44 tooth Bafang chainring needed - pronto please!

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
Hi,

Has anyone got a 44 tooth Bafang 8fun chainring knocking about (new would be nice) as the missus needs it for our holiday.
I can Paypal the seller immediately :)

I've left it a bit late (as usual!) :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Scott

D

Deleted member 4366

Buy a standard 5 bolt 44T chainwheel. Drill 5 holes in your Bafang chainwheel and bolt the two together. That's what i did on my GNG, and it worked fine. You can probably get a better chainline too.

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
Buy a standard 5 bolt 44T chainwheel. Drill 5 holes in your Bafang chainwheel and bolt the two together. That's what i did on my GNG, and it worked fine. You can probably get a better chainline too.
Bloody 'ell Dave! Have a bit of finesse will you? :p

Reactions: Fordulike

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
Ha! :D

I took the bike for a wee hill climb the other day, and I was surprised at how well it climbed on the 46 ring.

Does anyone want to buy a Bafang 130 BCD Chain Ring adapter - brand new and unused?

Sensible offers please! :)

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
Actually...

I've just tried to fit the bracket and it seems the chainring bolts hit the motor!

It throws the chainline so far out of sync with the rear mech, that it only works on the top three gears on the rear sprockets.

As you can see by the pictures, even if I mount the chainring bolts on the inside of the bracket (which is not the correct way) there is still not enough room as the bolt would hit the motor.

Any ideas?20150720_100703.jpg20150720_100553.jpg20150720_094635.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you put some spacer washers underneath it to bring it away from the motor, then mount the chainring on the inside?

Reactions: anotherkiwi

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Or stick with the 46 tooth? You'll be doing a lot of climbing so if necessary you could put a bigger cassette on the back, but your 46-28 will climb most things you throw at it. After all Alpe d'Huez isn't the steepest in terms of maximum gradient (average 8.1%, steepest 11.5%), just very, very long and gruelling which a crank drive doesn't care about if it's spinning comfortably.

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
Or stick with the 46 tooth? You'll be doing a lot of climbing so if necessary you could put a bigger cassette on the back, but your 46-28 will climb most things you throw at it. After all Alpe d'Huez isn't the steepest in terms of maximum gradient (average 8.1%, steepest 11.5%), just very, very long and gruelling which a crank drive doesn't care about if it's spinning comfortably.
Hi Michael,
The chainline is on quite a bit of an angle from the 46 to the 28. Hence, I'm trying to limit it. The rear derailleur isn't aligning properly, and I think that moving the front 46 towards the frame may help.

If all else fails; it's the 46! ;)

Scott_J

Pedelecer
Jan 27, 2015
Took a trip to Evans and picked up a 42 chainring, bolts and spacers.
Got home and had a go at fitting to bike.

Even with mounting the chainring on the inside of the bracket (with no spacers attached) it was actually further from the frame than before! :mad:

Back to Evans to get my money back and the 46 wins :(

I'm hoping the chain will bed in and run a bit smoother in the lower gears.

Like, yeah? :rolleyes: