and riding on throttle only and then being suprised the range wasn't as advertised!

One thing with all Fiido bikes that seems common is you need to keep an eye on spoke tension, especially when the bike is quite new and the spokes are bedding in: Even though the rims have eyelets, the spokes can loosen and then break if not monitored and tightened. I had 3 on my D11 that worked a little loose after the first 100 miles, and just one or two since, so catch them early!

What are you using your D4S for (commuting, leisure, shopping)?

Reactions: JB0311

JB0311

Jan 31, 2022
Thanks for the reply, I actually bought the bike second hand from somebody, that’s why I wanted to check the battery out etc. I am only using it for leisure, I was starting to struggle with my normal bike, (52 and getting on!) so I wanted to get a foldable one that I could put in the boot of the car and also give a bit of assistance, I’m loving it too! I have read about spokes etc but touch wood I think mine are ok . Can’t wait for it to warm up a bit outside so I can enjoy it more !

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
You were lucky finding one second hand, as the price when new has risen by about £100 in just a year. It's a very solid, well thought out little folder IMHO.

There's plenty here struggling with normal bikes and transitioning to e-bikes (me included). Doing the car-boot thing, I'd highly recommend adding a rear rack. Here's me exploring National Trust land last week, in Bedfordshire, in the cold... a Pot Noodle and hot coffee keeping me warm.

NT Picnic Small.jpg

Reactions: JB0311 and guerney

JB0311

Jan 31, 2022
Yeah I was very lucky, I ended up getting it for 350. So quite a bargain! Good picture by the way too, looks a nice area to cycle. No I don’t actually go to boot fairs on it, I think u misread lol I said I got a folding one to put in the boot of my car, so I can drive to other places to ride.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Yeah I was very lucky, I ended up getting it for 350. So quite a bargain! Good picture by the way too, looks a nice area to cycle. No I don’t actually go to boot fairs on it, I think u misread lol I said I got a folding one to put in the boot of my car, so I can drive to other places to ride.
That is a very good price given the battery seems to be up-to-snuff too. Very lucky. Glad you're enjoying it too.

No, I didn't mean car boot fairs either! I meant putting your folding bike in the boot of your car to travel to an otherwise too distant location, and cycling from there... I do that too with my D11, and I have a VW Transporter with bed, fridge, cooker, heater etc for my full sized e-bikes if/when I tour even further away from home perhaps with an overnight stop or two.

Truth is though, having a folding ebike in the boot of a car is I find far easier to park than a van if you're doing day trips to (for example) a busy City like Oxford or a coastal town like Cromer where parking can be horrendous. It gives you far more scope for exploring.

A rear rack is I'm finding a real boon and preferable to a back-pack for a rain jacket, puncture kit, and/or lunch on trips out. Upgrading brakes and tyres is quite a popular option too on most Fiido models.

Any plans for "upgrading" your D4S or are you happy with it just as it is?

walking

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2021
On mostly levels 2 and 3 , level 1 a bit slow in fairly hilly South Downs , i get over 50 miles range , a great little bike. I do 25-30 miles leisure rides , get uncomfortable after that , or 8 mile ew commutes.

Reactions: JB0311