4th Wisper on order, what to do with the old ones…

TheAntiTheo

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2021
Hi All,

I have a new 705 on order for my lovely wife, and refurbed my 806fe from the ground up! Happy commuting times!!

I now have a circa 2012 705se and 905sel for spares and repairs, both have worn out batteries, mostly run mechanically and powered fine last year.. is it worth trying to convert to a crate of beer or do I just recycling centre them!?!

Thanks,
Chris

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi Chris, not something I can help with but for background I was very grateful to pick up a cheap non-working Ebike last year just to have a project to keep me occupied and as a way to learn more about Ebikes.
I've had very good dealings with people on this forum so either advertise the bikes on here, or you could advertise on Ebay / gumtree etc but you may have to deal with dreamers / timewasters.

If anyone is interested but is unable to collect, a friend recommended sites https://www.shiply.com/ and https://www.anyvan.com/ - you put an advert there to say you want a price to move a cycle from ABC to XYZ and man-with-a-van types will give you their price, I was looking to get a bike 100 miles from Devon to Wales and got quotes under £50, other people have had bikes moved for £30/£40.

I prefer not to scrap things which could be reparied or used for parts so the council tip would be my last resort. Hope that gives you some idea of your options, thanks for asking :)

Reactions: atheo

TheAntiTheo

May 15, 2021
Fair points, I am an engineer so throwing away working things hurts my bones ;-)

I will pop all the bits on the classified pages and see if anyone want / collects from Woottton Basset.

thanks,
Chris

Reactions: Scorpio

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Scrapping an ebike that in all purposes is sound barring a battery replacement would be wasteful.
If the bikes are in working condition esp electrically and they just only need a new battery and minor tinkering then they would be an ideal opportunity for someone to get into ebiking on the cheaper side. A new battery can be any two wire generic battery that can be fitted to make them work or could be re-celled at as a cheaper option, typically a battery can be bought for between £180 - £300 just depends on how much capacity ah/wh one is looking for and the usage.

Georgehenry is proof that an old or unused ebike has good life still left in it with his £100 Cyclamatic bought on this forum some years ago.

If any one is unsure or doesn't know much about bikes them we forum members are here to help with advice and instruction on how to maintain or get your bike working.

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Nealh is spot on here, scrapping them would be wasteful. Because e bikes are in very short supply and they are a pair suitable for a couple getting into e biking I am sure you would sell them easily depending on your location. Start a thread with a couple of pics and a desc to ascertain a forum value and then put them in the for sale section/ebay/facebook marketplace etc

Ja_T

May 24, 2018
My bro is looking for a bike atm Chris you have any pictures? I'm sure he would give u £100 plus for the frame and a good motor. If he just had to add a battery would give him more scope to spend on a better battery.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hi Chris
I'd be interested in your bikes, I'm always looking for a project, or 2 and have a couple of friends on limited funds who can't find anything affordable, prices seem crazy ATM for bikes far worse than yours. I saved a Wisper 905 from the grave a couple of years ago and it's still going strong, great bikes.
Pete

Reactions: Nealh

namwos

Mar 22, 2020
I’ve replied to your classified listing.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I've got to say a huge forum thanks to Chris for his extremely kind generosity in donating 2 great bikes to my "ebike recycling scheme". Along with some other scavenged parts I should be able to supply a couple of deserving friends with a working bike and decent battery for around £250-£300 who would otherwise not be able to afford one and make a little money for my time and efforts. Top man:)